Sign in to follow this  
JanuzDarkwater

Whales are broken

Whales are SOOO broken, 1 hit of a whale equals 1 sunk ship or at least almost...

Today we came across a whale, we were almost without wind so using the 30% speed that comes with no wind....but with that speed is impossible to escape...it was opur cargo ship, and with one hit it took 3 planks, broke our helm, 1 sail and almost all structures inside the ship.... 1 HIT!!!

Our ship was a brigantine and was at full health it CANNOT be possible for a whale to almost sunk the 2nd biggest ship in the game with just one hit.

Please devs check this.

Thanks!

I dont think that’s unreasonable. You guys should have scrambled and tossed your cargo overboard. The reason, as mentioned above is for them to be dangerous, not just some other carebear farming feature.

Another way to deal with that situation is to have a crewmenber jump overboard with a bow and divert its attention while the ship attempts to escape.

currently the whale’s hitbox doesnt register for like 5min while fighting him, players need to musket them until they go through some sort of cycle, not sure if it’s a bug or a feature, def makes the fight fun.

na guys, the aggro on those things is outrageous, they see you from miles away....and you suggest that 1 guy immolates by jumping into water with a bow? please.....think before posting....its broken a guy diverting attacks with a bow is not a good mechanic

• Like 1

You survived to tell the tale. You should get a new tattoo and celebrate.

We have lost ships but only to those captains who don’t respect the beasts. Make sure your ship has the speed to escape them and be vigilant when in tiles 1-3 and 13-15.

21 minutes ago, JanuzDarkwater said:

na guys, the aggro on those things is outrageous, they see you from miles away....and you suggest that 1 guy immolates by jumping into water with a bow? please.....think before posting....its broken a guy diverting attacks with a bow is not a good mechanic

Broken mechanics require ridiculous survival tactics. I am giving you solutions for the current situation, I dont understand why you’re talking me down/talking shit to me - If you only want to hear people that are 100% on your side on this matter, taking this on the forums is likely not where you’re going to get that audience.

I also don’t think they are ridiculous in any way, they are just hard to deal with in specific circumpstances.

You were most likely overloaded, rather than throw your cargo, you decided to risk it all and you lost it. It’s the price you have to pay for that sort of situation. I would just say move on rather than ask to bastardize the content.

Edited by Bad News Bear

25 minutes ago, Bad News Bear said:

Broken mechanics require ridiculous survival tactics. I am giving you solutions for the current situation, I dont understand why you’re talking me down/talking shit to me - If you only want to hear people that are 100% on your side on this matter, taking this on the forums is likely not where you’re going to get that audience.

I also don’t think they are ridiculous in any way, they are just hard to deal with in specific circumpstances.

You were most likely overloaded, rather than throw your cargo, you decided to risk it all and you lost it. It’s the price you have to pay for that sort of situation. I would just say move on rather than ask to bastardize the content.

Nope, that is not the case, not even half weight...we had no wind to escape and that thing saw us half a cluster away....

I am not talking you down nor insulting you, just stating that if the mob is broken, a lone ranger suicide guy, does not solve the issue....thats is why I post here so that devs can cjeck this out.

3 minutes ago, JanuzDarkwater said:

Nope, that is not the case, not even half weight...we had no wind to escape and that thing saw us half a cluster away....

I am not talking you down nor insulting you, just stating that if the mob is broken, a lone ranger suicide guy, does not solve the issue....thats is why I post here so that devs can cjeck this out.

You tried to talk me down with “think before posting”.

I did think and I stand on my opinion, I quit multiple amazing games because they catered to carebear changes - it kills games faster than broken content.

Right now it seems that everytime a player doesnt get survive or control content the way they want they go to the forums rather than actually try to find solutions. Our players tend to stick next to the border when traveling while wanting to avoid fighting.

Edited by Bad News Bear

47 minutes ago, Bad News Bear said:

You tried to talk me down with “think before posting”.

I did think and I stand on my opinion, I quit multiple amazing games because they catered to carebear changes - it kills games faster than broken content.

Right now it seems that everytime a player doesnt get survive or control content the way they want they go to the forums rather than actually try to find solutions. Our players tend to stick next to the border when traveling while wanting to avoid fighting.

Oki, fair enough

But if you played so many games you should know that although is not a solution to have carebears mobs, it is not good to have broken content....thus posting for devs to know and check if can be balanced to be challenging instead of certain death or having to apply desperate tactics to get away....

thanks for your point of view in the matter, but I too have an opinion and think that this can be balanced to get a good strong content.

