Sign in to follow this  
Jozzie McTowel

Degression of total playerbase (Ark & Atlas)

I guess pictures say more than words, but here is just a clear line showing how much these "devs" are pissing people off over time.

arkat1y.PNG

arkat6m.PNG

arkat3m.PNG

Edited by Jozzie McTowel
  • Thanks 4

Hey my dude.

i read and bumped your other thread concerning the state of the game and it was well written. The inclusion of the videos of blatant hackers/ exploiters was also a good inclusion. 

I hope the stuff that was laid out in the most recent captains log works to help get a lot of the player base back as well as adding a lot of new players. They did point out that they realise they can’t just cater to mega companies or streamer companies (by extension) and realise smaller and medium companies make up part of the player base too. Which is good imo. 

I don’t know if the devs are trying to piss people off essentially. I just think they were focussing too much on the hardcore PVP aspect of the game. The player base for atlas and ark I don’t believe are specifically the CSGO, PUBG and Rust types. Which is good sometimes. 

In ark you can generally talk to other players (in my personal experience which may vary from server to server basis) rather than just being required to KOS lest you be KOSed first. I came to atlas (from playing mostly Rust on australian servers) with that in mind  and the intention to change my play style. This seemed to suit atlas for a while until the stone update went live. Then  offlining by a number of wannabe MLG (I’m assuming former ARK mega tribes became rampant and chased off a number of smaller and medium groups. That made discourse with a lot of the player base ( and therefore some game mechanics that I believe should be crucial to this game ) like trading and neutral claims with smaller groups living on them together to help defend etc disappear. 

Id really like to see the devs bring in a system that rewards large companies by turning them into what you’d essentially call a “government” with smaller groups ( civilian population)  living on their land to reward those “governments”. 

I then hope the bigger groups will be rewarded for only fighting other bigger groups rather than smaller groups. 

I think the latest captains log may be addressing something like what I described above, which will hopefully bring smaller companies back to the game on a fair playing field. 

Keep up the good fight buddy. And thanks for the insight. It’s a shame to see such a cool game die due to such small mistakes on the part of the devs. I hope they can fix it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's almost unbelievable watching this game bleed. I can't imagine the mental gymnastics they're doing to avoid blaming themselves.

• Like 6

Anything unexpected here? 

Before the launch the atlas community would be like what? 10K people? Then it absolutely exploded when pretty much every big streamer on twitch started streaming it, because of that everything went to shit. After that, it’s pretty much ARK’s development all over again. I’m definitely not surprised. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL, once again, proving that charts can show exactly what you want them to.

Here, watch this trick.  No Man's Sky vs Atlas 1 month after launch.

SSE4bWR.png

Oh Noes! No Man's Sky is DOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEDDDDDD!!!

*cough*

Edited by Jean Lafitte
  • Like 2

Warren Buffet is by a wide margin the most successful investor of the modern era. Until he gave most of his fortune to charity he was one of the wealthiest men in the world. Go look up what he thinks of charts and graphs of stock prices as useful tools of information. In the case of Ark all I see in the chart is the same sort of fluctuation all successful games experience over time. At the moment activity there *may* be affected by a significant portion of their playerbase trying out their new game. As far as Atlas, it’s just too early in the process to draw any useful conclusions.

Bottom line is you can show all the charts you want, but the example of No Man’s Sky and the way it came back from almost dead means the opera ain’t over til the fat lady sings, so might as well just sit back and see what happens.

The last ARK expansion was called Extinction for a good reason. It has single handedly managed to do what even mass exploits and hacking couldn't and that is turn people away from the game. Extinction basically added the ability to tame Titans which in Atlas terms would be like being able to tame something in between a Dragon/Hydra and the Kraken in terms of raw power, health and size.

Now obviously with a such creature being tamable, what was left of balance in ARK was scattered to the wind. It breaks through even the highest tier structure with ease and has 500,000 hitpoints and isn't even that hard to tame certainly not for a mega tribe. The end result has been players leaving the game in droves and yet still Wild Card hasn't fully come to understand why it might be a bit game breaking. 

The Atlas devs though seem to be a bit more with it in terms of tame balance at least. They've nerfed the tameable dragon significantly although I would still argue the game would be better if it simply wasn't tameable to begin with.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

The last ARK expansion was called Extinction for a good reason. It has single handedly managed to do what even mass exploits and hacking couldn't and that is turn people away from the game.

If Ark is considered a failure, then may all my failures be this successful.

Top games by current player count
CURRENT PLAYERS PEAK TODAY   GAME

546,899 628,750   Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
482,184 832,202   Dota 2
279,308 805,746   PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
257,535 275,043   KHOLAT
88,069 106,502   Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
60,197 60,420   Football Manager 2019
58,493 58,723   Rocket League
52,404 53,544   Rust
51,680 64,959   Warframe
51,260 70,925   Grand Theft Auto V
48,372 56,771   Team Fortress 2
38,797 40,070   ARK: Survival Evolved

36 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

LOL, once again, proving that charts can show exactly what you want them to.

Here, watch this trick.  No Man's Sky vs Atlas 1 month after launch.

SSE4bWR.png

Oh Noes! No Man's Sky is DOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEDDDDDD!!!

*cough*

You are using made up numbers though so I'm not sure what your point is.  Atlas would be 27076 peak players on Jan 22.  And with your NMS numbers both are clear terrible trends?

I hate statistics because of how easy they are to manipulate retards, but I fail to see how using imaginary numbers proves anything?

EDIT - NMS was wrong, my steam charts is acting funky.

Edited by Kyorin

3 minutes ago, Kyorin said:

You are using made up numbers though so I'm not sure what your point is.  Atlas would be 27076 peak players on Jan 22.  And NMS was like 9k down to zero almost.  Both of which are clear terrible trends.

