Sign in to follow this  
Keika

What is wrong with Atlas Players?

30 minutes ago, vaylain said:

You won't need to tell the difference between a legitimate PVP battle and offline grief if they implement a flag for ships that are anchored, unmanned, and all members of that company have been offline after a period of time. You may NOT like this solution but that does not mean that Grapeshot won't.

I have no problem with a fix like you mention that prevents offline raiding. I was specifically responding to the original poster, where he said he watched the guy do it. You can't fix that sort of griefing, but you are right, most griefing occurs when you are offline and there are changes Grapeshot could make to prevent those.

• Like 1

If Grapeshot had truly wanted to make a pirate game that was more an MMO than the current game, they would have designed it such that there were no bases at all. This would avoid all kinds of griefing.

It would go something like this:

You start out at a freeport. You buy a raft or sloop. You place a smithy on it and gather the mats to make a shipyard. You find a place to anchor your ship and place a claim flag and place your shipyard. Claim flags could only be put on water and would decay fast if there is no shipyard built. There would be more boat designs available. Some specifically tailored to be a floating base. Your base would be on a boat and travel everywhere you go. No bases on land. Islands would be just for gathering resources, doing quests and treasure hunts. No claiming land at all. Make the boats leave the game when offline. No offline presence of boats at all. You would either log back in with your boat at your shipyard or at a freeport, your choice.

• Like 2

Just to add to those people who always cite mmo = not single player : don't talk crap. Some of my happiest gaming moments ( not all) have been solo playing while guild mates are offline. EQ2, WoW, Lotro. All mmo's that in no way required you to group if you didn't want to. Original Planetside was heavily team based but had excellent opportunities for solo play.). I can safely say that the group of people that I've been hanging with for 15 years will agree

So to agree with an earlier post mmo is for lots of people. But not primarily group play. So if you're sick of solos complaining, just remember these guys want to do it on their own. Easy to be critical when you gave up and joined a big group. Rant over

As for the griefing I don't know. A system where honour or dishonour could be used I guess. So if you take place in a large scale raid and take lives and ships, you get some sort of social standing, be you pirate or loyalist. Would need factional suppliers with goodies to provide the motivation. But you offline raid and destroy stuff in your underpants you earn scumbag points. The more you do it,  the less your factions will want to deal with you until eventually no one will touch you, not even Freeports. Could have guards at Freeports to drive these scumbags off. So their only option for spawning safely would be lawless areas. Could even possibly have redemption quest lines so if you were an asshole, you could approach a Freeport with stuff to try and bring your factional standings back up to basic Freeport status. Like a new start. But the quest should not be easy. Should be a pain in the balls

• Like 2

Its a PVP server, what do you expect, plus sinking ships is good to deter people away from your island.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Reuben said:

Its a PVP server, what do you expect, plus sinking ships is good to deter people away from your island.

he expects pvp not griefing. You think PvP is offline raiding? or some dick taking all his gear off and ruining everything with nothing to lose himself cos hes got no penalties for being smashed up before respawning and doing it all again in his underpants?? you think that's PvP? PvP needs a price to be paid for everything. Be brave, stand up, and get into some real fights! Don't be an ass and just ruin stuff cos you can. That aint PvP. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reuben said:

Sinking ships while that company is online is one thing but doing it while they are all offline is just griefing and NOT PVP.

• Like 1

Yep The game has so much potential but it’s Achilles heel is the fact that when you are offline you can be totally destroyed for little cost to attacker leaving the defender wiped, protecting offline players ships when offline and in port and a base buff is a simple fix that will keep people playing, after all its meant to be about fleets/ ships and battles at sea as opposed to let’s target offline players and destroy them because it is fun and not profit driven in any way. what it does is destroy any new population influx into the game as well, base buff and ship buff when offline will help small players and large groups and result in larger at sea battles which surely everyone wants? Also correct me if incorrect but the lawless islands should not be able to be dominated by large companies that hold flagged land elsewhere, they should be the domain of smaller entities, this gives smaller entities I.e newer players an incentive to learn and grow and move forward. Many players do not wish to join a borg like entity.

Edited by Dosomething
  • Like 1

The only offline feature that should be added is when a company goes offline their structures and ships have a buff that gives resistance to damage. This way things can still be raided but at a steep price. The no damage while offline is a joke and will be abused and exploited badly.

I strongly believe that those who use the "It's a PvP game..." as an excuse for people being trolls are most likely the very type of people who partake in this kind of behaviour. Sad little basement dwellers who are so distraught with the pathetic achievements in their lives that their only way to give themselves a tiny feeling of self-worth is by trolling people to make their victims upset. 

After several thousand hours of Ark Official PvP and a couple of thousand on Rust I have come across many of these types and they normally turn out to be dicks in general.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Pizik said:

I strongly believe that those who use the "It's a PvP game..." as an excuse for people being trolls are most likely the very type of people who partake in this kind of behaviour. Sad little basement dwellers who are so distraught with the pathetic achievements in their lives that their only way to give themselves a tiny feeling of self-worth is by trolling people to make their victims upset. 

