Sign in to follow this  
Defixio

Stalls and other animal-structure ideas.

Animals have superpowers in the ark/atlas engine. they can randomly fly into the sky, and fall through floors. they can go through walls and randomly die. in atlas they can wiggle under a boat and fall into the ocean. cliff platforms randomly hold them, or not.

The ark/atlas engine also has a sweet feature where human (players) and human crew  apparently can "sit" on chairs and they cling to the object they're meant to be riding.

can we adapt this idea to solve the wacky wiggling animals with the following suggestion:

1. Animal Stall. (sizes vary, cycle through size or style). it's a flat 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 4x4, 6x4 sized station that you can put on the floor. it looks like some hay scattered around, and maybe some wooden flooring. if you place it down, and bring an animal near it you can "move to stall" them and they move ONTO the spot, with their feet firmly planted and all space wiggling and ocean sinking is not possible. the animal cannot fight. heck maybe it even has less of an appetite. It has become cargo.

2. Low-lag "animal crate". the crate contains an animal. you bring the animal to the crate "load to crate" it. the crate takes on teh animals hunger profile and weight. You load it with food or it's fed by a trough. if the crate starves, teh corpse is ejected. the animal de-rendered and ceases to exist while it's a crate.  this limits lag on folks who are stockpiling animals or shipping a mass number of them. 

3. The Ready Post. you place the ready post and you can click on it, and use it to "pull" an animal to you that's nearby. this lets you rescue an animal who has fallen into the bowels of your ship or may be currently ramming their head through a few walls. 

4. Large Farm Structures. why not a chicken coop? what's it do? you bring a chicken to it. and cram it in. the chicken ceases to exist and an "object" that is not an actual chicken is seen inside pecking around and clucking. the coup can hold 6 chickens. it consumes food per chicken installed.  it produces eggs per chicken installed. add salt and the eggs last longer. BAM less lag, more cool town structures.

why not a cow barn?

Why not a pig sty?

I just don't think we always need wacky, bouncing, dieing, flying, wall poking, shenanigans getting in the way of good town build, fun sailing adventures, and overall player satisfaction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defixio said:

1. Animal Stall. (sizes vary, cycle through size or style). it's a flat 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 4x4, 6x4 sized station that you can put on the floor. it looks like some hay scattered around, and maybe some wooden flooring. if you place it down, and bring an animal near it you can "move to stall" them and they move ONTO the spot, with their feet firmly planted and all space wiggling and ocean sinking is not possible. the animal cannot fight. heck maybe it even has less of an appetite. It has become cargo.

3. The Ready Post. you place the ready post and you can click on it, and use it to "pull" an animal to you that's nearby. this lets you rescue an animal who has fallen into the bowels of your ship or may be currently ramming their head through a few walls. 

Better idea I think.

Hitching post.  One part that has the same features noted above.

It would pull the animal to the post and set it's behavior to passive/no-follow.  One of the most annoying things is to have my tame set to attack my target/follow, put it in the pen, walk away only to turn around and see it staring at me because I forgot to whistle "y".  Or, step outside, whack a snake, go back in the stables and find it's head stuck through a wall like a trophy because I forgot to change it to passive.  This would also fix another problem when using the "," to locate a lost tame without having to go through a grouping mess.  As it stands now, when you hit "," and you're near your stables, you're likely to have a stampede trying to run you over and then spend the next hour trying to get the tames back to where they belong.

I definitely want to take advantage of "sitting" on objects, and how it makes things GLUE DOWN to precisely where you put them without all the flying about.

4 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Better idea I think.

Hitching post.  One part that has the same features noted above.

It would pull the animal to the post and set it's behavior to passive/no-follow.  One of the most annoying things is to have my tame set to attack my target/follow, put it in the pen, walk away only to turn around and see it staring at me because I forgot to whistle "y".  Or, step outside, whack a snake, go back in the stables and find it's head stuck through a wall like a trophy because I forgot to change it to passive.  This would also fix another problem when using the "," to locate a lost tame without having to go through a grouping mess.  As it stands now, when you hit "," and you're near your stables, you're likely to have a stampede trying to run you over and then spend the next hour trying to get the tames back to where they belong.

Hitching posts exist in Ark so I think we should expect to see them in Atlas at some point.