DannyUK

Server wipe

They've had time to test out alot of things so far and now everywhere is packed with structures and ships so I would not mind a server wipe. Yes alot of people have built structures and ships including myself but that's part of the game, a server wipe would be welcome in my eyes.

I know you're always going to get the kids crying they've lost everything but it's early access, we should know this. I don't mind building everything up again, it will be faster the next time as we all know how to play and what skills we need etc. In game needs clearing up anyway, to many ships abandoned and buildings, let new players coming to the game have a fair game to start off.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not interested in a server wipe, i've played EU PvE solo since day one, if it got wiped i'll be ending my experience at that point.

It's difficult to tell for a company how much a wipe or no wipe would impact the overall playerbase tbh.

• Like 4

Why do some people think early access automatically means server wipes?  Unless stated up front, EA is still part of live service and persistence is assumed.  It's one of the big differences between calling it an Alpha.  Sometimes you get early access to the Alpha, but atlas was not done in that manner. 

• Like 1

Its too early for a wipe anyway. And since its an MMO type of game they actually might never do one.

They can just adjust decay rates, the claim system etc..

I'm not part of a large company either although we do have alot of buildings and 4 ships right now (2 of us) I wouldn't mind the server wipe, it would solved alot of issues for the new players and players unable to get claim flags.

When the game was first released you just spammed the flags all over the island then all of a sudden they changed the rules to let the people who spammed those flags to give a piece of land to others for tax which they will most likely take the land back at some stage anyway. This is not fair to everyone, letting those spamming players keep their flags when they change the rules.

There has to be a server wipe at some stage and I wouldn't mind really if it happened.

• Like 1

Devs, Do Not Wipe the Servers. That is too much like a drug, once they start it'll be frequent

Edited by Indywoodtiger

53 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

They've had time to test out alot of things so far and now everywhere is packed with structures and ships so I would not mind a server wipe. Yes alot of people have built structures and ships including myself but that's part of the game, a server wipe would be welcome in my eyes.

I know you're always going to get the kids crying they've lost everything but it's early access, we should know this. I don't mind building everything up again, it will be faster the next time as we all know how to play and what skills we need etc. In game needs clearing up anyway, to many ships abandoned and buildings, let new players coming to the game have a fair game to start off.

Game still is in beta stage. Still a lot changes are going to be 😉 I don’t see a point to wipe

Edited by Robotukas
  • Like 1

Since its a MMO Type of game like someone said before, there should be no wipes anyways.

The devs are trying to find solutions to clean up unused stuff like killing sleepers some patches ago, removing ships the latest patch and balancing the claim system.

So a real wipe would not be necessary in ages cause everything cleans itself.

• Like 3

We don't need a server whip to fix islands looking like New York City. That would just piss off the active player base. Start simple with a hard delete of all objects in world belonging to anyone that has not logged in in the last 30 days. Over time that will start clearing structures out.

• Like 2

I get what you're saying but a server wipe would solve nothing. New structures would be built again (a lot slower since most people would end up quitting after losing everything) and the same issues would commence.

PvE, unlike PvP has a serious issue with the fact that things won't be destroyed frequently, and this is simply a mechanic they need to figure out from a programmatic side. Wipes are not the answer.

Claims also need to be seriously looked at as well.

Claims only need login upkeep and this is a big issue. I can log in just to teleport bed to bed and keep my land for ~3 weeks for 5 minutes of effort? There needs to be some kind of upkeep/gold requirement to keep such things or it's going to get extremely overloaded. That's my thoughts anyways..

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 7:46 AM, DannyUK said:

Sounds like this is more of a "I didn't get land and want it" based off the last part of "fair game to start off".  Launch sucked but everyone had roughly the same experience. 

Want a fresh start? Go to an unofficial. 

Wiping right before a major content patch would be extremely foolish and would just mean they wouldn't get to test what they are about to throw at us for another month or two.  

• Like 2

I don’t think a server wipe is the way to fix current issues, those of us who are limited on the available time they can and can’t get in game would suffer as those who have unlimited access would again take all the land anyway. There are better solutions to fix the current issues 

• Like 1

i love these threads. people refuse to go look for land and automatically think it should just be given to them. As i am typing this i have found two large islands that have no claims on them. I also found last night an island with claims ready to be taken. Its a game that requires you to put effort and time into. go sail and look for land. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redfisher said:

i love these threads. people refuse to go look for land and automatically think it should just be given to them. As i am typing this i have found two large islands that have no claims on them. I also found last night an island with claims ready to be taken. Its a game that requires you to put effort and time into. go sail and look for land. 

I don't want land nor do I want it given to me. I am very happy playing on lawless. If you have found land that is good for you, I have no intention of going out looking, I'm quite happy where I am.

For the new players though it won't be so easy, why should the people keep their flags from the beginning when they moved the goal posts and changed the rules? That is not fair to every player, only the Twitch streamers and such. I do put effort in and sail but I don't intend looking for land at the moment until the current system is fixed.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DannyUK said:

I don't want land nor do I want it given to me. I am very happy playing on lawless. If you have found land that is good for you, I have no intention of going out looking, I'm quite happy where I am.

For the new players though it won't be so easy, why should the people keep their flags from the beginning when they moved the goal posts and changed the rules? That is not fair to every player, only the Twitch streamers and such. I do put effort in and sail but I don't intend looking for land at the moment until the current system is fixed.

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this.

1st. There IS land if you search enough. Exploring is one of the main parts of the game.

