Sign in to follow this  
Ankhwearer

Status effect needs to be displayed when ships are in Freeports

I learned, after filing an unnecessary bug report, that you will lose a ship if you anchor in a Freeport overnight. Freeports have increased ship decay and full planks will all fail after about eight hours.

Unacceptable to have no icon or message or anything that tells you this in the game. After a long night of salvaging my first wreck I stopped off in a Freeport, too late in the real world to continue the five sectors to my home. If the game never tells you that you can't dock there overnight, that's a big penalty by which to learn. Especially for a solo player with no company. Two ships lost in two days.

Level 52, playing since day one. How was I supposed to learn this?

Edited by Ankhwearer
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ankhwearer said:

I learned, after filing an unnecessary bug report, that you will lose a ship if you anchor in a Freeport overnight. Freeports have increased ship decay and full planks will all fail after about eight hours.

Unacceptable to have no icon or message or anything that tells you this in the game. After a long night of salvaging my first wreck I stopped off in a Freeport, too late in the real world to continue the five sectors to my home. If the game never tells you that you can't dock there overnight, that's a big penalty by which to learn. Especially for a solo player with no company. Two ships lost in two days.

Level 52, playing since day one. How was I supposed to learn this?

lvl 52 siince day one do u not read patch notes that come out ? as if u have played that long you shold know about this ,

on the flip side yes they already display a message about lvling so it would be that hard for them to add a short message about the increase description even to the point of a small rp message about the dock security will seize your vessel if left over night in a freeport  🙂

• Like 1

Or an icon, like they do for conditions and weather.

And I just did a word search in the patch notes for "freeport". Nothing about increased decay.

But yes, I have been reading the patch notes. That's not really where you should be explaining how features work. That should be in-game documentation. But again, a few word searches for terms in my post are not popping this condition for ships in Freeports.

Nor is this information in the Wiki.

Add to my frustration that the Ramshackle Sloop didn't make it home either. So this will be my third time deep sea diving in three days. With the last schooner left in my fleet. But that's just going to have to wait until tomorrow. That's enough bullpucks for now.

Finger's crossed.

There is really nothing telling you that bodies vanish in Freeports as well as quick decay unless you for some reason have read it in some semi accident somewhere you wouldn´t normally see. New players are chanceless in that area as well.

5 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

I learned, after filing an unnecessary bug report, that you will lose a ship if you anchor in a Freeport overnight. Freeports have increased ship decay and full planks will all fail after about eight hours...

...Level 52, playing since day one. How was I supposed to learn this?

What, you never read this forum?  Never read the Steam forum?  Never read ANY ingame chat?  The topic crops up constantly and I find it hard to believe you never noticed it.

Never noticed you had to repair your Raft/Sloop a lot in Freeport?  Hard to believe you never took notice of that, either.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:25 AM, Coggage said:

What, you never read this forum?  Never read the Steam forum?  Never read ANY ingame chat?  The topic crops up constantly and I find it hard to believe you never noticed it.

Never noticed you had to repair your Raft/Sloop a lot in Freeport?  Hard to believe you never took notice of that, either.

No, never noticed it.

I started on day one in a lawless territory. No one there talked about it. In 348 hours pf play, according to Steam.

Sounds like apologetics. Even if I had read it, the game still needs to display the information IN THE GAME.

19 minutes ago, Ankhwearer said:

No, never noticed it.

I started on day one in a lawless territory. No one there talked about it. In 348 hours pf play, according to Steam.

Sounds like apologetics. Even if I had read it, the game still needs to display the information IN THE GAME.

Game doesn’t need to do anything. Your ship, your responsibility. If I went to a freeport right now without any knowledge but that there are different rules there, I’d make damn sure I got everything straighten out before I go offline for the night. 

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong it certainly does need to notify the players when they enter the Freeport.. but if you have been playing since day one then you have no excuse not to know this already..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caldrin said:

Don't get me wrong it certainly does need to notify the players when they enter the Freeport.. but if you have been playing since day one then you have no excuse not to know this already..

You used to be able to spawn in lawless.

5 minutes ago, gadefence said:

You used to be able to spawn in lawless.

What has that got to do with ships decaying in Freeport's ?

6 minutes ago, Caldrin said:

Some players have never been in a Freeport, since they didn't start there.

7 minutes ago, Caldrin said:

You may never have been to a freeport. The concept of freeports being a hidden decay and no body render is directly harmful to the game.

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

Game doesn’t need to do anything. Your ship, your responsibility. If I went to a freeport right now without any knowledge but that there are different rules there, I’d make damn sure I got everything straighten out before I go offline for the night. 

Being frank, the fact people don't know there's a rule difference is the problem. I see LOTS of rafts and ramshackles sunk every morning on the chances I do go to a freeport. I'm sure people buy the game, make a sloop, log out, come back, sloop gone, rage and quite, and that's on the devs not the players. This is, after all, basically, the tutorial area.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

No, never noticed it.

