Sign in to follow this  
LiLBiTs

Nerfing glider (again?). Well, I guess that's it for me.

Nerfing vertical flight has taken a lot of enjoyment out of the game for me. Not sure how much whining and complaining it took for the devs to cave in to considering it an exploit, as I don't want to waste anymore time with this digging though a bunch of posts reading about people not understanding the mechanics of the game.

This was the closest to an updraft mechanic they had, and once mastered, it was so much fun to use. Especially for scouting and transporting supplies. I'd be really curious to see the actual number of players who actually had a problem vs. the entire playerbase. Unfortunately, nobody bothers going to the report/bug posts when they don't have an issue with anything, so then devs only see a select few of posts complaining and take that as the mass opinion.

I understand that flying across the sea/grid(s) to another island and then destroying ships is frustrating, but anyone had the ability to achieve this and retaliate with the same tactic. The real issue is that the vertical climb was finicky and took a bit of skill, and not everyone had the time or patience to try, so to them it was considered witchcraft. But it wasn't... There is literally a command bind for W and S to climb or dive. Because a vast majority of players didn't understand this, it became another means to bitch about the game after getting attacked. Instead of learning from the situation and redesigning defenses, they take to the forums to change the game itself. After all the prior nerfing to the gliders, there was no reason to go further. It was so risky to fly as is since the change to it's ability to open back up mid flight was adjusted. Plus, the glider's durability is the game's natural deterrent for abusing prolonged flight since you can only glide for as long as the suit lasts.

I hope this game will settle on a decently sized playerbase, but unfortunately after this particular change I don't feel that I'll be apart of it. The glam of the new-ish ARK aesthetics of the game wore off pretty quick, and I played plenty of Sea of Thieves to have had my fix for sitting on a boat sailing to an island and back for 2 hours. Achieving the vertical glide was a fun accomplishment and I was really excited to explore its possibilities. The nerf today made me realize it was glider that was keeping me interested. But whatever, it's been done. I'll be pretty damn shocked if they reverted it back since it's way more difficult to take than give.

I'm not saying I'm done with the game and that it's shit now. It's a great game, but my interest in playing up to this point was teetering and is now gone. The daily grind is more than likely going to turn to a weekly or monthly grind, if that. Unfortunately, I know another game will drop and what little was left pulling me to Atlas isn't going to be strong enough now. But that's how it goes. So for now, good luck everyone. I hope whatever aspect of the game you've come to enjoy doesn't get completely shat on because a bunch of n0obs took to the interwebs to complain about being n0obs 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It shows a remarkable lack of understanding of their own game. It's easy to call something a bug or exploit if you never made a design decision about how it should work in the first place.

29 minutes ago, LiLBiTs said:

Nerfing vertical flight has taken a lot of enjoyment out of the game for me. Not sure how much whining and complaining it took for the devs to cave in to considering it an exploit, as I don't want to waste anymore time with this digging though a bunch of posts reading about people not understanding the mechanics of the game.

This was the closest to an updraft mechanic they had, and once mastered, it was so much fun to use. Especially for scouting and transporting supplies. I'd be really curious to see the actual number of players who actually had a problem vs. the entire playerbase. Unfortunately, nobody bothers going to the report/bug posts when they don't have an issue with anything, so then devs only see a select few of posts complaining and take that as the mass opinion.

I understand that flying across the sea/grid(s) to another island and then destroying ships is frustrating, but anyone had the ability to achieve this and retaliate with the same tactic. The real issue is that the vertical climb was finicky and took a bit of skill, and not everyone had the time or patience to try, so to them it was considered witchcraft. But it wasn't... There is literally a command bind for W and S to climb or dive. Because a vast majority of players didn't understand this, it became another means to bitch about the game after getting attacked. Instead of learning from the situation and redesigning defenses, they take to the forums to change the game itself. After all the prior nerfing to the gliders, there was no reason to go further. It was so risky to fly as is since the change to it's ability to open back up mid flight was adjusted. Plus, the glider's durability is the game's natural deterrent for abusing prolonged flight since you can only glide for as long as the suit lasts.

I hope this game will settle on a decently sized playerbase, but unfortunately after this particular change I don't feel that I'll be apart of it. The glam of the new-ish ARK aesthetics of the game wore off pretty quick, and I played plenty of Sea of Thieves to have had my fix for sitting on a boat sailing to an island and back for 2 hours. Achieving the vertical glide was a fun accomplishment and I was really excited to explore its possibilities. The nerf today made me realize it was glider that was keeping me interested. But whatever, it's been done. I'll be pretty damn shocked if they reverted it back since it's way more difficult to take than give.

