Sign in to follow this  
Telly

Mirage... is it just me?

On a few occasions I have pulled up to a shore to grab a discovery point, or searching for anchorage, only to have my Company Mate ask "what the hell are you doing"? I see an island, but his view is that we are in the middle of open water... I log out and come back in to see things his way. Anyone else go through this?

• Like 1

yeah happened to me. I kept sailing right through the island as well.

Atlantis. It picks one crew member and haunts them where ever they go. An unusual bug.

It happens when you change zones, sometimes the system doesn't properly unload the placeholder islands from your old zone.  Relogging has always cleared it up for me.  One of the devs said that validating your game files should help (I guess sometimes they get corrupted or something by the engine writing summary data?)

I tried going on one once.

You see right through it and can look deep underwater, other then that, nothing special.

My wife and I were sailing our galleon the other day and I gave her the wheel for her very first time. She has always been reluctant do to the amount of time it took us to build the ship. Wanting to add to our fleet and start running two ships side by side I talked her into getting her feet wet. After about 15 minutes I go in the hull for one thing or another and I hear this God awful crashing sound, I run to the top deck to see us smashing and skittering through a giant rock. "What the hell are you doing?!?!" inappropriately exits my mouth as she looks at me dumb-founded. I glance at her screen and all she has is clear open water. Scared the shit out of me and set her confidence level back a week i think. No damage received. 

I think I'd rather have the mirage over not seeing a rock....I've had some company members that have run into sandbars they couldn't see.

First time I saw it was in my home zone, I thought they were spawning new landmasses to help with claims.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Telly said:

On a few occasions I have pulled up to a shore to grab a discovery point, or searching for anchorage, only to have my Company Mate ask "what the hell are you doing"? I see an island, but his view is that we are in the middle of open water... I log out and come back in to see things his way. Anyone else go through this?

X file

I concur; I prefer the "Optical Delusions" over the possibility of not having a valid piece of land pop in... 🤨

That being said, I have not had any luck via validating game files.  They just seem to randomly show up after we rezone with the phantom islands being the same for multiples of us.

Mirages can be quite nasty.... Friend of mine, didnt see the giant iceberg infront of him, and only stopped due to planks screaming in agony as they were squashed up against the wall of said iceberg....

What i saw....
87a1342916d9a2275d7e0d569360070a.jpg
What my mate saw:
cc29361de0cd626641030d27b4dded01.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Telly said:

@Rita LonglegsLOL it is kind of amusing to be freaking out and your mate has no clue why

He freaked more than i did, cuz he rammed something, utterly unprepared LOL
It was amusing indeed, but more so AFTER the incident.... Luckily, he was following my ship as we went down south, passing several of those icebergs on the way. Had he rammed one at full speed.... ugh :S

This happens quite often and is definitely a client side bug. It's interesting though when you go through it your ship goes all crazy and acts like it really is hitting rocks which can be a bit worrying.