2nd. There are many ppl kind enough to give you land. Just talk to them. I know.. i Know.. There are many d***s around but still there are good people in this game. But yeah.. talking is such a hard thingie 😛

3rd. Okey.. New players this.. New players that.. But It's an MMO so you also need to think about keeping the old players around. (just like FoY stat bonus). I understand the need to help new people.. But for flying dolphins sake, not by taking from other ppl. It won't help if you give something to someone by pissing off the rest. I'm sorry sir. But if you play on lawless.. than you don't know how much effort it took to HOLD your claims during all those changes.

On the other side...

The land grab.. Simply some ppl went sooooo overboard and took soooooooooo much! Whole Island for 1 company? Maybe on PVP! 50 flags? FFS I remember one of threads here. "I HAVE FEW FLAGS! 4 days DECAY KILL THIS GAME FOR ME!" After few posts the guy told that his "few" ment over 50 flags. Holy shite... this is the core of the problem. I also walked around my Island yesterday (The biggest Island type we have). Soooo many space claimed... just to be claimed.. Nothing built, but some ppl would make a good living if those land were unclaimed or something. AND we arrive at another part. Everybody and their grandma wants Coast flags for ship building. I do not blame them, ships are a core of this game. But it even more limits the land avaible to ppl.

If we won't fix the claim system 1st. After wipe there's gonna be another land grab and it won't help anything lad.

Now to clarify stuff. I play since day 1. Only manage to sail away on day 2 thanks to Lagmaggedon. Made it to B7 EU PVE. Claimed 1 flag on small island (I could take.. dunno half of it?) and then moved to Birmingcona Haven. At first another company stole my claim. I quickly found another, even better on same island. I changed a first inhabitale cliffside into a dock and a wonderful base. I also would like to thank our small community. Mainly German players and some French. Also we got a lil'bit of asian spice here. But our ppl are kind and wound surely give away some land to other ppl. Heck I saw this happen many, many times! As for me.. I have 2 land and 1 sea flags that makes me content. One day I'll start exploring hard for discovery points and I know that I'll find some land far away.

Erm.. yeah. But long story short, we 1st need to fix the claim system before thinking about a wipe 🙂 Good day

I will say am mixed feelings about it.  Frankly given just how early access this game really is I and everyone in my company has expected to see wipes at some point.  Especially because of the land issues.  So we don't mind if there is.  It would be nice to be made aware of it ahead of time if there ever is one.

I do agree we still need some fixes to the claim system beforehand as there still is a lot of room for improvement.  The last few patches has been some good steps though.  As mentioned above it does seem odd that large company seem too massive 

After few posts the guy told that his "few" ment over 50 flags. Holy shite... this is the core of the problem.

I also agree that seems a bit much.  I will say I was very much looking forward to seeing the dynamic timer last patch actually be more umm dynamic.  Our company has 2 land claims  (5 flags across 2 servers ).  Where the one in the B row is we were very much looking forward to expanding as its barely a rock on the shore that noone wanted.  Before the dynamic patch nearly every nearby claim around us was about to be up for taking within 6-10 hrs.  Then the patch happened and they all went up to 19 days even though noone is there or been there.  Several of those companies even have 20+ land claims according to the flag data which seemed not very dynamic when our 5 flags only  got us 20 days of timer when the patch hit.     As a result our company usually has to do most our business of ship building/trading/etc in lawless zones since so many claimable islands (at least where we sail) are so empty of people.   Yet lawless beaches are covered in shipyards and players we can do business with because the claim system is still a mess.

I myself would like to see some real kind of upkeep cost to keep claims going.  Perhaps even something as simple like buying claim flags from a freeport after a basic number of starter flags.

• Like 2

It's too early for a wipe. They need to redesign core mechanics especially claims. Maps should be larger and more diverse. What we have here is a land shortage. If they would limit players to 2 flags we would soon have resources problem and islands would be packed again. Maybe bigger islands + resource intensive claims flag upkeep (like Rust cupboard) ? Penalty in upkeep with every next claim? Most people here want "faster horses" when we could have couple radical changes that would greatly improve this game. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

We don't need a server whip to fix islands looking like New York City. That would just piss off the active player base. Start simple with a hard delete of all objects in world belonging to anyone that has not logged in in the last 30 days. Over time that will start clearing structures out.

this we need auto building decay now , same as flag timers 3 weeks building disappears automatically , the more the system auto cleans things up the better , this should also apply to flags , once timer is up should just demolish freeing up the land for the next person ,

noone should have to go around checking timers unless of course there is land u really need , 

• Like 1

The purpose of a wipe in EA is for when the Devs break something so severely that it is not possible to rectify with a rollback. Or, when the Devs fix something that was so awfully ill-conceived that it broke the game to a point some have a massive unfair advantage.

Neither of these things have happened yet and a wipe is unwarranted until they do.

No claims? 24 hours after a wipe it would be exactly the same scenario.

• Like 2

I can see a Claim Wipe happening.  Like Atlas Seasons. 

Season 1.

The Salty Pirate.

But nothing new will happen after the wipe.  The first come first serve people will be there and you won't be. 

Just now, ptonfm said:

I can see a Claim Wipe happening.  Like Atlas Seasons. 

Season 1.

The Salty Pirate.

But nothing new will happen after the wipe.  The first come first serve people will be there and you won't be. 

A claim wipe wouldn't make sense without a full wipe, otherwise people will just reclaim all of their territories via fast travel very quickly and all the people on here whining will still lose out of land.  A full wipe at this point would only be useful to those who would have fun by ruining the fun others are having, as there is no logical reason to wipe the server in it's current state.  We are about to have a content patch which needs tested, to test it we need to be able to build/buy the things in the patch.  Wiping now means they won't be able to see their content tested for a much longer amount of time as people build up and get their lands back.