Captain Jack Shadow

This is not fun!

20190207212237_1.jpg?width=1202&height=6

20190207212739_1.jpg

20190207213031_1.jpg

So yeah, eventually tamed, but lost taming effectiveness.

I do NOT feel challenged, I feel frustrated.  I absolutely hate this taming system as well as it's bugs.  At least in ARK, I felt in control of whether I succeeded or failed at taming something.  Rarely, I made a mistake, but when I did, I accepted that it was my mistake.  In this game, it is nothing but frustration, so I normally let others deal with it.

Don't even get me started on the ridiculous and constant heat waves on tropical islands where I have have a very high fortitude, a level 30 parrot on  my shoulder, cloth armor on, and I am still dying.   I am nearly done with this.  It's simply not fun.  The only time it's really fun to me is at sea on the ships, sailing around, or fighting.

• Like 1

Have you tried using a shield? I found it helped tremendously in overcoming hard to reach/glitchy feed spots (can't solve all wall related problems). Since it blocks damage from their attacks and allows you to feed through the shield, you can just ignore trying to find the "perfect" feed spot and just face tank feed. Keep in mind that when the shield durability goes to 0, it will still look like you have a working shield, but it won't block anything.

• Like 2

Interesting.  I will give that a try.  I hope they fix this whole system though.  I really do not like anything about it.  I would prefer a longer, more interactive method, where you take them tranq'd, back to your base, and tame them there...and as I said, more interactive, in a more realistic fashion.  The only good thing about this over the ARK taming, is that it doesn't take hours to tame.  But, I would be OK with hours, so long as it didn't punish you for having to log off in the middle of taming.

10 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Don't even get me started on the ridiculous and constant heat waves on tropical islands where I have have a very high fortitude, a level 30 parrot on  my shoulder, cloth armor on, and I am still dying.   I am nearly done with this.  It's simply not fun.  The only time it's really fun to me is at sea on the ships, sailing around, or fighting.

My tropical island is the opposite. The average temperature is between 40f and 54f, with a cold snap of 32f every few days, and then the 125f heat waves a day or three after.  I love freezing to death while hunting coconuts and chopping down palm trees.

3 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

My tropical island is the opposite. The average temperature is between 40f and 54f, with a cold snap of 32f every few days, and then the 125f heat waves a day or three after.  I love freezing to death while hunting coconuts and chopping down palm trees.

The survival aspect is always overdone in survival games.  It should not actually be the focus...more like the backdrop.  Live in the cold...OK, make fur armor.  Live in the tropics...maybe have something like a coconut salve you make, and so long as you have that, you are good for a while.

It's hard to tame as a solo player actually. Taming areas blocks the feeding spot too often.

We started to tame without an area. But u need to be two players in minimum.

Worked fine with elephants 🙂

I share your pain, we have the same problem with elephants.
Unless you're in the exact position and the game decides it's in a good mood, feeding one is a nightmare.

Yeah...the taming mechanics is pretty bad.   Was taming an elephant and it just stop eating.  Just make it like Ark....everything else is a rip from it anyways.  Leatherwing….seriously. lol

this weekend 4 domesticated bears and all 100% imprint, less than 10 minutes has tamed them, the game has no problem, the problem is that you do not know how to make the enclosures for dressage

• Like 1

We tamed four elephants and two bears last weekend. - no issues.  Today, using the same process, it just stop eating...it's not consistent.  So yeah, mechanics are broken.   

What gets me is the sudden wild animal spawns of aggressive predators. Starts taming a bear hisss cobra attacks and kills it. Start taming a bear hisss rattlensnake attacks it from behind and gets killed, hisss alpha rattle snake attacks from in front and kills it. Start taming a bear Grrrr lion grabs and bites you, hisss FOUR cobra's attack and kill the bear. Start taming a bear whinny alpha horse falls into the pen and kills it. At the end of which I still have no bear because even if I check the area thoroughly before hand something will spawn and kill it in the middle of the taming.

19 hours ago, StockInsAug said:

Try to use pillars instead of doorwalls. Since we use pillars, we find always a good feedingspot in front of the animal.

or use wood gateways and gates. gates can be opened for better access and closed again before the bola wears off.

collision or the lack of are the major problem. bears elephants and horses glitch into walls gates and the terrain.

birds stay in cages occasionally but most of the time the glitch out (i avoided 'glitch through the bars' as the 2 crows and 3 seagulls actually glitched through the top of the cage)

10 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Holy crap you are starting to sound like its a survival game or something. Be careful...