I'm not saying I'm done with the game and that it's shit now. It's a great game, but my interest in playing up to this point was teetering and is now gone. The daily grind is more than likely going to turn to a weekly or monthly grind, if that. Unfortunately, I know another game will drop and what little was left pulling me to Atlas isn't going to be strong enough now. But that's how it goes. So for now, good luck everyone. I hope whatever aspect of the game you've come to enjoy doesn't get completely shat on because a bunch of n0obs took to the interwebs to complain about being n0obs 🙂

you leave because glider nerf ? are you fking insane ? this game not about flights ... glider need to remove from game ! fking casual players everywhere ...

• Like 2

Hang on. You were taking a game based on the age of sail and trying to turn it into a jet fighter game?  May I suggest ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN.  Guaranteed they won't nerf your glider there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Hang on. You were taking a game based on the age of sail and trying to turn it into a jet fighter game?  May I suggest ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN.  Guaranteed they won't nerf your glider there.

lol, wow. In what way are you suggesting the gliders were anywhere close to being used in such a way? Air combat? Have you ever even used a glider? I mean, yeah you could potentially rain down fire on some ships or bomb some harbors, but in reality, the nerfs that were already in place made that next to impossible. Not to mention the lag causing the glider to randomly close and cause you to fall to your death or be stranded in the ocean. Yeah.. what wonderfully great air combat the game allowed for..

And based off of my post, in what way did I imply that I was using the glider to have air battles? The gliders lose health as you use them, so that in itself was a mechanic to counter your "air combat".

Also... Age of sail? So, in your expert opinion, the "age of sail" involves dinosaurs, monsters, and even fucking MAGIC, and yet somehow gliders having the ability to catch an updraft to allow them to glide until they break doesn't make sense to you?

Thanks for giving me a good laugh 🙂

Flying endlessly is something a player in a PVP game that's based on a time 200 years ago shouldn't be able to. That's simply overpowered, since you can fly from one corner of the whole map to the other one. This way you could move lots of material over theoretically infinite distances, making ships obsolete in the end. I mean, why use ships when you can do transport and scouting without them?

In a ship game there should not be stuff that makes ships unemployed.

This game is for people who want to steer sail ships, and the glider is just a tiny side aspect of the game.

Saying you leave now because they nerfed the gliders is like saying you leave because they patched out the body bag exploit (that made transport tames obsolete).

I agree to that one guy who said like If you love flying, play a game about planes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GugoKapet said:

you leave because glider nerf ? are you fking insane ? this game not about flights ... glider need to remove from game ! fking casual players everywhere ...

Perhaps if you actually read my entire post you'd have understood that my point is that one of the few things I've found to enjoy in this game has been unnecessarily nerfed, yet again, so I'm not as driven to hop on and grind for hours and hours. All because of players who are too thick to learn how to use it, and instead hop on the forums to complain until it's removed. And who are you to say this game isn't about flights? There's a fucking DRAGON in it lol. This is a survival game, meant to be played with all of the mechanics provided, not just have them removed or constantly nerfed because a handful of players who love to voice their negative opinions online can't grasp how to use them.

1 minute ago, LiLBiTs said:

Perhaps if you actually read my entire post you'd have understood that my point is that one of the few things I've found to enjoy in this game has been unnecessarily nerfed, yet again, so I'm not as driven to hop on and grind for hours and hours. All because of players who are too thick to learn how to use it, and instead hop on the forums to complain until it's removed. And who are you to say this game isn't about flights? There's a fucking DRAGON in it lol. This is a survival game, meant to be played with all of the mechanics provided, not just have them removed or constantly nerfed because a handful of players who love to voice their negative opinions online can't grasp how to use them.

Jep, and it’s their decision to change one of the mechanics to their liking, it’s where you signed up for. But maybe we will see you back later with the flying ships. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malakai030 said:

Flying endlessly is something a player in a PVP game that's based on a time 200 years ago shouldn't be able to. That's simply overpowered, since you can fly from one corner of the whole map to the other one. This way you could move lots of material over theoretically infinite distances, making ships obsolete in the end. I mean, why use ships when you can do transport and scouting without them?

In a ship game there should not be stuff that makes ships unemployed.

This game is for people who want to steer sail ships, and the glider is just a tiny side aspect of the game.

Saying you leave now because they nerfed the gliders is like saying you leave because they patched out the body bag exploit (that made transport tames obsolete).

I agree to that one guy who said like If you love flying, play a game about planes.

lol, maybe you should check out the lore of this game before you base your argument on what technologies should exist in it:

"Long-ago, far above the watery world of ATLAS there once existed a magic-powered “Golden Age”-- where great Empires of the Sky lived at peace alongside magical creatures, flourishing upon floating continents above the clouds, all powered by a magical source of energy known as the Heart of the Goddess, granted by the powerful beings who dwell in the stars beyond. However, a powerful warlord known as Xevos sought to unite the human civilizations over the magickind, and launched a war that broke the Heart into pieces, unleashing a wave of destruction that shattered the floating landmasses and plunged them into the waters below.

