Captain Jack Shadow

Stop the name changing.

I am tired of the name changing.  Some groups change their name, build a ship, go raid, and then change their name again.  This really ruins what passes for PvP in this game.  If somebody raids you, you want to know who it actually was.

So here's an idea.  I know they aren't likely to take that ability away, so allow us to see a different log...a PvP log.  Right now we have just one log, and if somebody is tearing something down to build something else, you soon lose a lot of that log.  So instead, have a separate log for PvP actions, and allow that log to update when you view it, or select for it to update.

So let's say you are raided by Scurvy Dogs, a week ago, and now you are ready to retaliate, Scurvy Dogs change their name to Rum Bandits...OK, you check the logs, and because the company name associated with the raid is shown by showing the name associated with the company ID the person was in at the time of the raid, they can no longer hide by changing company names.  In other words, when the PvP action is done, the system knows the company ID, so that is retained in this line of info, so it can update to the new company name.

This info needs to be available for a good while.

Why is this important?  PvP is more fun when there is a purpose to it.  More fun to attack somebody because they attacked you, than just attacking somebody because they just happen to cross paths with you.  More fun when the other guy is wearing the black hat.

• Like 5

Maybe they can  make it so you can see every Company that character has been in? Some Kind of reputation system? A way to look up players and Companies in game and see who is in them. Character's Can earn Reputation Rewards the longer they are Loyal to their Company.  A way to level up the Company for Perks or a Company Leveling/reward system. Or simply put a cooldown timer on when you can join/create a new company.

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

So here's an idea.  I know they aren't likely to take that ability away, so allow us to see a different log...a PvP log.  Right now we have just one log, and if somebody is tearing something down to build something else, you soon lose a lot of that log.  So instead, have a separate log for PvP actions, and allow that log to update when you view it, or select for it to update.

Play with company A.  Quit company A.  Form company B. Company B invites company A. Company A merges into company B. Company B get all assets of company A, a new name and a new ID.

1 hour ago, Quinshala said:

Maybe they can  make it so you can see every Company that character has been in? 

This is exactly what EVE Online did. And you can open up details about each of those companies and see who their ceo is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Play with company A.  Quit company A.  Form company B. Company B invites company A. Company A merges into company B. Company B get all assets of company A, a new name and a new ID.

Ooof. Yeah, problem. Maybe info show takes merges into account? Dunno. Tricky.

I dont even know why theres combat logging at all. If i snipe someone from hundreds of meters away, why should he know who killed him? Why would a small company "pirate" and attack a big one when they can just read company log and then hunt them down until they completely wipe them.

Edited by ave26

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Ooof. Yeah, problem. Maybe info show takes merges into account? Dunno. Tricky.

Again, EVE's solution. It's never about companies, they come and go. It's about individual players and the history of companies they belong to and for how long.  If you were attacked by company A yesterday and company B today.  You look up the leadership of company B and see that yesterday they were in company A... you have your answer.

The problem with not allowing this is it makes very hard for little tribes to survive. If you are in a big tribe, you can log off at night and come back the next day and your stuff is still there. If you are in a little tribe however things are likely to be much harder. I'm in one of the top 10 tribes atm so I can't say for certain how it is for small tribes but from what I heard life is pretty hard and they rely on hiding and stealth to survive when they go offline.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

The problem with not allowing this is it makes very hard for little tribes to survive. If you are in a big tribe, you can log off at night and come back the next day and your stuff is still there. If you are in a little tribe however things are likely to be much harder. I'm in one of the top 10 tribes atm so I can't say for certain how it is for small tribes but from what I heard life is pretty hard and they rely on hiding and stealth to survive when they go offline.

tbh its not that bad at all, depends on diplomacy and not shitting in your own back yard, but ofcourse random offline burndowns happen, but its not to the extent where you get randomly wiped off the map. Just look at it as a way to get rid of the excess ships from the crazy double harvest weekends....

I like that you have the ability to change company names. By allowing this it gives a chance for a small or solo company to hit a larger company and stay somewhat hidden.

The devs should really look towards EVE-Online on this issue, sometimes the log in this game doesnt even show who offline raided you, PVP is great, but i lacks meaningful consequences, if you add a log that works somewhat like in eve, there would be no hiding from your actions.

