JustShootMe

Renting a cluster or stay on the offical NA Pve server

I am having great fun in the PVE world but the official server is over crowded. Lawless and Non Lawless it is hard to find land to build on or claim all of the hackers and griefers .

My wife has started playing with me now and likes the building aspect of the game.

I am at the point of just renting a 2x2 cluster for $50.00 a month but than it would only be my wife and I but we could then experience other aspects of the game so I am torn.

The best would to find a group of like minded players to share the costs and get a 4x4 and have a true PVE experience with out the hackers and griefers.

Anyone else having these thoughts? or interested in starting a server cluster with me and my wife?

we are adults in our 50's

14 minutes ago, JustShootMe said:

I am having great fun in the PVE world but the official server is over crowded. Lawless and Non Lawless it is hard to find land to build on or claim all of the hackers and griefers .

My wife has started playing with me now and likes the building aspect of the game.

I am at the point of just renting a 2x2 cluster for $50.00 a month but than it would only be my wife and I but we could then experience other aspects of the game so I am torn.

The best would to find a group of like minded players to share the costs and get a 4x4 and have a true PVE experience with out the hackers and griefers.

Anyone else having these thoughts? or interested in starting a server cluster with me and my wife?

How much, thats more than the game.

That is for 10 players and 4 servers so a 4 Grid map.

You then have full control of your server and experience.

while 1 server is ~$11.00 a month you really need 4

i rented one like that for 11.00 that was A1, A2, B1, and B2 that they said was a server. after initial log in I never found it again so i let it run out.

That is a 2x2 and at g-portal it is 1 master and 3 expansion which is about $38.00 as I just found out. Total of 40 players. I may go with just one master at the start after reading their wiki

There are lots of servers already out there. I have played on servers similar to what you are suggesting.

I normally donate after playing on a server for a month or two, but I am not interested in paying up front.

Typically I see groups of players forming a sort of club, centered around a discord or website. They will usually have some technical members that host their own hardware, but some do the hosting route like you are considering.

Keep in mind once you open it up to other players, you will encounter those who expect support in game like you would not think from people not paying any money to play on a server.

I've also seen very compact servers, just a single grid or two that have every single biome, but not the power stones or the Kraken. You can do this if you don't lock a grid down to a single biome.

18 minutes ago, JustShootMe said:

Thank you Wildbill the support aspect of it I had not thought about I will keep that in mind.

There is also this thread about people wanting a single player option, although sounds like you want a dedicated server (or LAN) option which for this game would be the same thing:

2 hours ago, JustShootMe said:

I would definitely recommend shopping around and seeing what is already out there before taking on the hassle of setting up one yourself.  Right now the available ini options are very limited and customizing the server via mods is a bit buggy as well still.  I'm on a PvPvE cluster, most of the map is PvE with the exception of 4 grids(4x4 map).  So when looking don't be too off put by what the homeserver server shows as the game mode as it can be PvE and still have PvP(and vice versa).  I'd look around there are plenty of streamers/youtubers who have started up their own maps(4x4 or higher) that will let you join, they usually require a sub on twitch or patreon support but if the goal is unofficial with controlled environment(anti griefer rules) it's cheaper per month than doing your own and usually ends up with you having more people to play with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaenix said:

I'd look around there are plenty of streamers/youtubers who have started up their own maps(4x4 or higher) that will let you join, they usually require a sub on twitch or patreon support but if the goal is unofficial with controlled environment(anti griefer rules) it's cheaper per month than doing your own and usually ends up with you having more people to play with.

Hate to admit it, but thats a great idea

20 hours ago, JustShootMe said:

I play casually with my GF. I tried PVP, PVE, 2xPrivate from bigger groups, one one 6x6 and one on 9x9. 

The private experience was great, as in great community, smooth servers, .. BUT

When I come home from work (high stress job) I don't really want to look over my shoulder all the time just because I want to create a hut. Snakes, Tigers, Wolves, etc. 

What I ended up is renting a 1x2 pvt srv (started with Nitrado but starting to regret it). I now have a nice beach house, sloop with a captains hut, a captains hat and a monkey on my shoulder and it's been a bliss! 

I made the freeport islands playable and removed lvl cap, so there's no agro animals. I do have other islands around which have all the default things in case i feel adventurous. 

The one thing that I would like is neighbours. Maybe not even on the same island, but in the region. Random local chat. Visiting what others did. Have a SotD hunt on Saturday... 

So yeah, if there's interest we could stick our heads (and resources) together (not necessarily meant for just the OP) and create a "League of Sunday Players" 😄

20190131163711_1.jpg

never thought I'd say this, but the way Atlas is designed, renting servers suck.   We rented plenty of Ark server time, but to get the full experience of atlas, a 2x2 or 4x4 just doesn't do it at all...  Sailing is part of the fun, and long treks is part of it.......  Official nailed it, but, to achieve immersion, you need BIG maps...  and it just gets too expensive (unless you have LOTS of people chipping in for a > 10x10

3 hours ago, Vorxius said:

never thought I'd say this, but the way Atlas is designed, renting servers suck.   We rented plenty of Ark server time, but to get the full experience of atlas, a 2x2 or 4x4 just doesn't do it at all...  Sailing is part of the fun, and long treks is part of it.......  Official nailed it, but, to achieve immersion, you need BIG maps...  and it just gets too expensive (unless you have LOTS of people chipping in for a > 10x10

Endless sailing and 20 SotD is not taht much fun either 😉
Sailing for the sake of sailing gets boring pretty quickly. What will you do - sail in a straight line for 2 hrs or do zigzag just for fun? 

Personally i'm quite fine with sailing 10-15 min, land, explore / meet and then sail off again. But, when I arrive somewhere I'd be happy not to be greeted by giant crocodiles and cobras. 

Yes, Atlas is a survival game, true that. And official servers have exactly what they promised - survival of the fittest. For me though, a casual player, I have all that in my "offline" life, so I don't need a game with all that. Hence me renting a small server to test, so 1x2 seemed reasonable. So far except constant auto-updates it's been a blast. Have a nice sloop, today i'm floating it and visiting the discovery zone i set up. And if i encounter a crocodile I'll send the SOB to hell with my flame arrows! 

Who says Atlas can't be a single player / small group and needs to be 100x100 with 1mio players 😄 AAAAR AAAR AAAR

7 minutes ago, TheCoolGuy said:

100% uncalled for and unnecessary.  What the hell is your problem?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustShootMe said:

I did go find a 5x5 server that is mixed you can find their information at https://theArk.life/ the server is very well run and my experience was so good that I became an supporter and purchased a medium tropical Island named "Preachers Cove" feel free to come check it.  I can't say enough good things about the server admins.

hey, thanks for the info! The link though doesn't seem to work, can you check it pls or shoot me another one in private ?