Many generations later, as living memory of the “Sundering” has faded into legend and the once-plentiful magical energy has long since dissipated, descendants of the protectors of the Heart of the Goddess -- known as “Pathfinders” -- emerge from their provincial oceanic lives to explore the new continents and islands, and seek out the power they may yet contain. Across the vast new world they’ll encounter hostile creatures, technological remnants of the Golden Age past, and ultimately the undying spirit of Xevos himself and his soulless “Army of the Damned”, still intent on recovering the pieces of the Heart of the Goddess to raise the continents once again under his vision.

If the latest generation of Pathfinders can outwit and outgun Xevos and his legions, and recover the Heart pieces for themselves, they will be faced with the very same choice: whether to attempt to restore the old world, or build a new better one…"

• Like 1

tldr

I did not say there shouldn't be gliders. I like them, too. But I said a player should not be able to fly endlessly in this game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malakai030 said:

tldr

I did not say there shouldn't be gliders. I like them, too. But I said a player should not be able to fly endlessly in this game.

But... you can't fly endlessly if the glider BREAKS after a certain amount of time using it...

Personally I think the glider is a dumb carry over from ark whatever lore reason you wrap around it. It doesn't belong, end of.

As for moaning about the nerf? Hilarious.

16 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Jep, and it’s their decision to change one of the mechanics to their liking, it’s where you signed up for. But maybe we will see you back later with the flying ships. 

True, it is their decision. My issue is with where they based that decision, i.e. the over-seasoned portion of the community whose sole purpose in the forums is to complain about the game. Players who are having fun and not having issues don't visit these forums, so they end up saturated with more negative feedback than positive, leading the devs to make ill-informed decisions.

That's the issue I have right now. This wasn't needed and only happened because of some salty players who don't understand the mechanics of the gliders. If you really think that being able to glide around the map or halfway through to the next one is an unfair advantage or exploit, I imagine you're going to have some issues with a dragon flying around burning everything to the ground.

Just now, LiLBiTs said:

True, it is their decision. My issue is with where they based that decision, i.e. the over-seasoned portion of the community whose sole purpose in the forums is to complain about the game. Players who are having fun and not having issues don't visit these forums, so they end up saturated with more negative feedback than positive, leading the devs to make ill-informed decisions.

That's the issue I have right now. This wasn't needed and only happened because of some salty players who don't understand the mechanics of the gliders. If you really think that being able to glide around the map or halfway through to the next one is an unfair advantage or exploit, I imagine you're going to have some issues with a dragon flying around burning everything to the ground.

Oh definitely true. This game is also being destroyed by it’s own community. I sat here and watched it over at ARK and I’m doing the same here again. For now I’m still on official waiting before we get wiped (if we ever going to get wiped) to move over to unofficial and have my own rules. 

8 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

Personally I think the glider is a dumb carry over from ark whatever lore reason you wrap around it. It doesn't belong, end of.

As for moaning about the nerf? Hilarious.

almost as hilarious as the need to reply to a post to say how hilarious voicing an opinion and giving some honest feedback about a change then calling it moaning 🙂

1 minute ago, LiLBiTs said:

almost as hilarious as the need to reply to a post to say how hilarious voicing an opinion and giving some honest feedback about a change then calling it moaning 🙂

You have a funny sense of humour, and by funny I mean dumb.

Your presumption that you know better the intent of the designers and that hotbar slot switching is somehow an intended mechanic is one of the most ridiculous and downright delusional things I've heard in awhile. I seriously do not have enough palms or face.

Jesus wept.

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that the game should be FUN!! 

What I took away from this post is that one of the joyful moments of this experience was crippled, and that does have a broader affect -- I've seen evidence in the game industry of developers making foolish choices based on vocal minorities. Unfortunately in this case we can never know the internal debate that lead to this change, or extrapolate the developers intent. Regardless...

I did try the gliders for fun, (as did the rest of my company) and the glider's already tough to control --  much less to master. Their potential as a major threat to game balance is really low (even if you could cross oceans) -- It's a solo act, with limited offensive capabilities. honestly You could do more damage with a raft - the trade off is carry weight and time. But the act of flying with a glider is REALLY FUN! <-- ultimately we rarely use ours.

It's cool to see so many people passionate about this game's potential and its promise to fulfill our Age of Sail pirate fantasies. It serves us better to focus that passion towards the Devs, than on each other. @LiLBiTs I'm glad you posted -- There is a metric in the industry called the "MTS" (Mean Time to Smile) used to measure engagement. When you are in the trenches on a project of this scope it's easy to loose sight of that. It never hurts to remind developers that the reason we play their games is because they are (first and foremost) FUN!

