Sign in to follow this  
cfxyxx

SODs still need balance

1.Green SODs are everywhere! They are too powerful for small ships and too weak for large ships. Destroyed a green SOD only can get some garbage. they just like a lot of green flies,so annoying.

2.Only few high level SODs in ocean region, but too many in golden age ruin. I can't find any SODs which level higher than 30. However, if I go to a golden age region there are more than five level 58 SODs waiting for me. it's good to hunt some high level SODs but not fight 5 of them together. 

3.Some SODs will wait for some player transfer to another region and attach them when they can't move. if it takes a long time to transfor, some small ship will be destroyed.

4.If fight with a SOD or a ghost ship using a Brigantine is better than using a Galleon, why we need spent more time to creat a Galleon in pve?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cfxyxx said:

1.Green SODs are everywhere! They are too powerful for small ships and too weak for large ships. Destroyed a green SOD only can get some garbage. they just like a lot of green flies,so annoying.

2.Only few high level SODs in ocean region, but too many in golden age ruin. I can't find any SODs which level higher than 30. However, if I go to a golden age region there are more than five level 58 SODs waiting for me. it's good to hunt some high level SODs but not fight 5 of them together. 

3.Some SODs will wait for some player transfer to another region and attach them when they can't move. if it takes a long time to transfor, some small ship will be destroyed.

4.If fight with a SOD or a ghost ship using a Brigantine is better than using a Galleon, why we need spent more time to creat a Galleon in pve?

Yeah Yesterday tried to explore Polar Regions. After crosing the Line, i got instant Shooting from 2 Sotd and a Disconnect. As i can Login again my Ship was Sinking... Nice!

They need to up the rewards for killing them, that's all.  I could easily take out every green I see, but it's literally not worth the time to stop.

Give me basic repair mats, more than 4 coins (seriously... 4.....) etc.

7 hours ago, Archsenex said:

They need to up the rewards for killing them, that's all.  I could easily take out every green I see, but it's literally not worth the time to stop.

Give me basic repair mats, more than 4 coins (seriously... 4.....) etc.

Yeah, especially the green one. only can get some garbage from them. I can't find any reason for fight with them.

Good news is they reduce the spwan rate in golden age region. I should test it later.

8 hours ago, Jorm said:

Yeah Yesterday tried to explore Polar Regions. After crosing the Line, i got instant Shooting from 2 Sotd and a Disconnect. As i can Login again my Ship was Sinking... Nice!

Many player face this problem especilly when there is a update. I think they should make some protection for disconnect player. For example, do not let SODs attach a ship which do not have any oline player on it.

30 is the max level for anything in none golden age ruins. It's designed that way so new players don't get over run or don't run smack bad into something they are not prepped to deal with. So they limit the higher level ones to a few areas so if you want better loot and a good fight to go to the grid's they are on. 

If anything wish they would lower the spawn rates. I'm sick of seeing 3-9 (yes, NINE)  ships of the damned as I'm traveling on my cargo brig.

Edited by Taiine

7 hours ago, Indywoodtiger said:

hate to point out but isnt this what they are planning on late Feb Update. 

They have said they're going to add size differences, but they've said nothing about whether or not they'll rebalance the loot that comes out of them.

If all they do is make a smaller one, that gives LESS loot (1 coin?) then they'll just pile up, and the more dangerous ones at the current scale (12 coins?) will also not be worth killing.

Variety is needed to that people on smaller ships can ease into the experience, yes, but a schooner killing a small SOTD for 1 coin and a piece of toast will not be fun.

LOOks they will spwan huge number of SODs after every update. and there are many whales in 13 area now. They are so close to our island. I don't know if they will attach our ship if I try to drive it.

The sotd spawn rates are insane again. We made an 8 hour round trip last night with a pair of brigs doing maps and were seeing 10-15+ in most grids, some clustered 4 or 5 together. It was a rough night, lol. It was hard to avoid some and we took some good hits but made it home safe. 

