Sign in to follow this  
Ben Kor

How do we protect our fleets from ships of damned?

Aside from everyone gating in entire sections of islands (ruining the game for everyone), what ways are there to protect our ships from people kiting Ships of the Damned into shore to sink them.  Several ships have been lost on my island in this way over the last few days.  If/when it happens to me, I will likely quit playing. 

Just give our ships offline raid protection flags when our company members are all offline. The NPC AI is not suitable to protect against a griefer's persistence and abuse of faulty game mechanics. Only an arsehole griefer or troll would argue.

Edited by vaylain

Ye I think it would be cool to have offline protection when all members have logged off and the ships are anchored. You could have like a 10 min cool down for the protection to kick in so people don’t just log when be attacked etc. This would be awesome as well if you wanted to play with your boat as your base.

I think those are great ideas but I doubt devs are reading these and taking these suggestions into consideration.  I was hoping more for something I could do in the meantime while I wait for the problem to be fixed by the developers.  Someone mentioned mortars with NPCs but I have never used them.  Is it an effective defense against this type of griefing?  I can't make them right now but I would respec if it works. 

What is the range?  How many would I need to protect several ships?  Would the NPCs fire at anything hostile in range or do they only attack if they're attacked?  Are they very accurate without humans directing them where to fire?  Could they accidentally hit my own ships or docks?  Within how many degrees can a mortar fire?

Sorry for all the questions but I am at my max level which means if I use my respec, I will have to gain discovery points to get another one. 

Here is a picture of the ships I am trying to protect.  Note that I can not build out any farther into the water than I have due to building height limitations.

F7207069D6D7DD76E020AD7637FF633961C3AC92

4 hours ago, Ben Kor said:

I think those are great ideas but I doubt devs are reading these and taking these suggestions into consideration.  I was hoping more for something I could do in the meantime while I wait for the problem to be fixed by the developers.  Someone mentioned mortars with NPCs but I have never used them.  Is it an effective defense against this type of griefing?  I can't make them right now but I would respec if it works. 

What is the range?  How many would I need to protect several ships?  Would the NPCs fire at anything hostile in range or do they only attack if they're attacked?  Are they very accurate without humans directing them where to fire?  Could they accidentally hit my own ships or docks?  Within how many degrees can a mortar fire?

Sorry for all the questions but I am at my max level which means if I use my respec, I will have to gain discovery points to get another one. 

Here is a picture of the ships I am trying to protect.  Note that I can not build out any farther into the water than I have due to building height limitations.

mortars cannot be manned by NPC's

4 hours ago, Ben Kor said:

Place a tower ot two. Pack it up with cannons and NPCs and it's a safe base. Just set NPCs to attack ship

Edited by Grimuald

The grievers will be there and you lose resources. They will kite till you're out of Canon balls. At the end you will still lose. And they walk away with sod loot and your ship resources. And you lost your ships and payed gold for nothing.

And some find that pvp behavior oke in pve......

I think best solution is to build base with stone gates with obtuse angle at sea, so they can't hide anywhere. Yes this is expensive, but It's cheaper then 1 galleon.

I don't think any griefers will bother when faced with cannon towers. SOTD are weak and 10 cannons in total with enough cannon balls should handle it with ease. Cannonballs are cheap. 

3 hours ago, awakatanka said:

The grievers will be there and you lose resources. They will kite till you're out of Canon balls. At the end you will still lose. And they walk away with sod loot and your ship resources. And you lost your ships and payed gold for nothing.

And some find that pvp behavior oke in pve......

5 hours ago, Grimuald said:

Place a tower ot two. Pack it up with cannons and NPCs and it's a safe base. Just set NPCs to attack ship 

Unless this was recently patched, the Ships Only setting does not work, and the NPC's will waste all your ammo on sea bass.  

I submitted a bug report. Please find it and upvote it.

13 hours ago, Poot Pootington said:

Unless this was recently patched, the Ships Only setting does not work, and the NPC's will waste all your ammo on sea bass.  

I submitted a bug report. Please find it and upvote it.

Can anyone confirm this?

2 minutes ago, Ben Kor said:

Can anyone confirm this?

yes thats right if u set to ship only they shoot on everything.

that means ship only is the same as shoot everything

1 hour ago, KgB2305 said:

yes thats right if u set to ship only they shoot on everything.

that means ship only is the same as shoot everything

sadly this is true and very annoying , hopefully a fix wont be much longer 

A god way to save your ships is to be a nice person, so when you arent online and ther happend some shit your neighbor saved you fleet. We have a big ally on our island and when someone hear canons we came all to help, atm theres not a singel sinking ship

• Like 1

Tried the cannon tower last night, 8 npcs and was looking good. Set all to ships only but they started firing at every single fish in area. Not one setting worked no matter what I did.

• Like 1