That doesnt stop you being able to raid, it just gives the victim, who is often the little guy anyway, a chance to respond.
As it is now, you can get raided, and you won't even know if it was your neighbour or someone from 7 grids away randomly sailing by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fiil said:

The devs should really look towards EVE-Online on this issue, sometimes the log in this game doesnt even show who offline raided you, PVP is great, but i lacks meaningful consequences, if you add a log that works somewhat like in eve, there would be no hiding from your actions.

That doesnt stop you being able to raid, it just gives the victim, who is often the little guy anyway, a chance to respond.
As it is now, you can get raided, and you won't even know if it was your neighbour or someone from 7 grids away randomly sailing by.

I agree that the log is lacking and needs to show more detail who destroyed what and so on. What does the EVE logs do differently ? 

6 minutes ago, labatts said:

I agree that the log is lacking and needs to show more detail who destroyed what and so on. What does the EVE logs do differently ? 

EVE logs (or killmails), show everyone who participated in killing you (anyone who did damage to you in the event that killed you, or your structures), you can then click on the listed participants and see what corporations they are in, and what corporations they have been in, in the entirety of that characters life).

So what you know in EVE, is who did it, and what groups have they affiliated with, and you can always look them up later, to see who they are affiliating with later, if that changes.

In my opinion, this makes for much more hardcore PVP, as you can always choose to be the villain, but doing so, will follow you, maybe nothing will come of it, but it does make you think twice before going on a killing spree.

I mostly spent my time in EVE as a pirate, so i won't say it outright deters people, but you always know you cant hide from your actions.

This game (and ARK for that matter), is a kiddie version of PVP, where nothing you do will ever really haunt you, and it feels very catered towards 10 year olds, that cant grasp their actions "means something".

10 minutes ago, Fiil said:

EVE logs (or killmails), show everyone who participated in killing you (anyone who did damage to you in the event that killed you, or your structures), you can then click on the listed participants and see what corporations they are in, and what corporations they have been in, in the entirety of that characters life).

So what you know in EVE, is who did it, and what groups have they affiliated with, and you can always look them up later, to see who they are affiliating with later, if that changes.

In my opinion, this makes for much more hardcore PVP, as you can always choose to be the villain, but doing so, will follow you, maybe nothing will come of it, but it does make you think twice before going on a killing spree.

I mostly spent my time in EVE as a pirate, so i won't say it outright deters people, but you always know you cant hide from your actions.

This game (and ARK for that matter), is a kiddie version of PVP, where nothing you do will ever really haunt you, and it feels very catered towards 10 year olds, that cant grasp their actions "means something".

I like all that except the part where you can look them up later and see who they are affilitated with at that point. That would still make it so you could not really hide at all. 

2 minutes ago, labatts said:

I like all that except the part where you can look them up later and see who they are affilitated with at that point. That would still make it so you could not really hide at all. 

The intention from the developers of EVE is exactly that, that you cannot hide, you can even pay npc's to get them to locate the player you ask them about, and you will then get an aproximate area that they are in, there is still plenty of ways to "hide" but you cannot, if you really piss someone off, ever think you are completely safe.

Neither should you, if you are a murdering, plundering scoundrel 😉

And, at least in EVE, it doesn't stop people PVP'ing at all. - But it does add consequences! 🙂

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised that Company Name changing isn't a gold requirement. Like gotta have 5000g to change the company name, or something like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, labatts said:

There were 'locator agents' that for a fee, and assuming you'd done enough pve to enable them, could tell you what system a particular player was in.  But the vastness of EVE often made it difficult to physically be in the same sector as that person.  The beauty of this is that players could often create a name for themselves but still hide in the anonymity of a huge galaxy... kinda like a pirate huh? I had people who held grudges against my asshat character for years... kinda like a pirate.

• Like 3

Anything would be better than the present..."Oh, we want to go raid, but don't want to be retaliated against, so let's change our name to go raiding, then change it back when we are done.  Not cool at all.

43 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Anything would be better than the present..."Oh, we want to go raid, but don't want to be retaliated against, so let's change our name to go raiding, then change it back when we are done.  Not cool at all.

Stopping people from changing company names will not do anything. People are just going to use an alt account that's not in the company.