Sign in to follow this  
SirRedHawk

54 ships between at least 5 companies to take down a kraken, whats the prize for doing it?

Lets make a few key pointers before the discussion for those who were not part of the 100+ players that were a part of killing the kraken.

-have 54 ships mostly brigs with at least 5-7 galleons

-high ship volume the closer you get to H8 will cause multiple storm spawns attempting to destroy your ship

-once making it there with your armada (and you will need one) randoms may end up spawning the kraken which puts up a wall stopping outside ships from entering so you must all enter in spawn zone at same time.

-You will need to deal with many attacks.  one of which may one shot your brig.

-in addition it takes place in a storm which will cause damage over time while fighting and also cause you personally to take damage unless spec'd correctly

-you will need lot of resources in order to repair

Looking over this list you can tell this is a vary costly monster to attempt to kill.  It costs resources and time to build and prepare.

After all that 54 ships and an overloaded server to take this beast down.  What rewards did we get for this hard work (some more then other organizer i mean you).  Well nothing..........if you died.  you might consider that to be ok right.  But out of those 54 ships how many do you think survived?  40? 30? 20?  nope try 3....and out of the entire armada of 54 ships only the crew (which were still ALIVE) got any reward.  The rest of the armada got wasted time spent, sunken ships,  and sunken resources.   Maybe it was meant to be a risk a gamble risk all this for a chance of an reward.  The question i ask myself is why would I want to try it again?  Next question since now we know for a fact that if you die you get nothing how likely is it for people to work as a team to take this monster down again?

Personally I don't recommend even attempting if you want something back for your hard work.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Lylethrose from Blood Templar chiming in on this one. We made it through 3 phases of that fight to be insta killed by some RANDOM, mechanic. Most of us did. Its a problem, because you cant avoid something you cant see. it just happens.

I do disagree you dont actually need an armada, maybe 20 ships or well cordianted players will be fine.

The insta kill mechanic, and the ships of the damned not being able to be hurt (atleast on PVE from what i understand)) needs to be fixed.

All in all though it was fun.

the reason we took so many ships was because of the insta kill mechanic. If we had any less we wouldn't have downed it at all.

I can understand the reasoning about taking so many ships due to the insta kill mechanics.  However, it is amazing that out of 54 ships 3 survived with its crew a 4th survived (2nd from my company) without crew.  No matter how you look at it the current kraken fight is broken if thats the expected survival ratio regardless of reason.  If you disagree about loot I personally don't understand unless you consider your time to be vary cheap.  I value my time and would like to be entertained and get some kind of reward for my hard work.

Not a single ship (or likely person!) would have been lost at the rate we were going. Seriously, not a one!

There is an invisible instant crew / passenger kill mechanic that would take down 3-5 ships at a time. Not even ships, just the crew! The ships were left to die due to unmanned reasons. 

No visual queue, no audio queue, no nothing. Out of 150+ people attending - and a number of them rewatching streams - no one knows why or how they died. You are right to be mad that 150+ people put HOURS if not days into farming for zero credit because of a 'mechanic' that no one can explain. It's so badly shown "why" something is happening that everyone assumes it's a bug, and It can't possibly be anything else right?

No designer would leave an instantaneous mass murdering ability untelegraphed, right? .......  ᴿᶦᶦᶦᶦᶦᶦᶦᶦᶦᶦᵍʰᵗˀ

Edited by Vin

I'm happy to have finally killed it. That was our 6th actual pull on kraken. As the fight is now I believe it can be done with 2-3 galleys and about 20 minor ships if everybody is on the same page and understands how to work around the mechanics. We literally build ships specifically for fighting the kraken that are useless outside of the fight imo. We have lost 1 galley and I think 12 brigs from the other pulls. I have posted a bug report and messaged some of the employees on discord. I made a reddit post and people liked it to the point it became a hot topic, Jat posted and had the dev's look into it and that is the last I heard of it. As it stands you have to plan around the random death. If it was not bugged this fight is doable with 2 brigs and a galley with no casualties. With the bugs you need more people to soak the problems and death means you don't get the reward (which I would agree with if it wasn't a lottery death system)

~Lotus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 ships? That would be mad.

