Nokim

SOD kiling builds

I'm curious as to what designs people have come up and what your best success was.

First i started with a sloop, yes a sloop with 3 canons in the back. was good enough to drop ships below lvl 9 as they gave chase.

Then i moved up to schooner(9large cannons) and i can drop up to lvl 20 yellows with minor scratches if touched at all, maybe one plank lost at worst case. I believe i may be able to take out a red but that is untested as of yet.

Next will be a brig(18large), and i believe i can take out reds and orange with it...but remains to be seen.

cept for sloops 3 rear canon design, the schooner and brig will are all forward cannon design. I don't use any side cannons.

has anybody used a schooner to kill Red+ what configuration did you use? how many cannons and what type?

yea i've seen those standard armor your ship with tons of little guns on the sides approach . doesn't fly too well with me. most of them take massive damage and can only handle green low lvl green ships.

My design is kill first before you get killed. Made a vid last night pushing my limits a bit on higher risk ships. With someone to repair for me i think i could possibly take on a red with my schooner. Easier once i finally upgrade my cannons as im running with vanilla cannons right now.

thats my schooner build. i'm working on a brig version with 18-24 frontal  blue quality 115%damage boosted cannons that i'm hoping to smash red ships with.

I have a schooner, 4 large front cannons, 4 large rear cannons. Highest SoTD so far is lvl 27. I'll go after higher when I see them, just haven't seem them yet.  I run in straight at them with a shot from the front, then turn and give then the rear 4.  depending on the wind and how they are moving, I may swing in the front again or kite them with the rear.

I just set up a schooner with 5 large cannons on the rear but havent had a chance to use it yet. 

20 hours ago, jabnlab said:

I just set up a schooner with 5 large cannons on the rear but havent had a chance to use it yet. 

Have a screen shot?  I've been wondering if I could fit 5 without doing anything crazy but haven't tried yet.

2 hours ago, TyGeR_STD said:

Have a screen shot?  I've been wondering if I could fit 5 without doing anything crazy but haven't tried yet.

y4mwuc7-ki2zgtq13F5ilD4KQbTwcbaYUk1UGUlY

y4mk2rTi4_3NCeYl1xeRqb65zebiOA2xnMspXRr7

Its untested and I plan on having my brother doing repairs so theres no armor. We are on pve too so no players to worry about

Edited by jabnlab
  • Like 1

Thanks for the photos, I wanted to stay with in the 3 squares of the rear so I only did 4 cannons.  would have liked to had a 5th.

I have two ballista on top of the rear for hunting whales, guess I could add a 5th between them

No problem. I also have a brig with 12 cannons on the port side that I havent used to fight sotd yet, I just can't justify paying for the npcs to man them when ill rarely use it. With the schooner i only need the 6 npcs I already have.

Edited by jabnlab

I put 8 medium ship cannons on the back of my schooner. I have two levels, 4 on each level. This works really well if you set them to long distance. I can usually sink a SOD with no damage to the schooner, but sometimes 2 or 3 of their cannon hit my ship.

I tried some large cannons, but could not get them to work, possibly I didn't have enough space behind them. I originally tired to do it with just four ceilings in a 1 x 4 pattern. Later I changed to 2 x 4 like you see in the above builds.

So do the yellow or red ships shoot farther? I'm wondering if you have enough cannon balls and can avoid being hit, couldn't you sink them same as the green but just take a bit longer to do it?

Build in progress. Our second Galleon will be a Galleon of War. Should be able to take out lvl 40-50 SoD with ease. 
We will also mount some Ballista for whales and other big monsters of sort. 

24 Masterwork Cannons with 154% dmg. 

20190207193617_1.thumb.jpg.09ec2ed931c08851c7eecec1cd3f5693.jpg

I'm part of the SMT Merchant Company on PvE EU. 

Edited by Goldraven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldraven said:

Build in progress. Our second Galleon will be a Galleon of War. Should be able to take out lvl 40-50 SoD with ease. 

I feel like thats almost overkill for anything but maybe like the ghostship or boss fights

I also have a schooner. Initially I had all side medium cannons, 1 large front and 3 large back but I noticed that rear cannons aiming, for me sailing solo is a little bit more difficult than front and AI does not do a good job. I had side skirts from half stairs so most of the damage during side by side battle is concentrated on these. I since redesigned this to roll only 3 front cannons in addition to side cannons and removed any unneeded weight. Problem with schooner and large cannons is that you have to come back to port every 2-3 battles either because you need to stock on heavy cannonballs or on repair resources. Medium cannons give you more room to defend. Also side cannons help you when fighting with more than one SOTD and are much more forgiving. The biggest problem with front large for me now is often SOTD will ram you when you try to shoot it and that damage to planks is heavy.

I'm going to build another schooner with BP planks and cannons and the design will be armored on front and side. Also I'll roll with large handling sail instead of speed sail because speed is not that important during battle and with that design you'll always be slower due to resources and cannonballs needed. 

I did usually fight 3-4 SOTDs before returning to land and could take 2 sub lvl 9 or one up to lvl 20 withouth

Edited by radosc

i think you just need to lvl up your schooner. As you can see I have 9 large cannons on the front. I carry 300large cannon balls, 1k thatch, 1k wood, 250metal, 100alloy bars, 200-400 leather, 1k fiber. It takes about 7-9 sods before i am out of ammo and have to head back and end up with plenty of left over mats for repairs.So far the worst i have done is replace 1 plank per trip.

Last couple of nights I have been hunting sods and I have gotten much more efficient at it. Turns out another benefit of large frontal cannons is easier aiming as you mentioned but also the ability to Manually Hold and Snipe aim easier. I have learned to use the range guide lines that only appear if the cannons  are in sight of your mouse aim spot, to synchronize 9 shells into landing in 1 spot at max range. With a bit more practice i think i can take out red ships solo before they even get close enough to shoot back.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, Goldraven said:

I have to admit I'm curious what your approach to combat will be. Are you going to have any cannons other than those?

