I marvel at some of you are running a 1x2's, and how on earth you must struggle to fit all the quest islands in, the ghost ship and the Kraken! I realise that some of you are probably running servers on low spec machines or even on the machine you also play the game on.

I run a 3x3 and found it tight getting all the quest stuff in and a good spread of other islands for variety.

My Grid is:-

Polar - Tundra - Temp
Temp - Temp(h) - Trop
Desert - Trop - Equator

(h)=Home

Even though my 3x3 runs fine (now) I've still pondered on what the ideal grid size it, because on mine if we sail south from Desert we end up in Polar.

There are six biomes so it would seem obvious that a 2x3, 3x2 or a 1x6 is 'ideal', but is it? You don't need all 6 biomes for the main quest, as some biome types do not have matching PVE islands anyway.

In spite of this to me the ideal small grid is a 2x3 laid as:-

Polar - Tundra
Temp - Desert
Tropical - Equator

However that means you can sail south from Tropical and end up in Polar.

So then I thought a 1x10 would be best

Polar
Tundra
Temp
Trop
Desert
Equator
Desert
Trop
Temp
Tundra

That way sail south from the Southern Tundra to end up in Polar, however sailing east or west just brings you back on to the same server.

Also, that's jumping from 6 servers to 10.

As a compromise I wondered if a 1 x 8 would be better

Polar
Tundra
Temp
Trop
Equator
Desert
Temp
Tundra

and only 8 servers

Anyhow, what do you guys think, what do you think is the ideal server grid size?

Edited by Kaitlynn Allen
  • Haha 1

Good question! I had the same problems and was first thinkging about a 9x1 grid. But after trying a bit I was not happy with the result. I would favor a 8x2 map, but my serer can only handls I guess around 9 maps for now - and on some point I think , its enough  to honor mostly the biomes, also add all the PVE islands and still not have more than 6-7 islands per grid (I try to stay below 4MB without any player structures). But sure on my map you can reach the Polar Zone from Equator and Trop (here is my now working MapViewer 🙂 http://map.bukanier.org/)

I think honestly i would be okay with a 2x3 if it were just a group of like 5-10players, but for 10-20 I think a 3x3 is ideal which is what I run. I did start off with a 2x3 and found it good enough. As for how the zones transition in a worldly manner I get that some might want to experience it more realistically, but that's not needed for my experience and enjoyment of the game. My dream would be a 4x4 though (4 center grids set as PvP with fewer islands, but better treasure/animal levels), but it's definitely not needed for my small band of players.