DannyUK

Server wipe

A wipe would not be a wise thing to do at this stage of the PvE side of the game. 

1. Wiping would cause established players to leave in droves. None likes to have their hard work gone in an instant and have to start over. 
2. Most land would be taken again in a week or 2. So this would not solve the issue of land.
3. Until the claim flag system is corrected and balanced correctly, this will be an issue and hot topic of discussion. 

Also, about the issue of adding gold costs to claim flags is a bit much. If you look at the big picture, the devs put this in place with having it a competition with land in the 1st place. Taxation, laws and land governance(coming soon), Claim Flags, and a page on the web site dedicated to the top ten land holders of each server. So adding a gold cost to each flag would be counter intuitive to the vision that GrapeShot has for the game as a whole. It would severely curtail the size of the top ten and limit the growth of companies so they can challenge these top guilds.  It would be received the same way as a wipe to be honest. In a very bad light. 

But instead of a countdown timer that is based on how many flags you have is also not a good system that just turns the game into "Capture the Flag" for the larger companies that have tax banks and land for harvesting, we can have a decay based system where it is fair and balanced. 

1. All flags of the company have a repair cost to them.
2. They decay over time. Lets say 2 weeks. After that, the flag breaks and the land becomes open to claim by anyone.
3. The company must have the resources in a resource box or in a players inventory for the flags to be repaired. 
4. Players can use a repair hammer to repair the flags, or press "E" and use the redial menu. 
5. NPCs can be set to keep all flags that are touching/overlapping in a cell repaired. 
6. Sea flags will not have a decay, but have a placement cost. And can be challenged within 3 days. 
7. Sea claims that touch/overlap a land claim will be considered a land claim and have decay. But at a slightly faster rate. 
8. The cost of repairing flags will go up as the amount of flags touching/overlapping increases past 10 flags. 
9. Single/Isolated Flags without company builds and/or not set to everyone building will be decayed at a faster rate. 
10. If a flag has a company build, company ships, or company owned tames on it, it will decay at a 50% slower rate. IE 4 weeks. 
11. Builds, Boats, NPC's and Tames of the owning company will decay at the same rate as the flag they are in and can be claimed by other companies after the timer runs out. 
12. Boats, NPC's, and Tames that are abandoned or left in another companies flag area will have a 5 day decay timer and will become the property of the flag owner or if they are not in a flag area they will will be claimable by anyone when the timer runs out. 
13. Boats, Building, Tames, and NPC's that are not claimed or in a flag area for 3 days will auto destroy. 
14. Players that are not a part of a company get one free land claim and 1 sea claim. All the above rules will apply. 

15. When a player from the owning company spawns into a claim flags area of coverage, then all flag timers that are touching/overlapping that flags area of effect will be reset.

16. A member of the owning company must visit the flag to reset the claim timer. 

Edited by ArchieVision

10 hours ago, ArchieVision said:

A wipe would not be a wise thing to do at this stage of the PvE side of the game. 

1. Wiping would cause established players to leave in droves. None likes to have their hard work gone in an instant and have to start over. 
2. Most land would be taken again in a week or 2. So this would not solve the issue of land.
3. Until the claim flag system is corrected and balanced correctly, this will be an issue and hot topic of discussion. 

Also, about the issue of adding gold costs to claim flags is a bit much. If you look at the big picture, the devs put this in place with having it a competition with land in the 1st place. Taxation, laws and land governance(coming soon), Claim Flags, and a page on the web site dedicated to the top ten land holders of each server. So adding a gold cost to each flag would be counter intuitive to the vision that GrapeShot has for the game as a whole. It would severely curtail the size of the top ten and limit the growth of companies so they can challenge these top guilds.  It would be received the same way as a wipe to be honest. In a very bad light. 

But instead of a countdown timer that is based on how many flags you have is also not a good system that just turns the game into "Capture the Flag" for the larger companies that have tax banks and land for harvesting, we can have a decay based system where it is fair and balanced. 