I haven't used our galleon in combat yet but I've piloted it enough to know it turns like a bus in a tar pit, so I'm thinking broadsides would be best, which is how we're configured. I've considered fore and aft supplemental cannons but not one or the other as my main armament, though if I were going to pick I'd say front cannons. 

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how this works out.

3 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I have to admit I'm curious what your approach to combat will be. Are you going to have any cannons other than those?

I haven't used our galleon in combat yet but I've piloted it enough to know it turns like a bus in a tar pit, so I'm thinking broadsides would be best, which is how we're configured. I've considered fore and aft supplemental cannons but not one or the other as my main armament, though if I were going to pick I'd say front cannons. 

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how this works out.

I like the back cannon approach. It takes a bit getting used to the way you need to turn to aim them, but it makes it very hard for the SotD to hit you. Although if they do, it can damage your cannons.

I feel the guns on the back give you more options. If they are on the front, like others have said, you can get rammed, and unless you have a galleon, that is going to hurt.

I'm just running a schooner, so I also want the option to run away quickly if things turn south 🙂

3 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I like the back cannon approach. It takes a bit getting used to the way you need to turn to aim them, but it makes it very hard for the SotD to hit you. Although if they do, it can damage your cannons.

I feel the guns on the back give you more options. If they are on the front, like others have said, you can get rammed, and unless you have a galleon, that is going to hurt.

I'm just running a schooner, so I also want the option to run away quickly if things turn south 🙂

Sure, I get that on a schooner, or even a brig, because they can maneuver fairly well comparatively, but a galleon doesn't turn worth a damn. I guess if you skimmed by really close and blasted them right after you pass them that might work, but you better get them in one hit because after that things might get awkward. Certainly, 24 large cannons could do that, provided you hit with most of them. 

I have more or less solved the occasional ram problem. My biggest issue right now is that the schooner is hard to aim with because it turns so damn fast even when at 90% weight.running away is not an issue as long as im fully repaired soloing a yellows is not that big of a concern.

i'll make a video later to show what im talking about. But my brig is for sure going to be frontal cannons now that i have some things figured out. that first salvo of 18 or 24 cannons will just about obliterate a red on the first hit if i align the cannons right.

OK, now that we finally got our galleon fully crewed and all the cannons manned, I've actually gone into battle against the SoD, and while I'd still be hesitant to put all my guns on the back, I've found that the SoD have a tendency to end up in your rear arc if they survive the broadside. So I definitely see the appeal of having some cannons back there now, because as I noticed before the galleon turns as slow as molasses on a cold day. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:54 AM, jabnlab said:

y4mwuc7-ki2zgtq13F5ilD4KQbTwcbaYUk1UGUlY

y4mk2rTi4_3NCeYl1xeRqb65zebiOA2xnMspXRr7

Its untested and I plan on having my brother doing repairs so theres no armor. We are on pve too so no players to worry about

Looks pretty but its all wrong, reasons is always put the cannons on the seam of the 2 ceilings. 1 whale attack it swipes the back. So lesson learned there, seconded of all If you do not support it right under neath 1 big hit on the ceiling and it will go all poof too.

Rethink you builds. Looks cool but really it isnt when you lose it all. Take it from experience i had the same idea 2 times and both times they went poof at the exact same spots. Remember to use walls underneath it.

On 2/7/2019 at 1:41 PM, Goldraven said:

That's a tank i do not want to see on my shores, however with 1 big hit on mortars cya.... anyways your ship is way to heavy. Slow slow slow. I know i tossed over all the large cannons. May be good for ranging SODs but you would lose to a really good captain on a sloop... they would burn that big boy down... But its a nice tank of a ship, i love it really i do... but you will see what i am saying when you go up against a whale, 1 ship and 1 or 3 sods... how fast that puppy can go down.  any captain with skills, and medium cannons will out perform that ships turning speeds. I've seen it in battle before.

I believe I have got my schooner as good as it gets. I figured out a way to align my 9 cannons to hit within a 1x1 or smaller at max range. That means i can manually aim and hit with all 9 shells at max range 99% of the time.

with default cannons at 2,200 average damage per shell I could hit a lvl  24(94khealth) and have it half health before its even closed50% of the distance. best case scenario i would kill it before it hit me with more than 3 shells, worst case id lose 1 plank and take light damage in front.

Upgraded to 115%green cannons, damage per shell 2,750. I was able to take down a lvl 27 red(109k health) with nearly the same results every time. at best id lose only 1 plank at worst id lose 1 plank+1 cannon.I was nailing it for over 20% of its health at max range on first salvo.

I haven't found any but i believe a lvl 30 on frontal cannon schooner is very doable.I have 145% sturdiness so even if i solo, losing 2 planks should be no big deal.When i lose 1 plank i can literally stare at open space for 3+ minutes before i start seeing any water actually come in.

I did find bp for 124% cannons so i think ill use it for my 18cannon frontal brig. I should be able to 2 shot lvl 30 sods with that.

*as a side note with 300ammo i go about as fast as a sloop at 80% weight. but with 200ammo i can move fast enough to outrun any SOD.

ok so i took it out tonight and pushed my lil destroyer schooner to its limits.

but first...the sniping demo...

once i was warmed up it was time to show you how much a schooner can do.

had most success cannon on rear of sloop and just kite them slowing down every now and then to get them in range 

taken up to lvl 19 so far take a bit of damage here and there nothing major 

have almost compleyed my brig going going to fit front and rear cannons to it so i have options