Jump to content

sand man

LAN support needed.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lynx said:

I don't see changing the network connections for server and client as recoding the entire thing. It could be simple. We don't know.

 

LAN (no port forwarding) is just an extension of the existing unofficial server software. 

 

True single player mode would be part of the client and be a big project. Not what this thread is about. 

Atlas appeals to the Ark community. So unless the devs make a statement saying they will never development or allow direct internal lan connections then people will still hope for this.

 

Really? "Doom and gloom"? Look at steam charts. The negative almost linear trend, is unlike the other top 40 games.  But believe what you want, i was merely stating facts.

And here is the essence of the problem with the Doom and Gloom mentality. This statement shows an underlying assumption that the appropriate comparison is Steam’s top 40 games, anything less is regarded as a doomed game when the reality is steam supports literally thousands of games through its portal. Regarding a game as failing when it fails to compare favorably only to the top 1% of games on a platform is a pretty unrealistic expectation. Atlas had a horrible launch. It has not had an especially promising fist six weeks playerbase wise. It may never be a Steam Top 40 game. There is a vast difference between these realities and doomed, unless you follow the “wisdom” of Ricky Bobby’s dad: If you’re not first you’re last.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

And here is the essence of the problem with the Doom and Gloom mentality. This statement shows an underlying assumption that the appropriate comparison is Steam’s top 40 games, anything less is regarded as a doomed game when the reality is steam supports literally thousands of games through its portal. Regarding a game as failing when it fails to compare favorably only to the top 1% of games on a platform is a pretty unrealistic expectation. Atlas had a horrible launch. It has not had an especially promising fist six weeks playerbase wise. It may never be a Steam Top 40 game. There is a vast difference between these realities and doomed, unless you follow the “wisdom” of Ricky Bobby’s dad: If you’re not first you’re last.

 

My original statement wasnt all doom and gloom. It was just stating that if an easy to use LAN (no port forwarding)  option existed then maybe the population wouldn't have dropped as much. Since players who gave up on servers and griefing are just quitting the game, my suggestion of LAN ability would give players an alternative. And, before unofficial servers get suggested, some people are unwaveringly against them. This is what worked for Ark, there is a significant percentage of people playing either single player mode or LAN server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, Caldrin said:

This is an MMO that is designed to be played with other people.. kind of like world of Warcraft.. you don't get people asking for a single player version of world of Warcraft ...

I am sure the Devs did not want to waste anytime working on stuff to do with single player when the game is not designed for it at all.

I am actually surprised they even allowed small private servers.. 

So this game is made for you only then ?? very small minded and selfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sand man said:

So this game is made for you only then ?? very small minded and selfish.

How is that any more small minded or selfish than you wanting a version of the game that suits you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 5:56 AM, sand man said:

So many players are trying to play on there own servers but its hard without LAN or better still a Single player option.

There is LAN just start a server. Every server you plan on starts on a lan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nutcutt3r said:

There is LAN just start a server. Every server you plan on starts on a lan.

What are you talking about?

 

LAN servers without port forwarding do not work. The server cannot directly talk to the client only within a LAN. Internet and port fowarding are required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lynx said:

What are you talking about?

 

LAN servers without port forwarding do not work. The server cannot directly talk to the client only within a LAN. Internet and port fowarding are required.

Ya thats on you, no handouts yet. But look on the bright side everyone els is doing it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Ya thats on you, no handouts yet. But look on the bright side everyone els is doing it too.

You are not making any sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×