2. They decay over time. Lets say 2 weeks. After that, the flag breaks and the land becomes open to claim by anyone.
3. The company must have the resources in a resource box or in a players inventory for the flags to be repaired. 
4. Players can use a repair hammer to repair the flags, or press "E" and use the redial menu. 
5. NPCs can be set to keep all flags that are touching/overlapping in a cell repaired. 
6. Sea flags will not have a decay, but have a placement cost. And can be challenged within 3 days. 
7. Sea claims that touch/overlap a land claim will be considered a land claim and have decay. But at a slightly faster rate. 
8. The cost of repairing flags will go up as the amount of flags touching/overlapping increases past 10 flags. 
9. Single/Isolated Flags without company builds and/or not set to everyone building will be decayed at a faster rate. 
10. If a flag has a company build, company ships, or company owned tames on it, it will decay at a 50% slower rate. IE 4 weeks. 
11. Builds, Boats, NPC's and Tames of the owning company will decay at the same rate as the flag they are in and can be claimed by other companies after the timer runs out. 
12. Boats, NPC's, and Tames that are abandoned or left in another companies flag area will have a 5 day decay timer and will become the property of the flag owner or if they are not in a flag area they will will be claimable by anyone when the timer runs out. 
13. Boats, Building, Tames, and NPC's that are not claimed or in a flag area for 3 days will auto destroy. 
14. Players that are not a part of a company get one free land claim and 1 sea claim. All the above rules will apply. 

15. When a player from the owning company spawns into a claim flags area of coverage, then all flag timers that are touching/overlapping that flags area of effect will be reset.

16. A member of the owning company must visit the flag to reset the claim timer. 

Basically what you just said is the same as gold option. The problem is with number of flags someone is holding.

I know a two guys who are holding over 50 flags in large cluster, none of the flags are free to build the server is basicaly almost empty most of the time. Oh and they don't build anything on that server they only have fundations with beds. 

You have to know that gold has soo little value in current state (i know that base galeon crew costs 1000g/day). + Flags don't have any physical form and they are just an abstract construct. When you place them you don't need any materials so any other resources than gold makes no sense.

I understand that for some people acquireing gold might be a bit harder, but there are other ways. Trading, renting land, floodslam,... 

Playing like 300 hrs, the first 100 hrs sailing from one place to other and living in my raft and sloop in the middle of the sea or in freeports or near to the beach in some lawless zones, moving from servers, trying to find a place, looking all the islands in like 12 servers, dying many times, finally found a nice place in a nice island (has clean water, sap, metal, minimal wild animals) , removed the base that some inactive player left, build my base and stablished for a while, sail to other island (with different resources) in lawless zone, again, found a nice available place and build another base....so...HELL NO! NO Wipe! at least until this game finish is EA state.

The problem is that all place are claimed? OK, take your time and found a nice place in some lawless zone or try to catch a claimed land.

WIPE is NOT the solution.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ArchieVision said:

3 hours ago, IcyAxe said:

Basically what you just said is the same as gold option. The problem is with number of flags someone is holding.

I know a two guys who are holding over 50 flags in large cluster, none of the flags are free to build the server is basicaly almost empty most of the time. Oh and they don't build anything on that server they only have fundations with beds. 

You have to know that gold has soo little value in current state (i know that base galeon crew costs 1000g/day). + Flags don't have any physical form and they are just an abstract construct. When you place them you don't need any materials so any other resources than gold makes no sense.

I understand that for some people acquireing gold might be a bit harder, but there are other ways. Trading, renting land, floodslam,... 

If you are thinking basically, then you would come to that conclusion. This is not a simple easy fix that you can just attach gold to to correct it. The flag system is flawed in countless ways and will take a total revamp to get the balance right, and to stay in Grapeshots vision.  Just plopping a gold requirement on the existing system will only make things worse for new players.

Existing companies and players already have a gold hoard and know how to get a lot of gold fast. A medium company can get upwards of 40k gold in a few hours. We have done it. Get several Masterwork and Journeyman maps with 10+ players and there you go.  For just myself, I have over 10k gold sitting in my bank from taxes, that is not including the 25k that is in the resource box. With this, even if they did a flag wipe, the existing top companies would keep their claims easily. There might be a little shuffling of flag locations but the flags would just go back up fast, especially with companies that have 100 +active players. 

But, new players do not have the resources or know how to easily beat these treasure maps to farm them fast. And float-some is not a viable option for large amounts of gold.  This would make it even harder for new players to get and keep land. 

That is why the option I posted above is a real solution. it takes all the above into account, turns flags into collision based models, and removes them and the items on the property if too much time has transpired. 

And lastly, it doesn't matter what someone owns, how much land they own, or how they use it. That is THEIR land, not yours. They might want to leave that land open for a rare resource that grows there, or tax it when other players come there because the island the other players live on has been so built up that nothing spawns there any longer.  And lastly, if they did open it up, then the newbies would build anywhere and even on top of rare resources and break those spawns too. I know this well, we have had that happen to our land, so we only share land that is not near resources that are either rare or needed in abundance. 

