Sign in to follow this  
Taiine

DEV's please, WARN US if theres going to be a big ROLLBACK with these updates!

So last night a group of us using tigers were off doing a batch of maps. Then the 2-hour warning for the next update popped up. Two hours? More than enough time to finish and get home!

We finished up less than an hour later and got everything back home, animals in their pens and what not. We unloaded loot, and logged out for the night.

Now we log in, we are rolled back to the last island we were at and from where I logged in at it was as we were heading back to the ship. So we were still on land... all the tigers we brought for the maps have been killed by the wildlife in the area, they were all on neutral but didn't survive. So we lost most the gold (we had 7 maps for the same grid) all our tools and supplies and yes, our tigers and the maps they were holding as we went on this venture.

All dead, all lost all due to this heck of a roll back that took us back over an hour.

So dev's,

PLEASE, DO A SERVER SAVE AND WARN US IN ADVANCE FOR IT

We paid good gold for them tigers off a breeder we met and now we have none of them now due to this.

This is not the first time I have lost tames and ships to these darn rollbacks! I've lost 2 brig's due to Ships of the damned due to the mighty 5-minute warning of patch updates while I'm sailing in very low wind, even if I made it to the nearest island I would be rolled back a lot further than them 5 mins.  So for the love of god let us know when the servers saving and so we HAVE SOME HEADS UP.

1 minute ago, mizunami said:

they did. there was a twitter post specificly stating they were doing like a 3 hour roll back

Not everyone "checks the game's Twitter" and expecting everyone to is silly. OP is right, there's no reason it couldn't have been noted in the server message. 

• Like 2

Just now, pope_kd said:

Not everyone "checks the game's Twitter" and expecting everyone to is silly. OP is right, there's no reason it couldn't have been noted in the server message. 

its not silly, its an official line of communication, and i do belive their biggest one. so expecting people to check it is perfectly acceptable. you dont even have to create an account to do so

• Confused 1

rollbacks are generally unexpected , so they cant warn about them much , i lost all morning contructions and tames as a result u dont see me crying about it , 2x weekend again softens the blow  

9 hours ago, mizunami said:

its not silly, its an official line of communication, and i do belive their biggest one. so expecting people to check it is perfectly acceptable. you dont even have to create an account to do so

Do you realize how many people play games that have no idea video game companies even have social media accounts, let alone religiously check them for updates? There's a built-in communication system for upcoming restarts and updates in game that can and should be utilized here, stop making excuses for it dude, you sound ridic. 

This roll back was the first roll back on PVE server (not counting the 2-5mins ones). The reason behind it was when the patch dropped something was wrong with the "Removing inactive ships" part. What ended up happening was it was deleting active ships..  They do a server save before the restarts. Thats why on normal patches you are right where you were or close to it.  They Tried to load the save but it was not working. so they had to load the next most recent which was about 45mins/1 hour roll back on MOST servers. Saddly some servers were a big more.

But the alternative to the roll back was about 30% of all ships on the servers being deleted

THe server came up after the patch and ships ere gone.. as soon as they relaized there was a problem the made postes on Discord and Twitter.  IF you choose NOT to use one of these to see whats happening.  Thats on you

Edited by Pax
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, mizunami said:

they did. there was a twitter post specificly stating they were doing like a 3 hour roll back

I don't check Twitter, they should not expect people to do so. That's why they use announcements in game

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyUK said:

I don't check Twitter, they should not expect people to do so. That's why they use announcements in game

Ingame notices are limited. 

Cant Complain if you refuse to adapt

43 minutes ago, Pax said:

Ingame notices are limited. 

Cant Complain if you refuse to adapt

How are they limited? Surely they can post them when they like? I don't think it's that hard to put out a few lines letting people know, you are limited on Twitter also.

20 hours ago, pope_kd said:

Do you realize how many people play games that have no idea video game companies even have social media accounts, let alone religiously check them for updates? There's a built-in communication system for upcoming restarts and updates in game that can and should be utilized here, stop making excuses for it dude, you sound ridic. 

Many, many devs use forums, twitter, discord, etc to communicate.

These devs are admittedly bad at it and they use too many accounts, but this is how it is.

Stomping your feet and refusing to use the systems that ARE there is your choice.

You can inform yourself and protect your play time, or you can refuse and lose stuff to rollbacks. 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Well, they DO expect you to use it, and if you won’t, then the consequences are on you.

1 hour ago, Endo Fett said:

Many, many devs use forums, twitter, discord, etc to communicate.

These devs are admittedly bad at it and they use too many accounts, but this is how it is.

Stomping your feet and refusing to use the systems that ARE there is your choice.

You can inform yourself and protect your play time, or you can refuse and lose stuff to rollbacks. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, they DO expect you to use it, and if you won’t, then the consequences are on you.

This is a really dumb argument. 

There's a communication system built into the game that broadcasts to every player currently online. Expecting all of your entire player base to check your outside communications is unreasonable and at this point you're just making bad excuses for why they couldn't just throw in a note on the actual game too saying "btw rollback X hours," there's no mutual exclusivity here, they can still "update their forums and twitter and discord," too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pope_kd said:

There's a communication system built into the game that broadcasts to every player currently online.

Yes, though from my experience of this particular instance, my server was offline the entire time the patch and roll back happened. Other than from Twitter or an outside source, there is no way I could have known this was taking place. I get where you're coming from, and I agree they should be better about timing announcements in-game, but in this case I'm not sure how that is beneficial since servers were offline.

Unless I'm missing something here, everyone in the thread on the anti-Twitter side of the spectrum is advocating the use of the in-game announcement for something like a rollback, but I just don't get how that's possible since the servers would have been offline by then. What am I missing here?

Edited by Devlin
Words are hard.
  • Like 1

Ingame notices will work for planned rollbacks, but if an update creates a problem that needs to be rolled back, it wouldnt have have mattered. OP finished and logged off before the rollback was necessary. He wouldn't have seen an Ingame message either. 

They need to force save, kick everyone then take servers down. Backup that save file a couple times, and then apply an update. But the communication in this instance was as good as we could expect from the devs. Oh shit, sudden problem we didn't expect. They let the community know, and took the route that meant less people were impacted by an issue. 

On 2/4/2019 at 1:43 PM, pope_kd said:

This is a really dumb argument. 

There's a communication system built into the game that broadcasts to every player currently online. Expecting all of your entire player base to check your outside communications is unreasonable and at this point you're just making bad excuses for why they couldn't just throw in a note on the actual game too saying "btw rollback X hours," there's no mutual exclusivity here, they can still "update their forums and twitter and discord," too. 

They do server announcements for rollbacks, I've certainly seen a few. The results would have been the same in any case, since it was an emergency rollback. I mean what do you expect to come from an announcement in game that in 10 minutes they are rolling the servers back an hour or more. The argument is that there is a good system used by many devs that is much better at updating the community about sudden issues rather than planned ones.