Sign in to follow this  
Stabby

Make Anchor Chains Longer Please

Hi Devs. Can you please make anchors a bit longer please? Maybe 2x or 3x their current length? The variable terrain depths make anchoring ships very difficult sometimes. It would help us tremendously. Thanks.

• Like 1

The thing is even 2 or 3 times longer wont help.  Because there is a noticeable drop off to the ocean floor between islands.  So where it is deep, it is REAL deep.   

Making it too long would be breaking the game. SOTD don't attack (well they aren't supposed to) anchored ships. So you could just Anchor and avoid being blown up. I think a little longer might be ok to get an anchor spot not right on the beach every time. But admit it it would just be an exploit. 

5 minutes ago, Stationmonkey said:

Making it too long would be breaking the game. SOTD don't attack (well they aren't supposed to) anchored ships. So you could just Anchor and avoid being blown up. I think a little longer might be ok to get an anchor spot not right on the beach every time. But admit it it would just be an exploit. 

I think they already don't break off an existing attack. You can't just anchor when under attack and avoid getting destroyed. This would just allow you to anchor in more situations to avoid attack, but the main point is to make anchoring possible in some difficult shorelines. I'm all for this.

6 minutes ago, Case of the Scurvy said:

This will also make the dinghy more viable

I would love to see the dinghy be more viable on larger ships.  I would also like to see the dinghy dock taking up a LOT less space on the deck of the ship.

2 hours ago, wildbill said:

I think they already don't break off an existing attack. You can't just anchor when under attack and avoid getting destroyed. This would just allow you to anchor in more situations to avoid attack, but the main point is to make anchoring possible in some difficult shorelines. I'm all for this.

My longtime gaming buddy has tested this 7 times. Anchoring does cause SOtd to break off unless the latest patch changed it.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

My longtime gaming buddy has tested this 7 times. Anchoring does cause SOtd to break off unless the latest patch changed it.

I was just going by what I read in the patch notes. Never had the guts to test this myself 🙂

I think the intent is that it should not break aggro, so I would expect this to be fixed at some point. My point that this should not be a reason to not have longer anchor chains I think is still valid.

Edited by wildbill

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

I was just going by what I read in the patch notes. Never had the guts to test this myself 🙂

I think the intent is that it should not break aggro, so I would expect this to be fixed at some point. My point that this should not be a reason to not have longer anchor chains I think is still valid.

Agreed.

I actually was suggesting something similar in another thread.

I was thinking components you can buy like the ships figureheads. A heavy anchor and a deep sea anchor (you can only have one equipped). The heavy anchor could only be equipped on schooners and up and would allow you to anchor in the medium blue water around islands as well as shallow water. The deep sea anchor could only be equipped on galleons, would allow you to anchor anywhere but would not protect against SotD. This allows the medium/large ships to anchor further out from shore while still needing to be close to an island while the largest ship class have the option of that or being able to anchor anywhere at the risk of bring vulnerable to attack if you leave them there.

The Sea Anchor... This crafted anchor allows any ship to anchor at sea but it has a limited durability. Once it expires the ship is cast adrift and is vulnerable to wind weather and ship decay.

I'd rather they fix it so when you anchor in shallow areas it doesn't take 5 minutes for the chain to finally pull up. The chain seems to extend to its maximum albeit not visually while in shallow water.

10 more feet or so of chain would be nice.

Where I anchor, I have about half a boat length between too deep to drop and dangerously shallow. Many islands don't have much open space for parking.

just need to make it so say you are within a certain distance to shore you should be able to anchor 

after several anchoring tests the chain length is not the issue. The only thing i can think of is that there is a anchoring zone around the islands. I have had to scrap my hull on the bottom  a few times to get the anchor symbol yet I see others that are just down the beach and you have to use a diving suit to get to the bottom where they anchured

The other weird thing is the anchor drops off the rear of the ship, but the anchor activation is based off the front. If I back into the water near my base, I have the hull scrape bottom, and still can't anchor. If I rotate in place, and face the island, the anchor drops fine, even though its then over a damn near 90 degree dropoff to the depths.