Final thought. Atlas might be based on Ark and play like it in some ways, but it is not Ark. This game is not just a simple sandbox survival game with land grabbing, boats, and bosses. It is a full MMO with survival aspects, a competitive leader board system, trading stalls(Coming in February) and a full city and society builder in place for large companies. This is already in future plans for the game or already implemented.  Having a full island and then building a city with laws, rental apartments, rental ship yards and such is not a far fetched idea here. It sucks that the current game is not there yet, but we know most of that is coming.  And that post i made above takes all of this into account. Just slapping a gold requirement on a flag does not. 

• Like 1

Too much stuff to implement still and fix for a server whipe. I’m all for server whipes when used in the right manner. Now is not the time yet.

Funny thing is that most of the people think in categories of their experience limited usually to their own grid. We all agree the system is flawed. There are a lot of servers with zero population and fully claimed land. I completely understand the feelings of a new player when he arrives to such grid only to find it full of unused land.  But there are grids with medium sized comapnies that are active, there is a trade and the only unused land is reserved for resource re-spawn. Introducing upkeep in gold would penalize solo-duo players that have hard time doing better maps but are very active in the community. 

With all the flaws just after launch this was an amazing game in terms of community. People would come for a chat and new arrivals could be greeted with bunch of resources for a good start. Trading was much more common and in general experience was more rewarding for me. I don't know how but I would like these days to come back 😉 On the economy level, artificial taxes like claim flag tax are not a good solution. It should be up to the players to run the game economy. Incentive to run cities. I would much prefer for example claim auction system or permanent rental contracts that if the company fails to pay could be evicted by the owner. Or even a complete redesign of claim mechanics where there's a single claim flag per company per grid that would start small but could be upgraded with rare resources (and additional upkeep costs) to grow. Or even kind of alliance coop flags. Automated trade routes.

But in the end I know they need to experiment heavily and learn on their mistakes. If they fail to do this people will soon abandon this game and there'll be plenty of free land 😉

3 hours ago, ArchieVision said:

They might want to leave that land open for a rare resource that grows there, or tax it when other players come there because the island the other players live on has been so built up that nothing spawns there any longer.

Player vs Environment means Taxing Other Players on your Environment. 

Just wanted to make things clear that this is a Player vs Player scenario.  Anything PvE related should be... the Environment. 

Ships of the Damned.  Maps.  Animals.  Environmental items. 

Other players.  Non environmental Items.  

They have a grand vision for PvP and I guess it works.  Not sure how.  I logged on PvP and the first Island I past (outside the freeport) shot cannons from a Tower at my raft.  Most likely by NPC's.  So the PvP Potion of the game is...PvE.

THE GAME IS GIANT HYPOCRITICAL MESS.

"Wipe the Server" is the mating call of someone who has nothing substantial to lose or is bored.

28 minutes ago, ptonfm said:

Player vs Environment means Taxing Other Players on your Environment. 

Just wanted to make things clear that this is a Player vs Player scenario.  Anything PvE related should be... the Environment. 

Ships of the Damned.  Maps.  Animals.  Environmental items. 

Other players.  Non environmental Items.  

They have a grand vision for PvP and I guess it works.  Not sure how.  I logged on PvP and the first Island I past (outside the freeport) shot cannons from a Tower at my raft.  Most likely by NPC's.  So the PvP Potion of the game is...PvE.

THE GAME IS GIANT HYPOCRITICAL MESS.

That's not accurate.  PvE doesn't mean "no competition".  It means players can't attack other players in combat.
You're not playing in your own private sandbox (unless you setup your own private sandbox on a private server).

Competition is VERY good and exciting... I think you want to play single player or private server with your friends and not have any competition.

Edited by SilkBD
  • Like 1

The Environment is the competition.  Not other players.  Player vs ENVIRONMENT.  

Yes, other players can EXIST IN THE ENVIRONMENT.  I shouldn't have to FIGHT THEM for resources / land / taxes.

That would be Player vs Player. 

If I log on to WoW MMO.  When I play PvE It's vs the Environment.  I'm with other players, fighting the environmental creatures. 

If I want to PvP, it's in the battlegrounds / arena.  PvPvE?  If you want to race another guild through a dungeon...

If I log onto Atlas MMO, when I PvE, it's vs Other players. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ptonfm said:

Yes, other players can EXIST IN THE ENVIRONMENT.  I shouldn't have to FIGHT THEM for resources / land / taxes.

If I log on to WoW MMO.  When I play PvE It's vs the Environment.  I'm with other players, fighting the environmental creatures. 

If I want to PvP, it's in the battlegrounds / arena.  PvPvE?  If you want to race another guild through a dungeon...

All MMO’s are competitive unless you’re playing Maple Story. 

Players compete for world first, largest company, resources etc.  