I assume that's aimed at me its not the dangerous wild animals that's the issue its the fact you can search the entire area killing them off to tame safely and they respawn right on top of what you're taming and kill it. I just killed FOUR cobra's and a Lion (with about 10 deaths as the lion came from behind then guarded my body) yet it respawns two more cobras on top of me in the short period I needed to tame a bear. If I clear the area of dangerous predators let me enjoy it for a few minutes before more magically appear or at least spawn them in front of me so my first warning isn't being jumped from behind. They're snakes not black ops soldiers why are they using flanking maneuvers and stealth attacks.

Edited by Senkoau

On 2/11/2019 at 2:19 AM, Forb Hidden said:

It's hard to tame as a solo player actually. Taming areas blocks the feeding spot too often.

We started to tame without an area. But u need to be two players in minimum.

Worked fine with elephants 🙂

It's not really all that bad solo taming for most things, though it depends on the environment. It's certainly not as bad as it used to be with aggro vultures and other assorted nonsense killing the animal you were taming. That was difficult even with a two-man team and even then we lost more than one. 

As to the OP, bears can be frustrating if they land in a weird position that blocks feeding them, but I've found if you switch to the other side that sometimes makes a huge difference. 

On 2/8/2019 at 3:25 PM, Vurmis said:

Have you tried using a shield? I found it helped tremendously in overcoming hard to reach/glitchy feed spots (can't solve all wall related problems). Since it blocks damage from their attacks and allows you to feed through the shield, you can just ignore trying to find the "perfect" feed spot and just face tank feed. Keep in mind that when the shield durability goes to 0, it will still look like you have a working shield, but it won't block anything.

Thanks for this tip, I tend to forget this game even has shields, let alone think to use one for taming. I've never even used a shield in this game, mostly because when I started melee with just about any aggro predator was a death sentence when you don't know what you're doing, and some of them still were even when I did have a better grasp on the game. Hell, some still are, so I focused on ranged weapons and kiting the bastards.  

On 2/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, duque said:

this weekend 4 domesticated bears and all 100% imprint, less than 10 minutes has tamed them, the game has no problem, the problem is that you do not know how to make the enclosures for dressage

This is fact.

Sneak 3 makes taming so much easier, but noone wants to use it.  I solo tame bears all the time without a trap, just get up high and shoot em till they go down, use honey and sneak 3 (not really needed on bears but helps), and then right before they wake up run off and shoot them as they break and bolo again.

5 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

Sneak 3 makes taming so much easier, but noone wants to use it.  I solo tame bears all the time without a trap, just get up high and shoot em till they go down, use honey and sneak 3 (not really needed on bears but helps), and then right before they wake up run off and shoot them as they break and bolo again.

I have used it and it didn't do squat, ended up being a huge waste of points for 0 gain. I know the tricks for taming most animals and I'm definitely able to get by without sneak. For 99% of the animals, all it takes is knowledge, patience, and a bit of luck. Goddamn giraffes though, those things are a nightmare. 

On 2/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, StockInsAug said:

Try to use pillars instead of doorwalls. Since we use pillars, we find always a good feedingspot in front of the animal.

I've used pillars in other games, problem is, some creatures can pass between two pillars that can't pass through a doorway. 

I think currently no aggressive animal can pass a doorway, but which can pass through two pillars spaced one foundation apart?

I know this only applies once you have one but....you guys know you can use a bola while riding a bear right? I tame all my tames from the back of a bear. No traps, gates, nothing except my bear and I.

16 minutes ago, Monster3d2015 said:

I know this only applies once you have one but....you guys know you can use a bola while riding a bear right? I tame all my tames from the back of a bear. No traps, gates, nothing except my bear and I.

But do you tame lions that way too? I think you wouldn't stay on that bear long if you tried 🙂

2 hours ago, Monster3d2015 said:

I have before yes, but a giraffe or elephant is nice to use for lions because the lion cant knock you off those.

Ah, never figured any reason to tame a giraffe, but this could be one 🙂

bear tank it... honestly they can do everything

use a bow and arrow on top of the bear, put 2 bolas on bars, and profit.