sand man

LAN support needed.

1 minute ago, Lynx said:

Already a 3rd party program that run only grid at a time for the full map, linked above.

I'm aware of that application, however that still requires you to be able to run multiple grids, and if you're running it on the same computer as the client it's going to take considerable computer resources.

2 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Because they use completely different networking.  Atlas is not Ark.  It's a completely different setup.

Atlas is multiple different servers stitched together to make 1 living world.  

Ark is 1 server per map that get linked to allow you to transfer back and forth.

The linking mechanism is very different clearly as Atlas has a short load time and you can sail entire ships full of people through at once.  

Atlas uses an in-memory database to handle transfers between grids, ARK writes your character file to a directory on the server and copies that file to the new server every time you transfer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Because they use completely different networking.

Which is exactly why this thread exist. Discussing the need or want for LAN server support to get added to atlas.

14 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Atlas is multiple different servers stitched together to make 1 living world.  

Ark is 1 server per map that get linked to allow you to transfer back and forth.

This really shouldnt matter for how a client connects or communicates with just 1 server. I just need communication to happen between server and client to happen all behind or within a LAN.

Just now, Lynx said:

Which is exactly why this thread exist. Discussing the need or want for LAN server support to get added to atlas.

This really shouldnt matter for how a client connects or communicates with just 1 server. I just need communication to happen between server and client to happen all behind or within a LAN.

And it already can from what @arzosah posted.  Your provider just doesn't like their methods.  That is not something the devs have to deal with that is something your provider has to deal with.

7 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

And it already can from what @arzosah posted.  Your provider just doesn't like their methods.  That is not something the devs have to deal with that is something your provider has to deal with.

What I am doing is still running the game over the internet, I'm am just able to connect using my computer's internal IP.  It's possible that Lynx's ISP doesn't allow him to have access to his router/modems firewall so he is unable to forward the ports that he needs to run a server.

Also one thing I ran into working off Teach's server guide that was linked earlier was that he said you can never connect using the servers internal IP, however that is exactly what I did to connect to my local server.  When I was using my WAN IP I couldn't get it to work, but as soon as I used my internal IP in steam's favorite server list I was able to find my server and connect.

IE 192.186.0.15:12345

12 minutes ago, MajorAvatar said:

@LYNX do you still own the game or not? if you do not, why you spam every topic with your opinion on it?

I am a potential customer, so my opinion is valid. Or, should no one else buy the game?

8 minutes ago, arzosah said:

It's possible that Lynx's ISP doesn't allow him to have access to his router/modems firewall so he is unable to forward the ports that he needs to run a server.

What i mean by LAN support is LAN only. No port forwarding or NAT loopback needed.

7 minutes ago, Lynx said:

I am a potential customer, so my opinion is valid. Or, should no one else buy the game?

What i mean by LAN support is LAN only. No port forwarding or NAT loopback needed.

Very well, I bite. the game has LAN support, if you have a little technical understanding about networking. Since i replied on your comments before, i must currently assume, you have little or no understanding about networking - sorry to say so.

I can set up a server, on a LAN, for this game, within ~15 minutes, so can you, if you are willing to dive a little deeper into the matter. It's a 'slightly' more complex setup than a public server setup, that should not hold you back too much.

Anyway, you do not even own or play the game... 

29 minutes ago, MajorAvatar said:

Very well, I bite. the game has LAN support, if you have a little technical understanding about networking. Since i replied on your comments before, i must currently assume, you have little or no understanding about networking - sorry to say so.

I can set up a server, on a LAN, for this game, within ~15 minutes, so can you, if you are willing to dive a little deeper into the matter. It's a 'slightly' more complex setup than a public server setup, that should not hold you back too much.

Anyway, you do not even own or play the game... 

I have no problem admitting i have little understanding of networking. I bought the game and tried to setup a server that operates behind a LAN with no port forwarding (my help thread was linked above). I was never able to connect to my own server. 

I would be interested in buying Atlas again.

You should be able to run a server even if you don't own the game since the download/upgrade commands use anonymous, and the server can be check through steam's server list even if the game isn't installed.  I would suggest making sure you have the ports forwarded through your windows firewall/anti-virus software and try to find your server using your computer's internal IP address in the favorites list, if you can get that far it means your server is at least viewable through steam.  and you should be able to find the game through the atlas client if you re-purchase it.  As I mentioned earlier, I know that the guide you were using said that would never work, however it is exactly how I got mine to work.

13 minutes ago, arzosah said:

I would suggest making sure you have the ports forwarded 

This is the part that dosen't work with mobile isp. 

That's why i keep speaking up in the single player or LAN server discussions.

