Grongash

SotD and windspeed/render distance (yes, again)

Apart from the fact that the SotD should be a LOT rarer than the currently are, it is really annyoing that they dont follow the same ruleset playerships have to.

I get it, it seems to be too hard to let them use actual sail mechanics. But at least adjust their speed to the current windspeed? If you have low windspeeds you are doomed. Thats not "fun and engaging gameplay", or a skill factor. It is just annoying. Nothing else. Or change the render range so you can actually avoid them. But we all know that one is never gonna happen, the "150 max" Servers already buckle under the load of 20+ just sitting on islands.

• Like 5

SotD are never rare they are very common. I can go from one island to the other which (depending on wind) can take 2 to 5 minutes and I have to avoid at least 4 to 6 SotD. leave the zone to another island I will have to avoid at least dozen of them, Not to mention they sometimes they spawn late and spawn at half their normal spawning distance.  I believe they SotD do not sit in the water they spawn like the cyclones do constantly in front of you in a wall line every time it rains. Been dealing with the nuisance by avoiding sailing as much as possible. But am forced to sail ate least every 2 weeks to go do the insanely stupid FoY to reset my age to 20. If I do not the constant 147 degree daily heat will constantly kill me. I once I get to age 70 day time comes I log out wait until night comes and log back in 

I agree. The time from rendering to aggro is way too short. 

We need better warning system. Maybe a warning on the UI or beacon of light in the distance to mark them.

This would allow people without guns to avoid them and people with guns to hunt them.

1 hour ago, Grongash said:

Apart from the fact that the SotD should be a LOT rarer than the currently are, it is really annyoing that they dont follow the same ruleset playerships have to.

I get it, it seems to be too hard to let them use actual sail mechanics. But at least adjust their speed to the current windspeed? If you have low windspeeds you are doomed. Thats not "fun and engaging gameplay", or a skill factor. It is just annoying. Nothing else. Or change the render range so you can actually avoid them. But we all know that one is never gonna happen, the "150 max" Servers already buckle under the load of 20+ just sitting on islands.

I did outrun yesterday SOTD with the lowest wind possible. not sure what you are talking about but your ship weight is above 60%. 

SOTD speed is fine, they need to be actually faster. Right now they are nothing else then floating objects which you can ignore. 

And if you don´t believe me I upload a video where I bumped yesterday with my Brig into a RED SOTD while sailing ALT TABed (always do except in polar regions with whales, they really fuck you up) with the lowest possible wind and still just 

sailed away and ignored it while repairing the few shots I ate. I literally ignore SOTD when sailing .. just pass them, eat a few hits, be out of range in 2 seconds. 

Brig with 3 speed sails and 13k weight of 21k weight. 

Edited by Mephos

10 hours ago, Fopfumaster said:

SotD are never rare they are very common. I can go from one island to the other which (depending on wind) can take 2 to 5 minutes and I have to avoid at least 4 to 6 SotD. leave the zone to another island I will have to avoid at least dozen of them, Not to mention they sometimes they spawn late and spawn at half their normal spawning distance.  I believe they SotD do not sit in the water they spawn like the cyclones do constantly in front of you in a wall line every time it rains. Been dealing with the nuisance by avoiding sailing as much as possible. But am forced to sail ate least every 2 weeks to go do the insanely stupid FoY to reset my age to 20. If I do not the constant 147 degree daily heat will constantly kill me. I once I get to age 70 day time comes I log out wait until night comes and log back in 

just fast travel to the closest free port,  (to the foy) (die)  build a sloop or schooner cant remember what one is smallest do your foy, (it should be close)

then once u get foy die and spawn back at your base....   foy can be done in under an hour 

90% of the problem is that their loot is a joke.  Even at level 20 they drop 30 or so coins, tops.  Low level ones it's actually not worth the time to slow down and kill them.  If I had a button that I could press and they instantly die I still wouldn't bother because its not worth the time.

For a while, people didnt know this and were killing them, but as people realized that a single map will give you 2000 to 3000 coins, or a single whale gives 1200 to 1600, they realized killing sotd is a total waste.

And now they pile up like mad.  There SHOULD be players out killing them, but they arent.

Increase gold to match whales and add resource loot and the problem will go away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SOD are actually really easy to kill...maybe 40 cannon balls up to level 20.

They are also very easy to avoid, especially if your render distance is set to max.

@Archsenex my company and I patrol our zone every other day, both to make sailing easier for everyone, but also to minimize someones ability to kite a ship into our port.

1 minute ago, Humcitysav said:

@Archsenex my company and I patrol our zone every other day, both to make sailing easier for everyone, but also to minimize someones ability to kite a ship into our port.

I had actually wondered if there was merit in having a tax cap based on number of sotd (too many and you get less or no tax) as well as a resource bonus when they reach a certain lower threshold zonewide.

• Thanks 1

@Archsenex any incentive to destroy the ships would be great. At first we just wanted the higher level crew (which i guess is a decent incentive but at this point i just leave them), but the lack of any good drops except for bp’s is a big reason why its a waste of time/resources to fight them.

We do it for fun, but for others I can see it being more of a hassle. But honestly, the ships at sea add a dynamic that make it less boring to sail. I’m personally excited for new SOD types, and the potential of merchant or enemy npc ships at sea too. 

Imagine a regional quest where you can go and save a merchant ship from an SOD or something when you sail by it, that would definitely make sailing, and ship combat a lot more fun.

The SOTD are not the problem, but sounds like the captain that sails in no wind has some issues. Plan ahea

d

If you have someone on your sail top in the look out/crows nest they can see a LOT further out. You also gets skills that increase this. Higher ship steering location = more sigh range too.

Stop sucking.