After several thousand hours of Ark Official PvP and a couple of thousand on Rust I have come across many of these types and they normally turn out to be dicks in general.

You say that but from what i've read there are a bunch of trolls on the PVE server as well....

Well, there we go, this is exactly why providing our feedback to Grapeshot helps improve the game while it is early in EA. There is absolutely NO reason to ignore a possible game flaw, considering it just a "fact of life", and feel forced to accept it. Here is Grapeshot Administrator, JATHEISH's latest post referencing upcoming and anticipated changes to Atlas:

Over the past week, the crew have been engaged in deep discussion over our core design and philosophy of the game. We’ll be making changes based on your feedback and our internal reviews over the past 5 weeks. This Captain’s Log is going to go take a high-level look at our plans going forward!

We recognize that the game has a lot of fun mechanics and gameplay that players enjoy, especially when you can live out your dreams of being a pirate. However, the feedback we often receive is that it’s too tailored to large companies, alpha groups, and hardcore players. 

A large number of you have expressed that you are unable to make enough progress to reach this stage of the game, due to our hardcore design. Our thinking going forward, with the community’s help and feedback, we plan to make the game less punishing and reduce the steep climb required for players to reach the parts of the game which make it special. This means we’re going to be changing core systems to ensure that those who do not have as much time to invest or play in small groups or as solo players are still able to experience the highs seas of ATLAS. 

For those of you in large companies, worry not, as you are still a fundamental part of our design and key to the game’s vision. We believe there are changes we can make which will make the game more immediately accessible for everyone and overall more enjoyable, without detracting from the heights that large and dedicated groups of players can achieve. All players will be able to experience the best parts of this humongous shared persistent world, whether you’re a solo player, a small group, a large company, or a multi-company alliance.

Some of our design changes will revolve around:

• Allowing players to experience the ‘piracy’ side of the game immediately, whilst not trivializing the content.
  • Making sure that solo players and smaller groups feel safer when logging off, or that after they’ve taken a break they can come back and know that it won’t be such a difficult feat to get out on the seas again.
  • Incentivize companies to neutralize their territories, inviting others to make use of their land so that both can benefit.
  • More MMO aspects: player markets, player-specified automatic trade routes, additional quests, and daily missions

and we'll be continuing as always with:

• Continuous focus on bug/exploit squashing, stability, and performance.
  • Relevant QOL and Content additions to meet game and community needs

We plan to have our first real serious round of adjustments with this philosophical change in mind around March (as we’re already well into preparing the February content update so that’ll proceed with some changes), and this will continue relentlessly going forward.

Edited by vaylain

9 hours ago, labatts said:

You say that but from what i've read there are a bunch of trolls on the PVE server as well....

True, I guess it boils down to "Dicks are dicks". Both in game and in real life.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, James Sulivan said:

Read : Don't you dare give me the actual solution to my problem because fuck you, I don't like it and I don't want to have a solution to my problem. I want a personal "I win" button versus any sizeable group or that anyone that doesn't play like I want them to, to be removed from my divine sight at once.

Of course it is.

Yer part of the problem not the solution bub...why troll the guy when he has a very valid argument.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, Hodo said:

Wow... that was a bit of an overaction.   No offense but when you play this type of game you have to expect some attacks like this all the time.  People want an easy "I win" and the easiest thing is to offline raid someone.  Makes them feel leet.   I prefer doing online raids when they are online and sinking their stuff when they are right there doing things.  

In the description of the game...

MMO= Massively Multiplayer Online 

Last time I checked Multiplayer ment multiple players, which if we look at the root of that... multi, which means more than one.  It can be safely deduced that the game is not a single player game.

Last time I checked Multiplayer meant you will have interactions with other player characters. Not that you have to actually team up with them. 

I fell yer pain man. I played with the top groups in Eve for years and ya know what sometimes it's just nice to play with YOUR friends and not have to deal with politics and pressure that is the large group. Now on saying that paying to rent space is great but it's not as easy as these forum warriors are making it out to be. I have been through so many zones asking for a place to rent and getting told outright to get bent or to leave or die etc. A12 for example, Black Butterfly owned. Largest island in the game the only other one of it's type is A4. Island has every resource you could want but salt and in such huge quantities you could fit 100 companies there without ever touching dicks in the night. We asked politely to live there and pay upwards of 30% tax and were told no the island was too saturated and we had 24 hours to leave. There are literally 3-5 bases on an island that could fit 300 bases and never once step on the toes of the guys beside you. Never saw the server pop rise above 25 people and that was with our 8 guys on and through Chinese prime time. We have had the same interaction with Destiny, HSBB, Dynasty, OOF, OWO. Some of the largest companies in game and they are like nah no room 5 people live here but no room you leave now. 

We lived lawless but the radius around structures is so small you get single foundation cannon wiped nightly while you sleep. NPC protections sure...except the cannon guys kill them with carbine or set up at the right angle to not get hit back. Build a ship wall it in. Wall gets shot down and ships sunk nightly. Never get enough of a chance to farm gold for NPC defenses because our ships never last a day. 95% of them have all been offline sunk. We have lost one brig and one schooner in actual combat I think. Our Galleon glitched out zoning and devs won't give us a new one so that's gone as well lol. Just dropped that galleon, took it to freeport to crew it zoned out poof, glitched and never got to use it again.