I need the server and client to talk to each other inside my LAN, never knowing the internet exists. Except whatever drm is between the client and steam.

3 hours ago, Vaenix said:

LAN did not work for the first couple of days, there was a menu that was available that shouldn't have been due to the base game being based on Ark. 

Saying Private Servers will be available is not the same as saying LAN / Single player will be available.  And as I've stated this is EA they can expand it if they want or limit it further if they want. 

They don't have to do anything as they have not promised us anything other than an EA title that will change over the course of 2 years.

Im not sure why you are arguing against an option that 

A: You dont care about and

B: wont effect the mmo playerbase.

The Devs know full well that they are missing out on an entire segment of players that *only* play s/p and/ or LAN.

It makes zero difference to the rest of the game.

It should be in.

1 minute ago, Vesuvius said:

Im not sure why you are arguing against an option that 

A: You dont care about and

B: wont effect the mmo playerbase.

The Devs know full well that they are missing out on an entire segment of players that *only* play s/p and/ or LAN.

It makes zero difference to the rest of the game.

It should be in.

Not arguing against, go re read any/all of my post.  I said this is EA it is not a complete game and the available options may change.  Currently what is advertised is an Online MMO, no where in there can one assume Single Player or LAN would be an option.  As someone has already posted LAN is in fact an option.

Reading comprehension, it's rather important.

• Like 1

Of course it impacts the mmo players. Development takes time and resources. Both of which should be applied to finishing the game as it was originally intended and sold. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sklex said:

Of course it impacts the mmo players. Development takes time and resources. Both of which should be applied to finishing the game as it was originally intended and sold. 

Ark is also listed as an MMO and it has both single player mode and LAN server connectivity.

LAN servers would be beneficial to the game development. Its could be used by the playerbase (beta testers) to help test bugs and especially bug repeatability conditions.

Also, players who need a break from official servers, would have a choice other than quitting or unofficial servers. Unless you really like seeing the game drop on the steam charts.

Since unofficial servers exist, the 'only one official way to play' argument dosen't hold up.

58 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Not arguing against, go re read any/all of my post.  I said this is EA it is not a complete game and the available options may change.  Currently what is advertised is an Online MMO, no where in there can one assume Single Player or LAN would be an option.  As someone has already posted LAN is in fact an option.

Reading comprehension, it's rather important.

Reading comprehension is important yes... mobile isp's cannot do LAN currently as Ark can.

So as you've just pointed out... LAN is available... it just doesnt work to its full potential... again, leaving a good portion of pple that would buy/play no option but to go elsewhere.

Not being a smart ass is also important yes?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaenix said:

As someone has already posted LAN is in fact an option.

That person wasn't talking about a true LAN server, but a port forward internet server.

True LAN isn't an option. 

5 hours ago, Vaenix said:

Why should it?  You are misinterpreting the store page to suit your own needs at this point. 

And you are misinterpreting "MMO" to mean "No Solo Players".

MMO means a large number of players on-line.  It doesn't force all those players to have anything to do with any of the rest.

Edited by Hambo

4 hours ago, Vesuvius said:

Reading comprehension is important yes... mobile isp's cannot do LAN currently as Ark can.

So as you've just pointed out... LAN is available... it just doesnt work to its full potential... again, leaving a good portion of pple that would buy/play no option but to go elsewhere.

Not being a smart ass is also important yes?

I couldn't care less about being a smart ass, I care about people trying to twist words because they don't agree with the full point being made.

It's an EA, that already leaves out a good portion of the market. 

It not having single player or LAN doesn't really matter right now if they plan to have it down the road fine, if not then also fine that is entirely their decision.

If it is something you want, feel free to add it to the "Suggestions" forum, especially if your gonna whine about someone posting that isn't in full agreement or has anything else to say.

3 hours ago, Hambo said:

And you are misinterpreting "MMO" to mean "No Solo Players".

MMO means a large number of players on-line.  It doesn't force all those players to have anything to do with any of the rest.

Alright since you are deliberately missing the point I will spell it out in plain text so that a toddler can understand.  This entire post was about options for joining the game, single player/lan/online servers.  Every post I threw up was regarding the fact that they don't have to do it and they have not promised that they would have an option on the game for LAN let alone local single player.  Please go read the store page if you truly believe they have promised you a full release game that has these options feel free to contact a lawyer, I'm sure they'd be happy to take your money.