Anyone jumped at a map edge can complain though.

when you have to constantly turn to avoid SotD and you avoid 30+ in one zone then there is a problem with too many SotD  Oh and the tactic of running the border does not help If you are getting chased by a SotD and you cross the border it also crosses the border.

I wish they would stop adding content and fix more serious issues and balances. Like the almost daily 147 F heat waves  Desert regions do not get that hot. I want to see game fixes, balances and exploits resolved.

i sailed yesterday with a ramshackle to check out new islands. That was the idea... Entered lawless after the freeport: 1 sotd directly after the border. With a big amount of luck I could escape. 2mins later I saw two sotd's. Usually it should fit with a brig or gall to pass the ships without pulling the aggro. Not my ramshackle. They aggroed me from far far away, where faster than Flash and sunk my ship. 

Did they switched anything about the aggro-range? 

Do you guys have any idea how easy it is to outrun SoTD? The only time I wasn't able to was when my ship was almost overweight. Even with wind against it is possible, depending on ship weight. And if your ship weight is way too much, you can just sail with the wind. Render distance is simply your own settings. It's pretty obvious that someone that has it on high sees it quicker than one having it on low. That the SoTD should be a little bit more dependant on wind, I agree with. But people that can't outrun them or are surprised by them... No words.

Not to forget that whilst on sea, your system doesn't eat much, so you can easily set the render distance on high when on sees, if you don't have that much of a good rig.

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 3

Render distance I agree on for sure on sotd and in general but sotd seem extra low. The speed they sail at is already slow due to the buff they did to player ships, I have to slow down to keep aggro of a SOTD in any kind of decent wind sometimes as low as 40% sails and even then I slowly outrun them as they turn back and forth behind me.  If your ship isn't encumbered it will easily outrun a sotd even in low wind. It also doesn't take that much effort to sink a sotd. Couple cannons, few npcs, chunk of cannon balls. Set to aggressive. Just captain the ship and watch the carnage. We go out and kill a few sotd every day. Periodically we will see lots, we sink a bunch and they seem to be less plentiful for a while. It's really not that much effort to sink them.

I really wish they do something to change the low wind weather , i cant but think about players who play on a single monitor and forced to stare at their ships for hours on their limited play time due to this no wind cycle 

Too much reliasm isnt fun 

Anyone having performance issues (lag) is going to see a different render time than someone else, even if they both have the same game settings.  People in a zone that's lagging and possibly needs a reboot are going to have a different experience than someone in a zone that's performing better.

It helps to not talk about these kinds of issues as though everyone is seeing the same thing all the time.  Gitgud is not an appropriate answer when you don't know what it is that person is actually seeing on the screen.

"SOTD are always spawning at the border"  / "SOTD never spawn at the border"

"It's easy to outrun them" / "It's impossible to outrun them"

Without seriously getting into the details of different configs and performance metrics, there's no way to sort this out in any intelligent way in the forums, because we haven't got the keys to the servers to have a look at it.  Hopefully the devs will be looking at this at some point and testing the lower end of the client configs to make sure the performance is still acceptable.  If people keep bringing it up in the forums, maybe they will.

I agree. The time from rendering to aggro is way too short. 

The SOTD are not the problem, but sounds like the captain that sails in no wind has some issues

Stuff like that isn't as helpful as treating it as though it might be a performance problem -  what zone, what time, what is the pc config, etc.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1

They look ugly and should look like a normal ailing boat. And withe same benefits and cons a player haves. 

Butt ugly designs fall totally out of  all other art

1 hour ago, awakatanka said:

They look ugly and should look like a normal ailing boat. And withe same benefits and cons a player haves. 

Butt ugly designs fall totally out of  all other art

Because they didnt figure out how to make NPCs use the same ruleset and be any useful i guess... Same reason the trader is an ugly wannabe river-steam boat.

On 2/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, Nutcutt3r said:

The SOTD are not the problem, but sounds like the captain that sails in no wind has some issues. Plan ahea

d

Yesterday my company embarked on an all day exploration expedition. We did plan ahead, over a week ahead in fact. We all scheduled out that day from our busy lives to gather and go out and explore Atlas together.  To the extent that our ships went nowhere due to lack of wind in a sailing game over the course of the day, our time was wasted. This was our issue.

• Like 2

Travel takes to much time in that Game. Yesterday, i sailed from c11 to E3 to F3 and back to C9. This takes serveral hours only for sailing. The grid is to large for reduced sail speed by wind and weight. Especially if you want to return at homebase in the end.

The MMO evangelists, who like to waste their time on useless game content, do not need to answer.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:43 AM, boomervoncannon said:

Yesterday my company embarked on an all day exploration expedition. We did plan ahead, over a week ahead in fact. We all scheduled out that day from our busy lives to gather and go out and explore Atlas together.  To the extent that our ships went nowhere due to lack of wind in a sailing game over the course of the day, our time was wasted. This was our issue.

I always plan for bigger stuff to be a multi day adventure, having probably even less time all in one lump to play.  I didn't start out that way, but now that I've changed my expectations for sailing trips it makes them less aggravating.  There's been a forum thread lately on doing away with fast travel, which would kill that whole approach.  I hope nobody takes that idea seriously.

I agree about wind, I feel the sextant should allow you good wind for 10 mins or something, current buff is rubbish.

SotD on the other hand, aren't much of a threat, only realized when i started attacking them, you start to realize how much dmg you can take before things get dicey. Not sure about a sloop, but a schooner can take quite a lot of hits before you start leaking and i mean taking a full broadside at least 3 - 4 times in the same spot.

It's way to often now that the wind is weak. It takes ages to sail. Weak wind is also a real danger. About the SotD. First of all. make them worth hunting.