On 2/3/2019 at 1:19 PM, jabnlab said:

The sotd spawn rates are insane again. We made an 8 hour round trip last night with a pair of brigs doing maps and were seeing 10-15+ in most grids, some clustered 4 or 5 together. It was a rough night, lol. It was hard to avoid some and we took some good hits but made it home safe. 

Spawn rates aren't insane, you are just travelling in areas where no one is killing them.  If your in a fast boat stop worrying about dodging them, sail directly behind them and you'll be out of range before they have turned enough to fire more than once.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:06 AM, cfxyxx said:

1. They are not everywhere, they are not too powerful, if you wanted you can take em out with a sloop.  A well armed schooner could drop em in just a few volleys.  

2. Golden Age is meant to be more difficult.  It is quite literally balanced for large groups of people with bigger combat vessels(galleons/brigs)

3. They don't wait, there is no AI mechanic for this.  You are just spawning in at a very unfortunate spot.

4. Galleon is useful, can have more cannons than the brig but it's weight and maneuverability are what makes the brig outclass it.  A brig can turn way faster than a Galleon.  You don't need to build a Galleon unless you want to.  But in it's current state it is better used as the cargo vessel while your brigantines handle combat.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, cfxyxx said:

LOOks they will spwan huge number of SODs after every update. and there are many whales in 13 area now. They are so close to our island. I don't know if they will attach our ship if I try to drive it.

They upped the number of whale spawns.  Makes for better hunting and the mean ones will definitely attack your ship if you attempt to sail it, but you should be able to outrun them if you have the ship setup properly.

Ships of the damned are getting balanced a bit in the late February patch, they are adding a smaller ship that will be easier to fight with the smaller ship types, and a larger ship to add more challenge for briggs and galleons.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, Nutcutt3r said:

Not sure where you are at but we have been all over and have not seen didly, exaggerate much?

"I haven't seen it myself" isn't the same as "everyone else is wrong" and it'd be good for you to learn the difference. 

D99F3886FC2AAE4F4577856DC7C941E44A1A1101

This doesn't show the four behind us on the other side. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vaenix said:

Spawn rates aren't insane, you are just travelling in areas where no one is killing them.  If your in a fast boat stop worrying about dodging them, sail directly behind them and you'll be out of range before they have turned enough to fire more than once.

1. They are not everywhere, they are not too powerful, if you wanted you can take em out with a sloop.  A well armed schooner could drop em in just a few volleys.  

2. Golden Age is meant to be more difficult.  It is quite literally balanced for large groups of people with bigger combat vessels(galleons/brigs)

3. They don't wait, there is no AI mechanic for this.  You are just spawning in at a very unfortunate spot.

4. Galleon is useful, can have more cannons than the brig but it's weight and maneuverability are what makes the brig outclass it.  A brig can turn way faster than a Galleon.  You don't need to build a Galleon unless you want to.  But in it's current state it is better used as the cargo vessel while your brigantines handle combat.

They upped the number of whale spawns.  Makes for better hunting and the mean ones will definitely attack your ship if you attempt to sail it, but you should be able to outrun them if you have the ship setup properly.

1.Yes, sloop can avoid SODs very easily in a sunny day. however, if player face a dense fog that ship almost 50% dead. Because they can't see anything. They have no time to avoid a SODs when they saw it in fog. Now, we almost have fog weather every day. We already have 4 sloops killed by SODs. So, I don't think sloop is a good choose in this version.

2. I saw more than 6 green SODs in a small area last time not in golden age region. And they do not worth to fight. kill a green SOD need almost 30 shells and only can get 1-10gold and some garbage. reward and cost not equal.  if we don't kill them they will attach us. Galleon hard to avoid from them and needs huge amout of materials to repair. Green SODs also can easily kill some small ships in fog or when player is traveling to another region. I think they should delete some of SODS and change the reward.

3. After every update. they will spawn huge number of SODs in the sea and some SODs are so close to the island. Today I just saw a SOD stuck in a island and attach players building.