Edited by Argh!
fix punctuation
  • Like 1

I for one never even knew there was a bug/exploit with gliders. To me they are useful tool when exploring, scouting or trying to get back to the ship from dangerous locations. I didn't use them all the time because they slowed you down to hell walking with them. So now they are nerfed? Thanks devs for taking more fun things out of the game instead of fixing the actual bugs. 

5 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

Your presumption that you know better the intent of the designers and that hotbar slot switching is somehow an intended mechanic is one of the most ridiculous and downright delusional things I've heard in awhile. I seriously do not have enough palms or face.

Um, where did I say anything about hotbar slot switching? This post is about the nerf to gaining altitude. This was achieved by using the actual key binds the devs put in the game, i.e., the skill that I've been referring to this whole post that scrublets like you couldn't mange to figure out and instead decided it shouldn't exist.

Here, I'll explain it in detail for you in great detail so as not to confuse you anymore than you already are:

W is/was bound to increase altitude while holding shift and looking up. Now it just goes up and then straight down, reducing altitude each time, making the function useless

S is bound to decrease altitude while holding shift and looking down.

How is removing vertical gain the best means of stopping the cooldown exploit? Here's a clue... IT'S NOT. They were too lazy to dig into the code and adjust it to always require the cooldown. Instead of dealing with the constant complaints, most likely from the SAME players, over and over, they just decided to remove the ability completely. 

11 minutes ago, LiLBiTs said:

Um, where did I say anything about hotbar slot switching? This post is about the nerf to gaining altitude. This was achieved by using the actual key binds the devs put in the game, i.e., the skill that I've been referring to this whole post that scrublets like you couldn't mange to figure out and instead decided it shouldn't exist.

Here, I'll explain it in detail for you in great detail so as not to confuse you anymore than you already are:

W is/was bound to increase altitude while holding shift and looking up. Now it just goes up and then straight down, reducing altitude each time, making the function useless

S is bound to decrease altitude while holding shift and looking down.

How is removing vertical gain the best means of stopping the cooldown exploit? Here's a clue... IT'S NOT. They were too lazy to dig into the code and adjust it to always require the cooldown. Instead of dealing with the constant complaints, most likely from the SAME players, over and over, they just decided to remove the ability completely. 

Well I am sorry you feel your fun is spoilt.

Personally I don't like the things full stop and am happy to see the use of them curtailed. I'd actually rather they were gone full stop, but I'm not going to make a thread about it.

I think you are making a presumption again not born out by the current facts of

- Fixed a bug allowing players to reset all glider cooldowns by moving the glider between hotbar slots
- Increased the required minimum diving velocity before going into the glide-fall state to reduce gaining/maintaining height

Two seperate adjustments, you sure I'm the one that needs a clue there? As you were offering them out.

How is unlimited flight not bad? After we mastered the glider it was a….this needs a massive nerf moment.

39 minutes ago, Not Happy said:

Your presumption that you know better the intent of the designers and that hotbar slot switching is somehow an intended mechanic is one of the most ridiculous and downright delusional things I've heard in awhile

You presumed I was referring to the hotbar exploit in my original post when I never mentioned anything of the sort, and then chose to call me delusional? Indeed.. Full. Stop..

I understand you don't like the gliders, full stop, but this post wasn't intended to debate that. It's an honest opinion from one of the game's players that I would hope a dev would appreciate and take as constructive criticism. If my game's player base was on the decline, I would want to have an idea as to why. And thus, this post was born. And thus, your snarky ass found it and decided it was worth shitting on.

The reason I "assume to know better" the intent of the designers is based on seeing the community bitch and moan about the gliders from the beginning so much that they slowly started adjusting them. So slowly that they still allowed for vertical climb for quite a while, as it's not a ridiculous notion to have on a glider, except to those who can't or chose not to use them of course. 

People found an exploit to fly permanently. Yep, thats the last straw.... How dare they nerf infinite flight exploits.

Edited by Writhes
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shintai said:

How is unlimited flight not bad? After we mastered the glider it was a….this needs a massive nerf moment.

It's not unlimited flight when the glider breaks from using it. This misconception that player using gliders are jet fighters sent in to obliterate entire bases and harbors is ridiculous. If someone had the skills to accomplish this, then they're fucking gods. The nerfs + lag made this feat anything but possible. People just assumed that it's an OP skill because they've never been able to do it, therefore they never understood how ridiculous of a notion it is to call it unlimited flight. The gliders are unforgiving as hell. One miscalculated key click and you're screwed.