People in this forum spouting the same tired rhetoric they have been spouting in every full loot game since they came into existence. Offline raiding is the most efficient so that is why its done. Go back to PVE whiner. It's an MMO why should anyone protect yer stuff when yer offline. Guess where all those other full loot games are now...GONE or with such a small niche community of like minded toxic retards>  The only one left is Rust and why because they have private servers with RULES. Solo, DUO,Trips,Quad only servers. Also even on the big servers it's so easy to build up because they too realized it shouldn't be farm fest and allow you to get yer shit up and running in an afternoon so you can then play the PVP game.

Many large groups In Eve learned that wiping a mom and pop wormhole company chases potential fights and ganks away permanently. they stopped wiping them so more would come and provide content. All these mega corps have small niche groups of douches running around at 4am offlining everyone. All it takes is the leadership to stand up and say nope no more fuckery boys were here for good fights and if all the mom and pop groups are dead and gone they won't sail for supplies or give any fights. We were alphas on Ark and had the same rules, let the small prosper so open world pvp for drops and other stuff could happen. Be sportsman and don't kill passive tames or offline raid. We would wipe anyone who did it so long as proof was provided to us by smaller tribes. Now if smaller tribes are being douches then that's different. 

Not hard at all for Grapeshot to implement a timer after a ship has anchored that it goes invulnerable. Maybe even the stipulation that ships only go invulnerable after all company members log. They had it set up in ARK not hard to do it here and not unfair. Ships/bases go invulnerable after a timer so if being raided they lose all their shit if they try and log. Small mom and pop companies are safe because well small and life and work etc. Large corps always have peeps online so the hardcore peeps can take their own advice and join a large company...

Just because you can offline doesn't mean you should. And if more peeps started frowning on sportless action like that then the gaming community as a whole would be much better off. Kinda like it used to be, full of sportsman nerds who weren't scared to lose it all in open battle. Nerds of 20 years ago were made fun of by everyone practically but they had a helluva lot more balls and integrity then 98% of todays gamers.

On top of all this the stone nerf plays a huge part in small company griefing. In rust a small company would put up such a huge base that most larger groups wouldn't bother with it because it simply cost more to raid it then what they would most likely get to loot. Not so with Stone walls being 30x the cost of 9 cannon balls in Atlas. Wood with 3x as many honeycombs is almost better because of the resource reduction to put it up. On top of that I would guess that many small companies are in lawless or tundra regions because those are the only places no one else really wants. Make stone stronger and you relieve a shit ton of griefing issues imo. It won't effect large company battles because that is what they want in the end right endless pew pew pew? 

Offline raid protection is really something needed for games these days. Maybe make it a toggle so you can choose to go full hardcore if your company chooses to do so. It makes sense because there are tons of people who enjoy pvp who don't want or need to be part of huge zergs. In fact those who go it small have way more balls then the sheep flocking to the large corps. That is what it is too...herd mentality. We all flock to the larger groups till they get their arses whooped then we all slip away in the night and pretend we don't know them and join the other big group. Seen that soooooo many times lol.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:19 AM, vaylain said:

Hey, F' off you troll. Not everyone who enjoys actual PVP also desires the griefing. It is not the same and there should be better options to thwart griefing from the game. You are considering your suggestion as the only solution to the problem when maybe, Grapeshot might consider another solution such as offline raid protection instead. It is not up to you, it is up to them.

offline raid protection is in the game you can enable it on private servers so they do have the ability they just choose not to do it, from most changes they make such as fire dragons, stone nurf, fire arrow nurf, fountain of life, elephant nurf, many of their choices seem to be to grief the player when some things were fine but needed more minor tweeks not the nurf hammer.

I play solo and find it somewhat rewarding because of the difficulty level.. If I can survive traveling over a few squares in a ramshackle sloop or manage to make landfall on a zerg island and get the discovery, it's somewhat rewarding..  some kind of honor system or bounty's would be cool.  I also found it rewarding to find a few holes in my base and the main structure intact! 

the way I see it Solo is hardcore difficulty mode, If you want easy mode then join a massive crew. Personally I just like to explore and run between islands

the only bad part about being solo is being scared to launch a schooner because it takes a week or so to build and it's 100% guaranteed to be destroyed on the maiden voyage.

I'm basically keeping my ship un launched in the yard in a lawless area and using it as a base/spawn , the same way that people beach a raft and build a stone wall around it ..

Devs have announced major changes in march, remember this is an alpha. the game will have many changes to come.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:22 AM, Keika said:

This is not ment to just cry about getting raided or because u loose ships to other players. I am a person who has a real job to do and so i also need some sleep during the night. We get pretty often raided etc which is hard enough for a small company (DONT say get a bigger one etc... ) But today when i came online our ships inside the walls were claimed (happened quite a few times). There was a naked lonely guy on one of them and he just sailed with fullspeed inside the shipyard to sink the ship.

I see the problem already, you joined a PVP server and didn't bother to set up defenses so that the enemy could 'sail full speed' into your shipyard.