Ringo O'Rourke

Increase NPC Carry Weight

If Atlas has ambitions to be more than Ark with occasional ships, than something has to be done to challenge tames as the most essential utility in the game. One way to do this, in keeping with the theme of the game is to make NPC's more useful.

Give NPC's more carry weight. It doesn't have to be the in the thousands like tames, but say let each NPC carry 250. To make them more viable off-ship, and again, as useful as tames, let them be paid in food only, or at least mostly in food, while working on land.

Finally, consider letting NPC's wield gathering tools. Again, they don't have to gather on the order of bears, elephants or rhinos. But at least let them be in the same league as tames in this ability.

Making NPC's more useful in this way would also reward those who specialize in the game's main selling point, sailing ships, through the Captaineering skill tree. It would also allow more people to specialize in sailing, if NPC's were as useful as tames.

Edited by Ringo O'Rourke
  • Like 1

Then they also need to make them more ‘alive’ since they can run through everything. That can be OP. 

I agree. Triple the NPC's base carry weight and each promotion invested into it.

Yes I also think they should carry more weight. I only have a few NPC right now but does anyone know the total amount allowed for a company? There is only 2 of us so not sure if it's based on how many are in the company or everyone is set a limit.

While at it, why not raise my weight limit also? Since so much of this game revolves around chopping down trees.

What is it... 3 trips for enough just in wood for just one medium plank?

On 2/3/2019 at 3:36 AM, Ringo O'Rourke said:

If Atlas has ambitions to be more than Ark with occasional ships, than something has to be done to challenge tames as the most essential utility in the game. One way to do this, in keeping with the theme of the game is to make NPC's more useful.

Give NPC's more carry weight. It doesn't have to be the in the thousands like tames, but say let each NPC carry 250. To make them more viable off-ship, and again, as useful as tames, let them be paid in food only, or at least mostly in food, while working on land.

Finally, consider letting NPC's wield gathering tools. Again, they don't have to gather on the order of bears, elephants or rhinos. But at least let them be in the same league as tames in this ability.

Making NPC's more useful in this way would also reward those who specialize in the game's main selling point, sailing ships, through the Captaineering skill tree. It would also allow more people to specialize in sailing, if NPC's were as useful as tames.

Solid suggestion all around. I particularly like how you frame it within the context of differentiating Atlas from Ark. I find your arguments compelling and consistent with stated development goals. I think a separate profession of say leadership, allowing greater control of NPC crew for land based tasks might even mesh well with this concept.

On 2/3/2019 at 4:14 AM, Percieval said:

Then they also need to make them more ‘alive’ since they can run through everything. That can be OP. 

A fair point.