Sign in to follow this  
moerserman

The damned ships are too aggressive

Our transport galleon is completely unarmed, and doesn't have problems with SOTD's or anything.  You just go past them.

Just ran through a cluster of about 9 (yeah, it was pretty dense).  Didn't take a shot though (two or three aggroed but I was moving too fast for them to hit me)

Edited by Archsenex

You guys shouldn't be losing ships to SotDs like that, especially a schooner or better. You see them well enough in advance and they don't aggro unless you get right up on them. If you're crossing zones, park at the border and have a buddy cross in the dinghy or do it yourself. Don't cross borders at full speed either because if it takes you a few seconds to load in, you'll be further past that border relative to your original speed. Get to the border, cross slowly for safety and then look around. If you were over weight, consider that a lesson learned.

11 hours ago, José Gaspar said:

Brigs draw aggro far more than Schooners and Brigs have the further disadvantage of being slower.      IN a Brig or above you almost have to run canons to protect yourself, you should not take out of port unless your ready to fight.   Schooners can usually scoot past them if you don't get too close.   If your used to Schooner, yes the SoD will seem far more aggressive.

You can out run them in every ship with the correct sails even with 75% load weight.

We have a transport galleon and brig that have no cannons and never have issues. Might take a volley of shots but that is all.

5 minutes ago, IICAMOII said:

You can out run them in every ship with the correct sails even with 75% load weight.

We have a transport galleon and brig that have no cannons and never have issues. Might take a volley of shots but that is all.

I wonder if some of the problem is that people fear them too much.  They cut sails and try to outmaneuver them, and sotd are infinitely more maneuverable than you are.  You will rarely succeed at complete avoid, and be caught sails down with a bad wind direction.   Maintain speed and stay in the wind,  accept one volley, and zip past.

1 hour ago, Archsenex said:

I wonder if some of the problem is that people fear them too much.  They cut sails and try to outmaneuver them, and sotd are infinitely more maneuverable than you are.  You will rarely succeed at complete avoid, and be caught sails down with a bad wind direction.   Maintain speed and stay in the wind,  accept one volley, and zip past. 

Yep quit cryin and learn to drive.

Schooner with one large and one small sail breeze right by em.. I aggro them all the time and never have and issue. I've aggro'ed like 3 green a yellow and two red at once and still blew by em..dont dilly dally and go fast, you'll be fine.