Sign in to follow this  
MrHeid

Claim flags should have an upkeep cost in gold

I think claim flags should have an upkeep cost in gold where the cost per flag goes up the more flags you control.

1-3 Flags Free

10 flags or less a 1000g a week.

20 flags 5 k gold a week

50 flags 20k gold .

100 flags or more 100k a week

This would prevent companies from getting to big as well as small companies from taking way to much land.  Obviously these numbers may need to be adjusted but they should def make it to where controlling to much land is not worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

How about an hour long mini game (similar to water) for each flag that must be done daily?

But seriously I hope they can find a balance with out more things to maintain.

I would like to see a ranking system on flags. Companies can choose which one they want the most protected. What the right balance is I am not sure.

Current systems with fast travel 1 person can easily maintain a large area across multiple grids.

Another idea we have discussed would be each flag has a constant counter that caps at 30 days. If you are near the flag it’s going up, if your not it’s going down and will declaim automatically. So where you live work and play will have good protection.

There is a gold requirement coming for claims soon. The devs have said it.. just no ETA or price

• Like 2

You guys are brainstorming the cost way too high, in my opinion, and will cripple smaller companies, while doing nothing to stop larger companies that have 200+ people from just grabbing all this extra land that would theoretically free up, because they have the extra people to run treasure maps 24/7

It should start out at 1 gold per flag, going up 1 gold per flag every 5 flags.

First flag should always be free.

Up to 5 flags should be 1 gold per flag, per day. With the freebie for 1 flag, that would be only to 4g/day - doable by grabbing flotsam (which would be rarer, since people would be grabbing every one they see), or a common map every couple days.

5-10 flags = 2g per flag, per day (18g/day)

10-15 flags = 3g per flag per day (42g/day)

I get that those numbers seem low, but for the smaller groups, it is doable, without spending literally every minute farming gold.

When you start getting up to the bigger claims - ie, 50 flags, that would be 10g/flag per day, minus the 1st flag free, that would be 450g/day

100 flag = 20g/flag/day, so 1980 gold per day

200 = 40g/flag/day or 7960g/day

...and so on

It would still have the effect of getting rid of the people who don't play, and getting larger landowners to shed land to get down into a bracket that they can afford.

The drawback to a system like this, is it is going to completely kill any trade, especially the planned playershops, or even cosmetic purchases for gold, since everyone will be hoarding it for upkeep.

Playershops need to be able to set prices in different commodities, not just gold, else they'll be DOA with the upkeep charge change.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Where did they say this?

On the last livestream, they said that they were looking into a gold cost for upkeep on claims. Not the solution I'd look for - anything that forces you to play more than you want, just to farm to keep your stuff, is going to drive away a large portion of the playerbase.

Once it forces you to log in and play, even if you don't want to, doing things you don't want to, or have other things going on that limit your game time, its not a game, its a job. I already have one of those - and I don't get fired for calling in sick with the flu for a week, why should I lose everything that I do in my free time if something happens to stop me from playing for a short while. (within reason).

Hell, I had friends that got hit with the CenturyLink internet outage for a week last month. If they would have had less than 7 days of upkeep banked, they would have lost everything, through no fault of their own. Thats the kind of thing that drives away a playerbase, except for a few thousand hardcores.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

You guys are brainstorming the cost way too high, in my opinion, and will cripple smaller companies, while doing nothing to stop larger companies that have 200+ people from just grabbing all this extra land that would theoretically free up, because they have the extra people to run treasure maps 24/7

It should start out at 1 gold per flag, going up 1 gold per flag every 5 flags.

First flag should always be free.

Up to 5 flags should be 1 gold per flag, per day. With the freebie for 1 flag, that would be only to 4g/day - doable by grabbing flotsam (which would be rarer, since people would be grabbing every one they see), or a common map every couple days.

5-10 flags = 2g per flag, per day (18g/day)

10-15 flags = 3g per flag per day (42g/day)

I get that those numbers seem low, but for the smaller groups, it is doable, without spending literally every minute farming gold.

When you start getting up to the bigger claims - ie, 50 flags, that would be 10g/flag per day, minus the 1st flag free, that would be 450g/day

100 flag = 20g/flag/day, so 1980 gold per day

200 = 40g/flag/day or 7960g/day

...and so on

It would still have the effect of getting rid of the people who don't play, and getting larger landowners to shed land to get down into a bracket that they can afford.

The drawback to a system like this, is it is going to completely kill any trade, especially the planned playershops, or even cosmetic purchases for gold, since everyone will be hoarding it for upkeep.

Playershops need to be able to set prices in different commodities, not just gold, else they'll be DOA with the upkeep charge change.

I basically solo and i can make 500 gold a day in 30-50 min and if i got enough maps much more.  Gold is like the easiest resource to farm. I feel like 1980 gold per day for 100 flags is waaaaayyy to low.  I mean you would make like triple that in the gold taxis alone.

• Like 2

When you talk about the gold taxes, the more people having to pay large upkeep, the more people will be farming, the more taxes they're going to get, and the more incentive they have to set their taxes at max rate, so it all washes out and does nothing to take away from the big companies, just hurts the mid-smaller tiers, again.

As a solo who enjoys the building, socializing, exploring, and trading aspects a helluva lot more than chasing treasure maps. If I wanted to spend my time just chasing treasure maps, I'd go back and play Sea of Thieves.

I'd rather see them implement a flag cap scaling on number of people in the company (and I've been against a flag cap since day one), than institute a cripplingly high upkeep that forces me to do something I don't enjoy, just to keep my handful of claims. I'd fall under the 1000g/week tier based on your scale. My total gold that I've gotten in 250+ hours is 1348, because treasure maps aren't enjoyable to me.

Now, if they put in something like NPC merchant ships that you could sink and rob to get a comparable amount of gold to a treasure map, (and reduce the weight of the damn gold in the first place),  that could be more enjoyable.

They may need to add some sort of structure you can store coins in to pay out these flag prices when they do it. and They should pay out worldwide if so. 

56 minutes ago, MrHeid said:

I basically solo and i can make 500 gold a day in 30-50 min and if i got enough maps much more.  Gold is like the easiest resource to farm. I feel like 1980 gold per day for 100 flags is waaaaayyy to low.  I mean you would make like triple that in the gold taxis alone.

I want to know where you can do this because the way this game is now, its extremely hostile in our area. last time I went gold farming I got chased through 5 zones when they pulled up to rob us after letting us do maps. not the first time and it wont be the last. everyone I talk to left the game because of the amount of farming needing to be done to do anything. The amount of anti-fun outnumbers the amount of actual fun.

I dont care if its one coin per day, if you have a flag you need to maintain it.

There are a lot of flags out there for nothing as well. At least it would clean it up a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Where did they say this?

It was in the live stream they are planning for claims to cost gold as an upkeep and are developing the system still for the future

• Like 1

instead of gold costs...should be tied to number of items placed IN a claimed areas... so first flag is live not get second flag until x amount of items like floors walls stations are placed.... then second flag becomes available... and have it get more expensive per flag... this will stop land grabbers and spam flaggers

• Like 1