Sign in to follow this  
George Catcher

Any way to kill a whale SOLO?

Because I already have 64 discovery points and still there at level cap of 53, I decided to hunt down a whale. I rebuilt my schooner, put there 2 ballistas, crafted 60 spears ammo, took all my crew and we departed. After a while we finally met one. I was steering. My crew shoot about 50 spears...

And guess what?

They didn't land a single damage. All spears just hit invisible wall over whale back and stuck there. The whale was swing over the water and all stuck spears were swinging with him. I gave up and back to the port...

M22GcrY.jpg

So... I wonder. Any way to do it? Or whales also not for me (as well as golden age ruins).

Edited by George Catcher

Yes. Lots of NPC’s on harpoons. I have only done a couple (few weeks ago) but that worked out fine. I’m not sure if they changed a lot to it in the meantime, anyone else knows? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Yes. Lots of NPC’s on harpoons. I have only done a couple (few weeks ago) but that worked out fine. I’m not sure if they changed a lot to it in the meantime, anyone else knows? 

Did U put harpoons to the back of your ship?

2 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

Did U put harpoons to the back of your ship?

No to the front. He was dead before it could reach us, the ship is sunk now so can’t check it but I believe we had 5-6 on them. But then again; I don’t know what happened to the whales and harpoons in the meantime. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Percieval said:

No to the front. He was dead before it could reach us, the ship is sunk now so can’t check it but I believe we had 5-6 on them. But then again; I don’t know what happened to the whales and harpoons in the meantime. 

Ok. Thx. I'll keep trying later then.

23 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I was gonna say get the whale hooked on meth, but harpoons seems faster.

• Like 1

Looks like it was bugged.  2 nights ago we had a ship firing 2-3 harpoons at a whale and they took it down in less then 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

This does sound like a bug.

Also note, other posts say it takes around 100 spears to take out a whale. You didn't have enough ammo anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ankhwearer said:

This does sound like a bug.

Also note, other posts say it takes around 100 spears to take out a whale. You didn't have enough ammo anyway.

I saw a vid, where guy said "you need around 50 spears".

Depends on the whale and on your hit ratio. The easiest way is to get the whale just behind the ship and have like 5 ballistics there - will melt in no time and most spears will hit.

What you do is tag the whale with a carbine, then sail away just fast enough to keep it behind you in range, then open up with the NPCs. Wastes the least amount of bolts.

2day I just tried again and shoot that whale (he is still there for a week now) myself. I hit him and even took 750 damage. He didn't aggroed me. Just turned around and went deep underwater. I was following him until hes health bar disappeared. Never see him again... so-o-o-o-o-o... the next question here is - how to make whale aggro and follow you : ))

here a video of me doing it solo on a schooner (blue whale, the friendly one). just showing this to explain you really have to get into the whales face that the speers work. your crew will fire at a way higher range than they can actually hit (not sure why). anyway they used up quite a lot of speers before I switched to firing manual. 

jump to 1:32 if you just want to see how I kill it. rest is me figuring out how close I have to be. 

for the aggressive version it should be easier since I can probably drag it behind me. 

btw schooner build is 5 balista front, 5 balista back, large speed sail, small handling, leveled in weight and crew costs. started with 300 speers, endet up with 160 left but I think I could have killed him with around 50 to 80 probably if I missed less. 

did that around 3-4 days ago after the patch with the whale spawn changes. 

Edited by Mephos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mephos said:

here a video of me doing it solo on a schooner

And then the sharks almost got you! And you recovered the dropped gold with 7 seconds left on the timer.

That was full of close calls for you.

15 hours ago, gimpbrush said:

hi, i have a galleon with 25 canons (large). is it possible with canons to kill a whales ?

Cannons cannot hurt whales.

Cruise at the same speed as the whale, so you kite it effectively, then get off the helm and fire the harpoons yourself.

9 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

And then the sharks almost got you! And you recovered the dropped gold with 7 seconds left on the timer.

Unless they have changed that in the last 2 weeks. i did kill it with cannons like 2 weeks ago. However i did kill it with my back cannons on my galleon. (But did this on private server, there shouldn't be any difference)

Edited by Zythana

11 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

They can but it's not relevant compared to the harpoons, a normal ship cannon hit for around 150 when we went through they were on aggressive and wasted some shots.

12 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

calculated ;D 

and it was 47s left ^^

Edited by Mephos