Sign in to follow this  
moerserman

The damned ships are too aggressive

The damned ships are too aggressive, since the last update 18

They follow you through sectors, my brig has sunk

since 7 ships of the damn me followed from I15 to I11 ????

• Haha 1

no joke, they followed me !!!!

my friends are witnesses

We had 10 cannons and 1000 shots
we lost everything at the end

Edited by moerserman

I dont know what the issue is because they are easy to outrun, and easy to out steer.

Either you were overloaded, had no wind, or sunk.

Dont take anything out to sea you are not prepared to lose. The idea is you are supposed to be better than they are, and sometimes your not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you were running too fat to evade, yet not enough to battle. I have been seen in the fat category to be throwing mats and shot off my diving platform to increase speed to make sure I didn't lose it all. 

I agree. Something changed. Just lost my first schooner to them. I do all I can to evade but that seemed out of the question this weekend as they seemed to spawn to the left and right, closing in. With low wind I was in trouble. Just got away and trying to run to an island for a safe place to repair and ran in to another spawn. Seems their aggro range has increased 

Low wind, no cannons or cannon skills = set back. Maybe I'll stay on land until I get some more skill points in those trees.

I run a cargo schooner with a friend from time to time and if we aren't sailing into an island there is about a 90% chance we are just willing to walk away every now and again to go grab a drink/food.  I've quite literally never ran into a problem with outrunning them after the first patch that nerfed them.  I've done this as recently as yesterday night. 

How heavy were you running this brig and how close to the SotD were you getting?  

the aggros not to bad unless your in a galleon even then not horrible 

never not even today has out running them been much of a issue if your trying to beeline against wind to a island or such perhaps or if you had to much weight "never exceed 75 % capacity"  

most sotd are easy kills if it was a cargo ship its understandable  but still should be able to escape easily unless your using weight sails which suck bad!

I came uncomfortably close to SotD in my Brig this morning, and it turned off (I easily could have hit it with the med cannon I was on). I was headed to pick up crew; so I'm glad I didn't have to fight it by myself.  I was at about 25% weight.

I'd say if you're not able to fight back, be VERY careful how much weight you have on board. 

The aggro range on them is small enough that even a Galleon can almost always shoot first.  I personally don't know how people aren't able to outrun them.  Are you going above 70% weight?  The curve for speed loss swings right around there, where getting heavier slows you down quickly.

So went sailing last night through 2-3 grids filled with SotD.  I'm not entirely sure what you all are talking about by aggro change/speed change/ buff whatever you want to call it.  Same amount of damage when one did hit us, it literally lost aggro after 2 shots realizing it wasn't going to keep up.  And that was 1 out of 20-30 that we ran into.  Even sailed through storms because we were in a hurry. 

I think it's happened to most of us by now, got sunk by SOTD. I was sunk the other week sailing through G6 and through no fault of my own my game crashed (shooter game error) frantically trying to log back on because the ship will be sailing away.

I manage to log in 3 minutes later only to find myself up against SOTD, trying to turn, I manage to sail away but not before the steering wheel smashes and a plank below. The only fault of mine was not making spares but i've since learnt that lesson.

I think they spawn way to many in at times, i've counted 6 spawn in front of me at any 1 time. There is no need for spawning so many, i'm just glad they go around in circles and not direct toward you as you're facing forwards otherwise that would be even harder. Many times i've been loaded to capacity and had to quickly steer away. The advantage of having a full load means you're moving slower and see them before it's to late.

I have only lost one ramshackle sloop to a SotD that caught me off guard. I had just launched the ship so I hadn't had the opportunity to level up the weight on the ship, so I was slower than normal. I've certainly been shot at and chased by them and taken quite a bit of damage, but I always managed to outrun them. Keeping your ship fast is the best way to ensure you can get away.

I've spent most of my time in sloops, and as long as you keep them under the weight handle, they can get away.  Being able to out run them is best if you can't fight them. If you aren't confident in your ability to destroy them, build for speed. I have refined the design of my sloop to lower weight and maintain the utility I have built in. As I have been searching for land to claim I have 5 sloops currently out in various, so I've had a lot of opportunity to refine the design.

Powerstone island zones are the worst for SotD...but I've seen some normal zones spawn quite a few...up to 10 in view at once. I wouldn't mind them lowering the spawn rate in normal zones.

Edited by ThunderGod97

In my experience you have to damn near run into one on a sloop or schooner for them to aggro, and even on my brigg I haven't had trouble avoiding them.

I've been sailing around on nothing but a raft since the game started just to avoid having to deal with SOTD.   I've had one shoot at me, and I got away, but I was sunk by one yesterday, and it was fairly weird.  Normally I try not to get closer to them than just enough to read the level, even though rafts are very safe, and that's about how far away I was, and the thing made a beeline for me and blasted me out of the water.

Earlier that day I'd passed at least 16 or so with no problem.

There is something weird going on with them.  I almost suspect some dev  is having a little fun after hours.

33 minutes ago, arzosah said:

In my experience you have to damn near run into one on a sloop or schooner for them to aggro, and even on my brigg I haven't had trouble avoiding them.

Since they introduced the Weight Class modification, I've STARTED running into them on my Galleon.

It's HILARIOUS fun.

12 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Since they introduced the Weight Class modification, I've STARTED running into them on my Galleon.

It's HILARIOUS fun.

Sounds like it's time for a game of galleon soccer.

41 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

It's HILARIOUS fun.

So are you saying they can not damage you in your Galleon by running into you?

I assume they can still fire on you.

So they are Brigs maybe.

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

So are you saying they can not damage you in your Galleon by running into you?

I assume they can still fire on you.

So they are Brigs maybe.

Yeah, my guess is they classed them as brigs.  They can totally still fire on you that close, I just ran into one on accident and was prepped to lose my ship, only to spin it around like a top.

Weird,  I've yet in about 300 hours had one aggro on me unless I fired upon them.   Will be playing in morning to see if there were changes made. 

33 minutes ago, Gfnjr said:

Weird,  I've yet in about 300 hours had one aggro on me unless I fired upon them.   Will be playing in morning to see if there were changes made. 

You don't say what ship. A few weeks ago changes were made to have them aggro onto rafts. Prior to that they did not. This was being exploited to use rafts to destroy SotD, so it had to be changed. They also made the aggro range based on the size of the ship, the smaller the ship, the smaller the range of aggro.

oh, they aggro on me all the time, I just sail right past and maybe take a few shots.  Unless the wind is absolute minimum AND you're laden, you can outrun them.

Edited by Archsenex

Brigs draw aggro far more than Schooners and Brigs have the further disadvantage of being slower.      IN a Brig or above you almost have to run canons to protect yourself, you should not take out of port unless your ready to fight.   Schooners can usually scoot past them if you don't get too close.   If your used to Schooner, yes the SoD will seem far more aggressive.

I never had any trouble while in a brig running 2 large speed sails, and one large handling sail set up, I rarely had to fight one, only time I fought one was when I went looking for them to sink, I always had a full npc crew tho, incase I did ever get into a fight