Edited by cfxyxx

18 hours ago, Vaenix said:

If I can upload pictures I will show you what happen. However, here only allow me upload files less than 0.49mb and the  size of my picture is more than 6 mb

Discovered Polar Region last weekend. The frequence of SotD there is pain in the ass. Additional to whales.
Had to sail several times towards a bunch of 5-7 SotD but (thanks Sloop with large SpeedSail) they neevr had a chance to get me even when i raced thru their foregardens. 
It actually was fun when i noticed that they cant hit me or get me 🙂

Sadly then this "steam issue" came around which ended my racing sloop on the ground of the oceans.
To finish: the SotD Spawn is not balanced at all. Just like the op said: the greens are useless to hunt down - the loot isnt worth the mats for the cannonballs at all (the gold is neither). 

4 hours ago, cfxyxx said:

If I can upload pictures I will show you what happen. However, here only allow me upload files less than 0.49mb and the  size of my picture is more than 6 mb

I don't need pictures, I sail between 6 regions every night minimum either for resources or for treasure maps.  The only areas where they are super heavily spawned in are typically the north/south(polar/tundra) or the golden age.  That is primarily due to the fact that no one is hunting them there and for the most part they aren't worth hunting unless they are being a pest. 

They are getting a pass with the new sizes that should be coming this month.  the lower level ships really need a boost on loot, not worth the ammo to kill them.  tbe ability to break down ammo types we dont need for materials to make what we do need would be awesome.

9 hours ago, cfxyxx said:

Ya, this website sucks. We need a new fan site / forums. Much like EQ2flames for EQ2. This one picture bullshit is for the birds.

Know what would be cool? A weekend with no hostile mobs at all. None. Imagine how productive we could be for once.

Edited by Stabby

53 minutes ago, TyGeR_STD said:

They are getting a pass with the new sizes that should be coming this month.  the lower level ships really need a boost on loot, not worth the ammo to kill them.  tbe ability to break down ammo types we dont need for materials to make what we do need would be awesome.

Yeah.  I'm still fairly confident that most of the problem stems from them not being worth killing, so they pile up.

Seeing 2 or 3 low to medium close to each other should, while I'm on my war galleon, be something fun, since its concentrated loot.  But now it's a better use of time to sail on by and get to resources or something.

1 minute ago, Archsenex said:

Yeah.  I'm still fairly confident that most of the problem stems from them not being worth killing, so they pile up.

Seeing 2 or 3 low to medium close to each other should, while I'm on my war galleon, be something fun, since its concentrated loot.  But now it's a better use of time to sail on by and get to resources or something.

More than likely.  I've got some near my port that will be getting treated to some cannon volleys not for loot but because they got too close, otherwise they just aren't worth the time let alone the ammo.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, pope_kd said:

"I haven't seen it myself" isn't the same as "everyone else is wrong" and it'd be good for you to learn the difference. 

D99F3886FC2AAE4F4577856DC7C941E44A1A1101

This doesn't show the four behind us on the other side. 

Well maybe just mark that on the map as a dont go there place. Dont BS me like they are that way all over and that was my point.

1 hour ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Well maybe just mark that on the map as a dont go there place. Dont BS me like they are that way all over and that was my point.

Don't backpedal now, bud.

Your exact quote was: "Not sure where you are at but we have been all over and have not seen didly, exaggerate much?"

"Not sure where you are at" -- again, just because you personally haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't a problem.

"but we have been all over" -- clearly not.

"and have not seen didly" -- is this picture more than "diddly?" Just wondering.

"exaggerate much?" -- there's no exaggeration, it's exactly what OP is saying, particularly in point 2 of his first post.

Hope this helps.

My only other input would be not to let SoTD travel with in a certain range of the server walls.  Or, when you zone into a new server your immune to SoTD aggro for X time.  nothing more frustrating then zoning into a new area just to have 4 SoTD trying gang bang you like a drunken prom date......