I’ve played wow since day one. I can tell you even the PvE side is competitive. Go to mine that node and someone gets there first. You just competed for resources.

Your group goes after a world boss and another group gets there first. You just competed with players for that world boss. 

Without player competition. Why even play an mmo? Play a co-op or single player.

in Atlas. You go to claim land and someone else claims it first. You just competed with a player for land. 

Companies need incentive to open land to other players and those players need incentive to build there. We open land for building and a few come due to lawless pillar spam and griefing. Not much other incentive to come. 

Edited by Gaxon

Besides, what is the point to play a MMO in singleplayer mode?

I like how is the PvE in Atlas, i'm not a hardcore player and don't have a lot of free time to play in PvP, so, i play in PvE trying to survive to the environment and trying to make some friends or allies to share resources or help each other.

People that are asking for a singleplayer mode in this game are confused about what kind of game is Atlas. Isn't a game for you, people. Get over!

Everyone seems to be losing focus, this is about server wipe not what is and isn't good. Or how people should play the game.

That said I'm all for a wipe but not until certain things are addressed. As of right now it's absoutly pointless to wipe something that is completely broke. Over 500 hour but if a wipe is needed to reintroduce a new system I have no issue as long as the game moves forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ptonfm said:

you want to have the land in the place you want, not have to pay taxes. pay a private server, take a month to find land, move your ass and stop crying

comparing the wow with the atlas is like comparing water and oil, both are liquid and little more to say

• Like 1

server does need a wipe. 

This is early access and not fully out..  if people leave then they don't quite understand what early access or betas are about. 

Some good points in there but remember it has to be balanced for perhaps solo companies, and resources to repair isn't a good idea. It's easy to get.

Compared to archage where they thought increasing labour tickets would prevent one person owning all the land.... It didn't and with freedom people are just greedy. 

Personally the more flags you own SHOULD mean the more land taxes your company or person owns than the more you lose from loot, harvesting etc from where ever you loot or harvest from. Up to 100% so if your a land hogger than your maintenance will cost you everything.  

To Balance this out you can rent pieces of land out. The owner sets the boundaries of said amount and with a pre determined figure. So 10x20 piece of land will earn you say 10% off which brings your tax to 90%. 

The tax figure for land would be as stated a pre done figure by devs so to avoid greed of say 5x5 netting all the land tax. 

This would encourage land owners to seek out non land owners so that they could lower there tax to 30% which pays for the upkeep.

Land ownership can also not go above 100% so reach 100% renting 50 % means you cannot go and get more land.  You have you land. 

Atlas problem is that it's a jack of all trades and master of none. To many PvP elements in pve side of things. 

Before continuing they should consider fixing broken things before adding more to need fixing. 

Eg ping is still crazy high for EU located server's. Have quicker decay to get rid of unwanted or unused traps . Combat foundation spam to stop land grabs on lawless land (the same tax system can apply to unclaimed land but the lowest tax maintenance is 45% 

Have a system similar to conan exciles where one foundation is gone in few hours and too make it stay ends up having to be a 6x6 with door and roof for it to be recognised 

Edited by Swift76

4 hours ago, Swift76 said:

server does need a wipe. 

This is early access and not fully out..  if people leave then they don't quite understand what early access or betas are about. 

Some good points in there but remember it has to be balanced for perhaps solo companies, and resources to repair isn't a good idea. It's easy to get.

Compared to archage where they thought increasing labour tickets would prevent one person owning all the land.... It didn't and with freedom people are just greedy. 

Personally the more flags you own SHOULD mean the more land taxes your company or person owns than the more you lose from loot, harvesting etc from where ever you loot or harvest from. Up to 100% so if your a land hogger than your maintenance will cost you everything.  

To Balance this out you can rent pieces of land out. The owner sets the boundaries of said amount and with a pre determined figure. So 10x20 piece of land will earn you say 10% off which brings your tax to 90%. 

The tax figure for land would be as stated a pre done figure by devs so to avoid greed of say 5x5 netting all the land tax. 

This would encourage land owners to seek out non land owners so that they could lower there tax to 30% which pays for the upkeep.

Land ownership can also not go above 100% so reach 100% renting 50 % means you cannot go and get more land.  You have you land. 

Atlas problem is that it's a jack of all trades and master of none. To many PvP elements in pve side of things. 

Before continuing they should consider fixing broken things before adding more to need fixing. 

Eg ping is still crazy high for EU located server's. Have quicker decay to get rid of unwanted or unused traps . Combat foundation spam to stop land grabs on lawless land (the same tax system can apply to unclaimed land but the lowest tax maintenance is 45% 

Have a system similar to conan exciles where one foundation is gone in few hours and too make it stay ends up having to be a 6x6 with door and roof for it to be recognised 

This is not balanced at all. It is geared toward small companies only and has a narrow vision that does not fit GrapeShots vision.  