I agree with the OP.  You know, some people just want to play the game, and not be all involved in all the meta on the forums, discord, twitter, etc.  I've looked for stuff in the patch notes before and not been able to find it too.  I read the forums a lot, and there's plenty of stuff I've missed too.  Even if you think it's his fault for not knowing, piling on somebody who's just lost a ton of stuff is kind of a rotten thing to do.

But here's the real reason this pisses me off and why the OP is right -  games get new players.  Can we all stop thinking about the game as though everyone who will ever play it started on day 1?  Somebody who buys this game in May is not going to have all this history of forum discussion to know what everyone else knows.  Treating them as though they're stupid for not knowing all this is a weird thing to do.  If there's a game mechanic that's going to seriously impact players like that, there needs to be some sort of notice in the game.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Some players have never been in a Freeport, since they didn't start there.

Sure they may not have started there but I don't believe for one minute that some players have never been there.

But either way I 100% agree there needs to be some kind of message when entering the Freeport areas about the ship decay. 

Edited by Caldrin

Just now, Caldrin said:

Sure they may not have started there but I don't believe for one minute that some players have never been there.

I have been in a freeport maybe...5 times. Each time I have members losing their stuff because they die for some reason and forget the body is gone. Decay is another matter if you visit. Let´s be clear, the amount of playing is decreasing FAST. Sitting and being elitist and telling people how they could just have read patchnotes 1½ month ago or read 500 pages of forums or trawled the wiki isn´t valid.

14500 peaks now, don´t be surprised if its sub 10000 next month.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shintai said:

I have been in a freeport maybe...5 times. Each time I have members losing their stuff because they die for some reason and forget the body is gone. Decay is another matter if you visit. Let´s be clear, the amount of playing is decreasing FAST. Sitting and being elitist and telling people how they could just have read patchnotes 1½ month ago or read 500 pages of forums or trawled the wiki isn´t valid.

14500 peaks now, don´t be surprised if its sub 10000 next month.

That's not being elitist is just surprising people do not read patch notes for a game that is in development.. 

I mean my guild and others we are allied with talk about the notes as soon as they are published.. we take active interest in how the game is being changed.. it's just part of helping to test a game in development.

Oh btw your body stays in Freeport's now 😉

As for player counts I expect it stabilise pretty soon every EA title games loses a ton of players in the first few months.. a few exceptions of course but not many. 

Edited by Caldrin

33 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Being frank, the fact people don't know there's a rule difference is the problem. I see LOTS of rafts and ramshackles sunk every morning on the chances I do go to a freeport. I'm sure people buy the game, make a sloop, log out, come back, sloop gone, rage and quite, and that's on the devs not the players. This is, after all, basically, the tutorial area.

Yes but there’s a difference in people spawning there and people going there. Spawning there, lots of people make a ship or whatever and decide to leave or don’t have the time to continue. Living somewhere else and going back to a freeport should atleast ring a huge bell that stuff is different there. That’s what I was referring to. 

That said, it’s been 2 months since I saw the welcome message so I don’t know it is displayed in there, if it is not, they could add that in for the new peeps. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

Yes but there’s a difference in people spawning there and people going there. Spawning there, lots of people make a ship or whatever and decide to leave or don’t have the time to continue. Living somewhere else and going back to a freeport should atleast ring a huge bell that stuff is different there. That’s what I was referring to. 

Unless, of course, as the original guy said, this was his first time there.

There's a lot of differences but you're not told them when you come in, so they're easy to miss. Mayhap agree with putting up signs that says "SHIPS GO BYE BYE IF AFK" at least?

5 minutes ago, Caldrin said:

That's not being elitist is just surprising people do not read patch notes for a game that is in development.. 

I mean my guild and others we are allied with talk about the notes as soon as they are published.. we take active interest in how the game is being changed.. it's just part of helping to test a game in development.

As for player counts I expect it stabilise pretty soon every EA title games loses a ton of players in the first few months.. a few exceptions of course but not many. 

And for the players that start in May or June?  Are they required to read through 6 or 8 months of patch notes, forums, discord and twitter before they start playing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Caldrin said:

If a player joins today, what patchnotes is he or she to read? 

1 hour ago, gadefence said:

Unless, of course, as the original guy said, this was his first time there.

There's a lot of differences but you're not told them when you come in, so they're easy to miss. Mayhap agree with putting up signs that says "SHIPS GO BYE BYE IF AFK" at least?

I get that this game also has younger players. Maybe give them the welcome message again whenever they enter the freeport. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

The game is busy telling you that level 8 is the cap in Freeports. They could simply extend that text to include a comment about fast ship decay.

i have lost half dozen schooners and dozens of sloops because of this crap I never ever knew there was a time limit and sometimes I have no choice but to park in free port. 

2 hours ago, Shintai said:

If a player joins today, what patchnotes is he or she to read? 

As I stated the Freeport's do need a message to warn the players.. 

My point was that someone who has been in game from day one should really know and not be surprised when it happens.