Sign in to follow this  
LSG

Base crew of the brigantine

Does anyone else think the base crew size of 16 for a brig is pretty low and doesn't seem to scale correctly compared to the size of the ships? To start the brig is at least 2x the size of a schooner almost 3x but its base crew is only 2 more than a schooner which is at 14!? The Gally's base crew is something 50+ I don't have the number at the top of my head, but that makes sense because the ship is massive. But going from 3, 14, 16 to 50+.....uh what?

I haven't seen threads or concerns about the base crew size of the brig, so I just wanted to get the conversation started at least and hope for some quality of life changes to the brig for crew size. I think everyone is going to have different opinions on this matter regarding balance and meta etc..so I am curious to see what the community thinks.

My personal suggestion for a base crew increase for a brig would be to 22 or 24, I think 22 would be a good start. But I believe at least 24 would be ideal. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So what you can already fit more cannons on a brig than realistically possible for a ship of that size.

The brig has 6 possible gunports on each side of the ship, so that's 12 already and you want 3 for your sails which is now at 15. Then you need space for yourself as the captain which puts you at the max of 16. I think a decent brig wants at least 3-4 active players on it as well for using swivel guns, repairing and fighting players from boarding your ship in attempts to keg it. 

This is just if you want to make a basic brig with what the game allows you to do with the available gun ports and sails. 

4 minutes ago, LSG said:

The brig has 6 possible gunports on each side of the ship, so that's 12 already and you want 3 for your sails which is now at 15. Then you need space for yourself as the captain which puts you at the max of 16. I think a decent brig wants at least 3-4 active players on it as well for using swivel guns, repairing and fighting players from boarding your ship in attempts to keg it. 

This is just if you want to make a basic brig with what the game allows you to do with the available gun ports and sails. 

Yep true. The game gives you all available spots and if you want it differently, you can customize it yourself. 

• Like 1

Wiki says +1 per level. I do think it should be 20. crew though. The brig is significantly bigger than the schooner but only gets 2 more people. It should allow for a few people to be unstationed for repairing and navigating (not steering). Though 16 is useable, I do think it should be a little higher. 

Going on ship scaling, the schooner actually feels like it has 2 too many fun ports. Perhaps it should only have 4 per side and 11 crew.