I hate statistics because of how easy they are to manipulate retards, but I fail to see how using imaginary numbers proves anything?

https://steamcharts.com/app/834910

https://steamcharts.com/app/275850

Did I stretch the 2k vs 9k for dramatic effect? Yes I did. Are the numbers imaginary? No, they are quite real. Does it prove my point that charts can say what you'd like? Yes it does.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

13 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

482,184 832,202   Dota 2
257,535 275,043   KHOLAT
52,404 53,544   Rust
51,680 64,959   Warframe

ARK is far from a failure but its a game that is in a steady decline which is not helped by the lack of foresight from the developers with regards to introduced balance issues that they have created.

13 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

482,184 832,202   Dota 2
257,535 275,043   KHOLAT
52,404 53,544   Rust
51,680 64,959   Warframe

But don’t forget where ARK comes from. It took an enormous amount of bad decisions, nerfs and buffs to get where it is. And they still screwed up with extinction. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Percieval said:

But don’t forget where ARK comes from. It took an enormous amount of bad decisions, nerfs and buffs to get where it is. And they still screwed up with extinction. 

I could spend the next hour debating all these doomsayers and their statistics. I could spend another hour speculating as to why they make these posts. But here's reality.  This is a 24 inning game and trying to predict the final score now is akin to waving a dead chicken around professing that your performing voodoo.

Edited by Jean Lafitte
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I could spend the next hour debating all these doomsayers and their statistics. I could spend another hour speculating as to why they make these posts. But here's reality.  This is a 24 inning game and trying to predict the final score now is akin to waving a dead chicken around professing your performing voodoo.

*tucks his dead chicken under his trench coat and walks away whistling*

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I could spend the next hour debating all these doomsayers and their statistics. I could spend another hour speculating as to why they make these posts. But here's reality.  This is a 24 inning game and trying to predict the final score now is akin to waving a dead chicken around professing that your performing voodoo.

or you could just chalk it up to their observation and opinion without the need to feel like you need to debate everything

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Jaite said:

or you could just chalk it up to their observation and opinion without the need to feel like you need to debate everything

Killjoy.

• Thanks 1

ALL online games start off with big numbers and then slide downhill after a month or two. It's just the way things go.

36 minutes ago, Jaite said:

And if there were no one point fingers at fake news then people would believe everything they read and we'd all be speaking Chinese.

1 hour ago, Greyleaf said:

ALL online games start off with big numbers and then slide downhill after a month or two. It's just the way things go.

Nope. Eve did something very right. 

f6dc888a216af2034d3b185c4e4b93ff.png

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

And if there were no one point fingers at fake news then people would believe everything they read and we'd all be speaking Chinese.

When I read OP's post, I read "Look this is what I think is happening based on the data this website is scraping from the API".

When I see your post, I see "Let me try to cause some drama and make up a chart".

You see this here? It's an observation from me of someone who probably cries fake news every chance they get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaite said:

When I read OP's post, I read "Look this is what I think is happening based on the data this website is scraping from the API".

When I see your post, I see "Let me try to cause some drama and make up a chart".

You see this here? It's an observation from me of someone who probably cries fake news every chance they get.

And you could have just chalked that up to my observation and opinion without feeling the need to debate it... but you didn't did you?  When I see your post, I see "I need to interject some slander here because his facts are obviously skewing public opinion."

3 hours ago, Kyorin said:

You just read the highest amount it hit in the month?  Why would you do that, that just makes it a terrible chart.

Hey guys...

*looks over his shoulder*

I think he gets it!

1 hour ago, Sklex said:

Nope. Eve did something very right. 

HEY! No posting factual charts on these forums! It's forbidden! This is for fake news and doomsayers only!

• Haha 1

I'll give u comparison from those games in the top so much on Steam, excluded TF2 cuz of space issues and it being a free game. Now the games in this list are listed on all time graph.

comparison.thumb.jpg.319202d95d2c75e049683eba448c3dd6.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jozzie McTowel said:

I guess pictures say more than words, but here is just a clear line showing how much these "devs" are pissing people off over time.

arkat1y.PNG

arkat6m.PNG

arkat3m.PNG

It is way worse than the graphs to be honest. Ark sold way more copies, even with the player charts. Ark also still failed and was rescued by snail games for an influx of money.

it isn’t a matter of if the game will die or not. What it comes down to is, “who will buy this company” when they need another influx of cash.

if they can get a big company to buy them out then sure the game could survive. But they literally can’t do it themselves. It is completely impossible. They couldn’t do it with ark and ark was more successful.

lets wait and see who buys them out this time. Hopefully rare

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Warren Buffet is by a wide margin the most successful investor of the modern era. Until he gave most of his fortune to charity he was one of the wealthiest men in the world. Go look up what he thinks of charts and graphs of stock prices as useful tools of information. In the case of Ark all I see in the chart is the same sort of fluctuation all successful games experience over time. At the moment activity there *may* be affected by a significant portion of their player base trying out their new game. As far as Atlas, it’s just too early in the process to draw any useful conclusions.

Bottom line is you can show all the charts you want, but the example of No Man’s Sky and the way it came back from almost dead means the opera ain’t over til the fat lady sings, so might as well just sit back and see what happens.

There is a massively huge difference between stocks and gaming charts.That is why there is a commission over seeing everything stocks because there is a lot of illegal activity there and manipulating stocks and stock values.I would garner a bet that the illegality of the stock market is far worse than the commission can keep up with or prove and that is a problem,they need to definitively prove every wrong doing.

A game chart is VERY simple,it doesn't even carry any discrimination or excuses ,it shows that on that platform weather it is succeeding or players are disapproving with the developers ideals.

• Like 3