sacreddingo

Melee dead?

I got about 500 hrs into game now on NA PVP server.   When i first started i saw the trailer for the "melee fighting system" with the dodging / couter attacks / shield stuns and was excited. then after about 13 hrs into the game it seems Melee is a completely usless stat for PvE contant such as clearing mobs or anything as everyone just uses a high powered rifle or bow.   So i started a new server (private unofficial) and swore to not use any Ranged personal weapon. (cannons and such not counted)  its just that with no directly ability to heal after an encounter, and hp stats and armor so weak before getting mythos gear and none of the melee abilities (counter attack, Shield stun, armor break) counting on wild creatures, it seems as if it maybe was just a "well we tried but lets not remove it since we put it in already".   Just curious if anyone one else goes pure melee and enjoys the Hardcore Mode of Atlas like i do?  If so anyone got a youtube video of a good Melee Player? PvP or Pve i can watch to get my fix?

Melee and Armour are worthless.  I got two-shotted by a Lvl 1 Tiger that attacked from behind me while I was wearing a mix of Plate and Hide armour.  Didn't even get to land an attack on it as I was dead before I turned around.

You ever tried killing a bee with a ranged weapon? It's not fun. It's easier to pull out your fists and punch it a few times. Also if a cobra gets close enough to get under your feet, you really want something other than a pistol. Yes, takes make all of these irrelevant, but you can't have one with you everywhere

I've tried several weapons, even crafted for yellow quality.

- Spears.

- Maces.

- Swords.

- Bows.

- Pistols.

- I even tried to carry grenades with me.

All my islands voyages were always interrupted by deaths from random wild fauna. I was experimenting alot. And yet - i drop. All my crafted weapons are in storage, waiting for better times. I ended with full beastmastery skill-tree and just ride my bear. Before yesterday I didn't die for a weeks. It's easier to gather some brushes (orange vit, fibers, saps). Bear can carry much more. Bear can beat army of death even 25 lvl. I use bear to farm alot of meat for my ships crew.

So what's the point of waste you skill points for weapon, waste your time to craft it, and then go and keep dying? While you can use a bear and it's just better in all possible ways! I just carry a spear with me, but only use it for fishing and to speed up my overweight pathfinder (use a tertiary attack - you will charge no mater how overweight you are).

(yesterday I died and lost my bear but... well... I was attacked by 23 animals at once and there was an alpha among them).

The main issue with melee at the moment is that fact as soon as you trigger an attack it basically roots you to the spot making it next to impossible to use melee if you are chasing someone around. Well unless you use a sickle of course as the works as melee should work no rooting to the spot when you attack..

Plus of course they need to address the mount issue.. myself I think horses should be the only animal you can use as a mount.. any other tames should be for gathering only or taken out.. I know lot will not agree with that but at the moment mounts as well as the pretty bad melee system make it pointless trying to get into close combat. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CamsterAu said:

You ever tried killing a bee with a ranged weapon? It's not fun.

That's why everyone uses a Sickle.  Very efficient and no need to throw points away on the melee skill.  Strange that a Gathering tool is the best way to kill a Bee.  🙂

Edited by Coggage

Yep there is real point to melee atm. Its terrible vs even wild animals let alone against other players. It is all risk and no reward, you take huge damage and do fk all damage. Completly pointless, plus the whole animation thing combined with lag makes it rather difficult to use.

• Like 1

Melee? Really? LOL!

I do not know anyone who really uses this crap. Why? It's slow, does no damage, and you have to take damage yourself. Melee combat is a total failure. I do not want such a slow and ineffective combat system, nor will I ever use it. This is content for a turn-based game, but not for a real-time game.

The best thing would be to bury this crap and return to Ark's fighting system. That would be much better.

Nothing against a good improvement, but that just makes it worse.

• Like 1

I melee thru Powerstone islands like a hot knife thru butter all the time. Lvl 7354 Cyclopses fall like snowflakes in summer. U just need to know how.

Ofc not. Its one of 2657162 aspects of the game who are BS, not well thought, executed, shitty balanced and simply reflect the skill of these amateur, cash grab Devs.

Greetings from Dark and Light.

Edited by Chett
  • Thanks 1

there is no Melee you either use tames to fight or range weapons. If you use melee it will against non hostile animals since hostile animals like lion and tiger will pin you on the first hit and you are dead