lemand81

Hardware for a 4x4(realistically 3x3?)

I really want to have at least a 3x3, and would love to have a 4x4 but I am guessing that's for a later date.....

The hardware I have:

AMD FX-8320E 8-Core

32GB DDR3 Ram

Gigabyte board

PSU

Case+large cpu heatsink+server grade fans

250 GB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD(if necessary)

So any chance this can do a 3x3.......4x4?  If there is something I need to upgrade to get me over the hill to make those goals, let me know what it is.

ram is the limiting factor, 3x3 might be possible but 4x4 probably not.  My advice is make your map as a 4x4, plan for the main areas to be a 3x3, and it has ram left then enable more, or, make the 4x4 and start with only 4x2 active cells.

Server requirements are simple.... 2+ cores and 4+ GB RAM for each grid

So you would be lucky to run a 2x3 as long as the machine isnt doing anything else. There is no way you could play on the machine thats hosting without dropping for a 1x2 at best

That's a very weak processor. You can run 3x3 but you will crash the moment people start building. You need more ram. The single thread performance on that CPU is horrible and UE4 is very single thread intensive. 

3 minutes ago, Sakura said:

That's a very weak processor. You can run 3x3 but you will crash the moment people start building. You need more ram. The single thread performance on that CPU is horrible and UE4 is very single thread intensive. 

I don't know about the processor, but that single threaded idea is outdated, the atlas server process runs with over 20 active threads, not one.   Yes it has a main thread that is more relevant than others, but there are nearly 2 dozen threads running on that one process.

1 hour ago, Nelson Sandalwood said:

I don't know about the processor, but that single threaded idea is outdated, the atlas server process runs with over 20 active threads, not one.   Yes it has a main thread that is more relevant than others, but there are nearly 2 dozen threads running on that one process.

No the single threaded idea is NOT outdated. UE4 physics can only run on a single thread, which is the MAJORITY of the processing power it needs. Yes it can offload other stuff to other cores but that doesn't matter when those don't take much processing power. I guarantee any cpu with higher single thread performance will run UE4 servers better than a cpu  with high core counts.

2 minutes ago, Sakura said:

No the single threaded idea is NOT outdated. UE4 physics can only run on a single thread, which is the MAJORITY of the processing power it needs. Yes it can offload other stuff to other cores but that doesn't matter when those don't take much processing power. I guarantee any cpu with higher single thread performance will run UE4 servers better than a cpu  with high core counts.

No

[edit] Unless that one task is requiring more CPU cycles than a single core can deliver of course but if that is the case you are already screwed 

Edited by Nelson Sandalwood

1 minute ago, Nelson Sandalwood said:

No

I guess it makes sense you don't understand the basic of hosting performance servers when you average 5 players at most. An intel atom can host that.

1 minute ago, Sakura said:

I guess it makes sense you don't understand the basic of hosting performance servers when you average 5 players at most. An intel atom can host that.

Dude, don't be that lame guy on the forums resorting to insults, be better than that

1 minute ago, Nelson Sandalwood said:

Dude, don't be that lame guy on the forums resorting to insults, be better than that

When you reply "No" with no explanation or reason, you are already resorting to insult.

• Haha 1

My server would never have more than 20 people total on all grids combined, and the rig would be running the server exclusively, nothing else need to run on it.  If it was more efficient I could run Linux on it instead of windows.

Just now, lemand81 said:

My server would never have more than 20 people total on all grids combined, and the rig would be running the server exclusively, nothing else need to run on it.  If it was more efficient I could run Linux on it instead of windows.

The linux server has a cpu usage bug that is a show stopper at the moment, but they are testing a fix so it should be fixed soon, and it will easier to manage if you are already linux savy

When that happens use this:  https://github.com/BoiseComputer/atlas-server-tools

2 hours ago, lemand81 said:

As i commented, your cpu will struggle with a 2x3 without players.