Running this game on a single player basis on a LAN may not be possible. The net code between server nodes appear to be heavily on steam's matchmaking. It would probably be possible to host a single instance of a grid square but without the server handoff between persistently running nodes would be clunky at best. Also since the game is designed to be in sync there would not be a way to hibernate the other grid squares and keep their data refreshed. To give an example on Ark a locally hosted Non Dedicated  Ark instance requires other players to be tethered to the host because in single player the whole instance is not active at once. 

3 minutes ago, MaxDredd said:

Running this game on a single player basis on a LAN may not be possible. The net code between server nodes appear to be heavily on steam's matchmaking. It would probably be possible to host a single instance of a grid square but without the server handoff between persistently running nodes would be clunky at best. Also since the game is designed to be in sync there would not be a way to hibernate the other grid squares and keep their data refreshed. To give an example on Ark a locally hosted Non Dedicated  Ark instance requires other players to be tethered to the host because in single player the whole instance is not active at once. 

On LAN you would be running a dedicated server.. not hosting a non-dedicated. At the moment, the only access to a LAN server is via the web... that is the main issue here... there is no way to run a dedicated server over LAN without being online... wich makes no sense at all.

LAN support? Its not 1999 still is it? Who the hell does LANs in 2019?

It must be what 0.0001% of the entire Atlas population and certainly not something worth the devs time when there are so many major issues with the game that need to be worked on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

LAN support? Its not 1999 still is it? Who the hell does LANs in 2019?

It must be what 0.0001% of the entire Atlas population and certainly not something worth the devs time when there are so many major issues with the game that need to be worked on.

There is an increasing number of people getting internet from mobile isp. These will not function for internet servers, port forwarding dosen't work.

I would guess that most of the current Atlas owners who now just want to play alone in a single player world or LAN server, have simply quit the game. Population shows this.

And the demographic of people who will only buy if single player mode is an option, simply will not buy. 

The devs chose to offer server software and a devkit. I should be able to get the server to two-way communicate with my client behind a LAN. Ark does this.

Also, what about people who want to host and the same machine they play on? Really a server cannot directly talk to the client that's in the same machine? No.

7 hours ago, Vaenix said:

If it is something you want, feel free to add it to the "Suggestions"

There is already a suggestion about adding single player mode. This discussion isn't about a true single player mode, meaning the client would run the server.

It's about extending the existing advertised unofficial server functionality, to include no port forwarding LAN server conditions.

With the Altas population dropping, implementing LAN (no port forwarding) could help increase the population and bring in new customers.

2 hours ago, Lynx said:

There is an increasing number of people getting internet from mobile isp. These will not function for internet servers, port forwarding dosen't work.

I would guess that most of the current Atlas owners who now just want to play alone in a single player world or LAN server, have simply quit the game. Population shows this.

And the demographic of people who will only buy if single player mode is an option, simply will not buy. 

The devs chose to offer server software and a devkit. I should be able to get the server to two-way communicate with my client behind a LAN. Ark does this.

Also, what about people who want to host and the same machine they play on? Really a server cannot directly talk to the client that's in the same machine? No.

There is already a suggestion about adding single player mode. This discussion isn't about a true single player mode, meaning the client would run the server.

It's about extending the existing advertised unofficial server functionality, to include no port forwarding LAN server conditions.

With the Altas population dropping, implementing LAN (no port forwarding) could help increase the population and bring in new customers.

So your saying you want them to recode the entire thing during this EA process to meet your needs which may or may not actually give them any new customers while their still trying to finish the game?  Personally I'd rather them continue working down their development plan and if LAN/Single Player is on that list so be it, but it's not like they would be the first game to be online only(a lot do it and a lot are still successful at it).

Also we're going down the "doom and gloom" bullshit again, for the most part atlas population can drop and will during the EA process.  It will have it's rises and falls as people get to the end of the content and take breaks until new content comes out, using that as a justification for your wanted change just shows you don't actually understand this process.

22 hours ago, Vaenix said:

recode the entire thing

I don't see changing the network connections for server and client as recoding the entire thing. It could be simple. We don't know.

LAN (no port forwarding) is just an extension of the existing unofficial server software. 

True single player mode would be part of the client and be a big project. Not what this thread is about. 

but it's not like they would be the first game to be online only(a lot do it and a lot are still successful at it).

Atlas appeals to the Ark community. So unless the devs make a statement saying they will never development or allow direct internal lan connections then people will still hope for this.

Also we're going down the "doom and gloom" bullshit again, for the most part atlas population can drop and will during the EA process.  It will have it's rises and falls as people get to the end of the content and take breaks until new content comes out, using that as a justification for your wanted change just shows you don't actually understand this process.

Really? "Doom and gloom"? Look at steam charts. The negative almost linear trend, is unlike the other top 40 games.  But believe what you want, i was merely stating facts.