😉

Edited by JanuzDarkwater

Ok, I just had this encounter last night with much success. My supply brig took a beating for sure, but nothing from the whale. It seems the biggest part of your problem is you were unwilling to deviate your course to adapt to the situation. Coming from a supply run from h15 to H 14 I encountered 4 of those brutes. And was sailing into the wind as well to get home. 

For me the solution was simple, alter course to get better wind, and zig zag all the way home. Outrun the whales, and run in on the lower SotD to avoid the bigger ones. Ate alot of low lvl cannon for sure, but never lost a plank or a piece of structure. You are playing a survival game, you will often have to go out of your way to do something that makes you uncomfortable or take more time to do just that. 

Now you know what you are dealing with, you're next trip should be alot less stressful.

20 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

It seems the biggest part of your problem is you were unwilling to deviate your course to adapt to the situation.

/Thread.

Either drop your cargo, or divert course. Blaming bad wind and known aggressive mobs for your losses won't change that you failed to play the game properly to save yourselves. A whale can only come at you from one direction, leaving 7 other avenues of escape.

Edited by Teach

15 minutes ago, Pax said:

Enjoy my pain

A wild "Surprise Fuck you" has appeared....sucks man.

I fight whales all the time, and get penguins a lot cause they like to fly for some reason.....whale area is dangerous and it should be. I don't see anything personally that needs changed. Penguins can fetch a pretty penny just based on the fact where you have to go to get them.

Whales are huge, videos on YouTube will show just how evil they can be.

How easy is to claim bad judgement, poor playing and greed....

1) Boat was not loaded, was nearly empty

2) Wind was almost zero so no chance to zig zag or nothing

3) one hit broke 1 sail, helm and inner decks

4) we were not actively looking for trouble, just traveling home

1 hour ago, Notorious said:

Whales are huge, videos on YouTube will show just how evil they can be.

Sure, but a regular MOB not even alpha cannot hit you more than the kraken which is at this stage of the game the "boss" to beat....also there are several videos of the kraken fight and not even the baddest mob in the game 1-hits you.

1 hour ago, Pax said:

Enjoy my pain

Thats what I mean.....that should not happen, this should be challenging yes, but not like this.

4 minutes ago, JanuzDarkwater said:

How easy is to claim bad judgement, poor playing and greed....

1) Boat was not loaded, was nearly empty

2) Wind was almost zero so no chance to zig zag or nothing

3) one hit broke 1 sail, helm and inner decks

4) we were not actively looking for trouble, just traveling home

Sure, but a regular MOB not even alpha cannot hit you more than the kraken which is at this stage of the game the "boss" to beat....also there are several videos of the kraken fight and not even the baddest mob in the game 1-hits you.

Thats what I mean.....that should not happen, this should be challenging yes, but not like this.

Who's to say it shouldn't? What happens in that video has a lottery chance of happening. Unfortunate, entertaining, but not the norm. It's not like every time you go into a specific grid you are doomed to be hit by something waiting on the other side. Had it been players just camping the border are you gonna have them not allow people to put their boats in the water?

Edited by Teach
  • Thanks 1

Again, you had options, different choices could have been made. Another lesson I learned from my experience, I will wait for the wind to be more in my favor before I cross that zone no matter which way I'm going. If a whale in real life that size came up under a Schooner, the Schooner will lose every time, under a brig, well, it would still be catastrophic. Before you say this is a game not related life, understand they have thrown you a bone, there is a big green bar above said aggroed whale letting you know it's coming.

You can't ask the devs to carebear everything in the game because you learned from your bad choices the hard way. If I would have lost my brig last night during my first encounter, I would have been bent sure. But chocked it up to lesson learned. I've lost Brigs to bad decisions before, and I'll lose more. On a x2 weekend I can build another in a few hours solo. And typically have a spare just for my lessons learned. 

It's survival, call it OJT. On the job training. Sometimes shit gets broke

8 hours ago, JanuzDarkwater said:

Whales are SOOO broken, 1 hit of a whale equals 1 sunk ship or at least almost...

Today we came across a whale, we were almost without wind so using the 30% speed that comes with no wind....but with that speed is impossible to escape...it was opur cargo ship, and with one hit it took 3 planks, broke our helm, 1 sail and almost all structures inside the ship.... 1 HIT!!!

Our ship was a brigantine and was at full health it CANNOT be possible for a whale to almost sunk the 2nd biggest ship in the game with just one hit.

Please devs check this.

Thanks!

"WE JUST STOOD WILL AND LET A (slow) WHALE CATCH US AND MURDER US INSTEAD OF SAILING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SPEED!"

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Granted, beaming into a whale would suck.

Edited by gadefence