Sign in to follow this  
Tina Toothpick

"Top companies" are NOT "Top companies"

29 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

If I have a million grains of sand, am I richer than you? No. You can go get a million grains of sand whenever you want. If I own the world, am I richer than you? Yeah. There's only 1 world we are both on.

It is the only thing in game that when you gain it, someone else loses it.

You're basing that on the current status of the game. The game is changing and features are being added everyday. Gold has been promised to be the defacto currency exchange above barter- as depicted in their wishes to setup player markets in the freeports (which are run and operated by gold).

Gold will become the standard, land ownership 2nd to it as the land is only as good as the profit in gold it will generate. As land is -not- the only way to generate gold, being a huge land owner will not guarantee your state of power in the world, only provide advantage if the land is developed and utilized wholely.

Land value has yet to become a statistic people are concerned with; but that will change over the evolution of the game. You can own 10 tiles of desert, but if your desert doesn't produce gold, it's as worthless as the sand that encompasses it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_continents_by_GDP_(nominal)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#Area_and_population

While Africa and Asia are the largest continents in the world (with the largest populations), on the GDP Africa never breaks the top 3, and Asia which should dominate only holds #1 in one category.

TL;DR - If my 1 tile produces more gold value than your 10 tiles, then you are living on and own crap piles.

It's like people didn't take their courses in history seriously...

Edited by Teach

Well I've got to say when I read the list I haven't heard of any of them. Certainly haven't been across my way so not that big. Must be a mistake surely. 

14 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

In this context, yeah absolutely.

7>6

Say it out loud. Its called the say it out loud test. 

Seven, is greater than, Six.

If we are rolling dice,  id rather have 7 than 6.

If we were fighting id rather have 7 people on my side than 6.

If we were having an orgy, id rather have 7 women than 6.

Its a basic principle, sure you can start adding caveats and conditions, but the basic logic is very sound and really very well tested. They even came up with the easy to read mathematical statement just in case it wasnt clear.

7>6.

Once again "greater than" in this context just stands for an inequality between the numbers. NOT one being superior to the other.

I can't believe i have to actually explain this. Nothing makes 7 superior to 6 other than opinion. 

"Greater than can be defined as an inequality used to compare two or more numbers, quantities or values. It is used when a quantity or number is bigger or larger than the second or rest quantities or numbers. "

You're making the mistake of assuming "greater" in this context is synonymous with "superior", which it is not. It simply means "more". "More" does not mean "superior" or "better". "More" pertains to quantity, not quality.

"top companies" implies they're of a higher quality, which they are not outside of opinion. Therefore, claiming companies that aren't actually "top" as "top" is false.

Edited by Tina Toothpick

On 2/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, boomervoncannon said:

Right, raw troop strength matters less these days. Speaking as an american, I would like to see us invest more heavily in things like education and health care, I think our military can slide by with only being able to flatten every third country if need be, but that's just me. I also think that the battlefield of the future might be a cyberwar moreso than guns, and to fight that war we'll need better oh look...education. Or you could just go all crazy and practice foreign policy and and diplomatic strategy that made you less hated. There's always gonna be some gunning for the top dog effect *cough* China *cough*, but we don't have to actively feed into that like we often have been. 

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Atlas, so I'll just say I could go on in depth, but shouldn't.

Also, the I'm sure the US Navy would take issue with your overlooking them.

With a policy like No Child Left Behind, you will never have better education.  Often, private church schools outperform public schools, and do so with lower paid teachers, and less resources.  But we always think that throwing more money at the problem is the answer.  People would be shocked to learn the amount of money we spend per student in public schools.

Also, even as we spend more money, we dumb down the actual education that the kids receive.  Thus we pump out kids who don't even know the names of the countries of this world, or their Capitals.  Schools often stifle the kids who have actual genius in one area, but zero interest in other subjects...thus their real talents end up wasted.  Thank Teacher's Unions.

9 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

With a policy like No Child Left Behind, you will never have better education.  Often, private church schools outperform public schools, and do so with lower paid teachers, and less resources.  But we always think that throwing more money at the problem is the answer.  People would be shocked to learn the amount of money we spend per student in public schools.

Could you provide evidence supporting your statement?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/faith-schools-academically-no-better-than-any-others-epi-report-religion-catholic-church-england-a7451676.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/07/26/no-private-schools-arent-better-at-educating-kids-than-public-schools-why-this-new-study-matters/?utm_term=.d8a9a805785e

Edited by MajorAvatar