1. Limiting the amount of land you can own goes against the leader boards and the reason to have a tax bank. 
2. Companies should have control over their own taxes this is there to give competition to the companies to bring in renter or tax payers more than the others. 

3. There should not be a limit or ongoing tax to own land. This does not in any way address the current issue and still stay within the vision of the creators. 

Your comments are laced with vitriol and anger. it seems as though you do not like the way others play a sandbox mmo and play within the rules and mechanics given to them.  Everyone has a different play style and no one is ever exactly the same. This is NOT a Single Player game, it is a Sandbox MMO with land control features and a governance mechanic coming soon.  You have to 1st understand the type of game this is before making suggestions. Or you end up not making sense and looking foolish.  

Edited by ArchieVision

On 2/5/2019 at 6:05 AM, Vaenix said:

Sounds like this is more of a "I didn't get land and want it" based off the last part of "fair game to start off".  Launch sucked but everyone had roughly the same experience. 

Want a fresh start? Go to an unofficial. 

Wiping right before a major content patch would be extremely foolish and would just mean they wouldn't get to test what they are about to throw at us for another month or two.  

Who expects land in a base building game? Go build your base in space ya nerds.

• Like 1

YES ! WE NEED A SERVER WIPE, AFTER YU DEVS POLISH THE CLAIM SYSTEM AND SOLVE THE FOUNDATIONS PROBLEM!

DEVS, if u cant solve this problems just copy the Conan Exiles system, 1 single foundations decay time 30 minutes, 2 foundations 40 minutes etc, in conan exiles no one can build tons of foundations to block a specific area 

CLAIM FLAG, 1 FLAG PER EVERY SINGLE PLAYER, OR  5 FOR FLAGS FOR  COMPANY, is enough for a decent play on PVE servers, pvp serves can fix the problem easy !

The one or other server wipe before release, is needed, but this is will be an MMORPG.

It´s not a "smaller game" on a single server like Ark or Conan Exiles.

It´s like wiping Black Desert Online or Guild Wars2.

The Devs should do something against foundation spamming and all that stuff.

I think, it will be is necessary to develop all the planned ingame mechanics first, before a wipe hits the servers.

If you wipe the servers, especially the PvE ones (not much to do except for building, really) you will just lose large parts of the rest of the shrinking playerbase. See ARK. Not to mention that it wouldnt make any sense now before they at least sorted the biggest flaws (and exploits) around.

I would be fine with a wipe once bugs and other things are fixed. This is EA, they're going to do something for the launch to allow a level playing field, either wipe or make current servers legacy, if people honestly think they will launch with the current servers, you're kidding yourself.

Would be utter suicide to have fresh players/streamers/media to enter the current servers where land has been taken via exploits and other dubious means, with many areas being over crowded and almost near unplayable due to lag (lawless)

• Like 1

if you have nothing to lose of course you want a wipe... ea yea probably leave ea in what 2 year?

if they fix the flag issue almost everything solved, and foundation spread are the claim system of lawless, just like ark, yea ark since its a copy past+mod (dont say its not, it is, just look at the elephant with unintented weigth reduction... mammouth?) and if you want to complain about foundation say that to the dev who allow ppl to build at 2 foundation of other companie.... and what about trap every 2m? even if they reduct the timer ppl will just build connected structure...

you acutally complain about some tribe getting 1/4 of an island with foundation, but 3 tribe sharing 1/4 of the world is fine? Oo

On 2/9/2019 at 12:18 PM, ArchieVision said:

This does not in any way address the current issue and still stay within the vision of the creators. 

Even God Server Wiped the Earth with a Great Flood to keep people from straying too far from their creator. 

So they say...

I don't care how much land someone owns or their version of the game.

It's the most boring leader board of all time.   OF ALL TIME.

ALL YOU DO IS LAND GRAB.  PvENVIRONMENT!  So exciting!  Hey guys ready to do some land grabbing today?!  YEAH!

Well I for 1 am pleased with a wipe, knew it was coming and won't be the only 1.

People have to realise making changes like this requires a wipe otherwise its not fair on everyone.

People didn't expect to keep everything long term did they? With 2 new islands per grid it might bring people back, we will see.

I'm still concerned for spamming foundations, i just hope they thought about this.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:05 PM, ArchieVision said:

1. Wiping would cause established players to leave in droves.

Yup. They wipe the server, we move to one of the many games of this type coming out. Way too much time and effort in to start over.