You just need people who know what they're doing!

We defeated the Kraken yesterday with 4 Brigs and 1 Galleon. Albeit, there was also a sloop in their who survived the entire thing haha (they weren't with us) but they didn't do much.

You don''t need a huge Armada, just gotta know how to kill it, what to avoid, and have plenty of planks, repair materials, food, water and med kits!

Are you kidding? 
Kraken 1.0 can easily be taken down with 3 brigs or 1 brig+galleon.
Kraken 2.0 we did with 2 galleons. All official. All documented.
With nice preparation organization and skilled captains there is nothing hard there.
And the reward is beautifull:
Kraken 1.0 Submarine
Kraken 2.0 Perks cooldown halved
Snowman - harvesting activated perk that gives you 10 minutes x2 on all resourses. In weekends it's smth.

Hunters.

Edited by Elena

42 minutes ago, Elena said:

Are you kidding? 
With nice preparation organization and skilled captains there is nothing hard there.
Kraken 1.0 Submarine
Snowman - harvesting activated perk that gives you 10 minutes x2 on all resourses. In weekends it's smth.

Hunters.

Please note this thread was made in February. The Kraken is different from what it was back then.

23 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Please note this thread was made in February. The Kraken is different from what it was back then.

ballistas were also different. 
we tried to beat him before wipe - still: nice preparation organization skills. ))
today we still see this picture of lots of ships coming in and dying the first electrical wave. every time...

What's funny is when a lot of us complained about having to defeat the kraken to get the sub,some of the players  were telling us they'd solo'd it and it was easy.

• Thanks 1

Thus why I don't bother with endgame content.  That's for those who don't mind loosing fleets of ships and weeks of grinding.  That they'll probably claim only took them 2hours.

13 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

What's funny is when a lot of us complained about having to defeat the kraken to get the sub,some of the players  were telling us they'd solo'd it and it was easy.

This was posted on February 3rd. It was done pre wipe when fighting kraken was really difficult due to the storms and sotd were immune to damage due to bugs. Its easy to take down kraken now with 6 brigs.

But the most difficult part is ligtning tentackle its rng and if it hits you may survive or die. When we did that people over 250 hp died and some survived so its totally random.

And yes if someone tell you endgame content is hard then ignore their advice, its easy if you co operate with others.

There are still some people here who find it really hard work to build a bloody galleon after 800 hrs.

GL. HF.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:47 AM, Vegetto said:

This was posted on February 3rd. It was done pre wipe when fighting kraken was really difficult due to the storms and sotd were immune to damage due to bugs. Its easy to take down kraken now with 6 brigs.

But the most difficult part is ligtning tentackle its rng and if it hits you may survive or die. When we did that people over 250 hp died and some survived so its totally random.

And yes if someone tell you endgame content is hard then ignore their advice, its easy if you co operate with others.

There are still some people here who find it really hard work to build a bloody galleon after 800 hrs.

GL. HF.

This pretty much sums it up.  Thinking im going to come back to the game here in the next 48 hours hope it wasn't completely messed up in the last few months.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:24 AM, Elena said:

Are you kidding? 
Kraken 1.0 Submarine

Hunters.

So the encounter was hella bugged. Basically the encounter would randomly hit your crew for damage that was intended for your boat. The damage that it did also had the decimal place in the wrong spot so it would 1 shot a brig. I think it was tied to the tentacle slam. The tentacle slam would also do a stupid knockback and if you didn't have a brig there to bail out your galleys you hated life. The tentacles were also physical entities so if you hit one when getting knocked out of the middle you sunk. The ships of the damned were labeled as players so PvE players could not kill them.

The reward when this post was made was actually the CDR. It was also going to give access to the polar and the polar was going to give you an ability that dropped aggro.

Here's some clips 😄

~Lotus
Edited by Lotus
fixed clips