Sign in to follow this  
MisterMyztik

Does the geography of atlas trigger anyone else?

I've been biting my tongue about this for a while but its really messing with me...

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but last I checked, when someone crosses the north pole they don't wormhole to the south pole.. 

Still loving the game, great progress in a short period of time, looking forward to the future!

26 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

when someone crosses the north pole they don't wormhole to the south pole.. 

donut-shaped planet

• Like 1

It is not the north and south pole, notice the regions are named east and west but not named north and south?  This is because you are not on a sphere you are playing on an unrolled torus.    The first and last row of the map are the same pole at the top of the torus, the middle row is at the bottom of the torus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

• Like 2

Mind blown.

Thank you both 😉 I will rest easy when i finally finish with this Mexican Land-claim standoff.

Edited by MisterMyztik

I always viewed it as a half sphere myself as in we're only exploring the northern/southern hemisphere sailing up/down to the north/south pole and then down/up to the equator and back so there's an entire half of the world unexplored but its still there which is why things like the compass work.

Actually if you went to the northpole and then further over you would still end up at the northpole, just a diffrent location sa A1 -> M1.  you would not go from the north and spawn at the south.  

if that was true you would not have a south but instead only one pole, not even sure how to model that but it would look very wierd.  (and now i figured out the comparison with a torus...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_equal-area_projection

Just imagine going from sweden to australia would then be the the closest direction over northpole (magicly spawning at the south pole) and voila. 

Edited by Viscos

I don't acknowledge people who use the term "trigger" unless they are referring to a firearm.

Now go get micro-aggressed by my comment...

• Like 1

But the issue is you can sail from the top of the map onto the bottom, tried to propose a hemisphere map that was polar to equator  for unofficial and triggered a bunch of people that said they would be sailing from pole to equator.   That wraparound is what makes it the torus (devs most certainly could have put a red wall there though)  As far as your compass goes?   Well it is magic steampunk powered and also provides GPS coordinates.    Cause if indeed it was an unrolled torus up would be down and down would be up depending on if you are inside or outside half of the map - it is not a north south half despite what the compass says.

Edited by krazmuze

15 hours ago, krazmuze said:

but it also means the magnetic field is wierd.....

In the donut-shaped map, the magnetic field would simply wrap around the donut in a manner where the field passes through the middle of the dount and then wraps around the outside and looping back into the middle again.  The 'equatorial' zones would be on the outside edge closest to the sun where the 'polar' regions would be on the inside of the donut center.  A spinning donut would account for day/night cycle.  The only problematic part of the donut-shaped map is that all of the grids are exactly the same dimensions.  If it were a true donut the polar zones would be narrower east-west than the equatorial zones since the circumference in the middle of the donut is smaller than the circumference of the outer part.  North-south dimensions would be approximately the same.

Does it really matter.. making a perfect sphere is impossible without it being noticeable af

I always thought the center of the map was one pole, and the arctic areas combined are another. It's wierd but the map works that way.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:33 PM, MisterMyztik said:

I've been biting my tongue about this for a while but its really messing with me...

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but last I checked, when someone crosses the north pole they don't wormhole to the south pole.. 

Still loving the game, great progress in a short period of time, looking forward to the future!

Ah, that’s sad 😔 

7 hours ago, Reuben said:

Does it really matter.. making a perfect sphere is impossible without it being noticeable af

Or just doing a bad job. That is pretty noticeable as well

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2019 at 4:53 AM, Realist said:

Are you kidding me? To make a sphere without being noticeable, that map would have to be the size of the Earth and each server would have different shaped borders, none/few being perfect squares.

• Like 1

my only issue is that winds move in a clockwise direction you don't get random wind changes, I don't count storms as they just speed up the clockwise movement not really random wind also the fact that wind is uniform but weather isn't is also strange the fact one zone can be foggy but the next have a storm but the wind is the same...

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 8:53 PM, Realist said:

Square pegs don't fit in round holes

On 1/31/2019 at 1:46 AM, Thor Ragnarock said:

I donut like the shape of this map. flat world makes more sense.. you sail into the void. Please fix.

They can't because of, "here there be monsters."

Oh... wait... nvm.