Sign in to follow this  
INVALID

Beta Client: Client Side Performance Gains

4 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Will Try that

@Jatheish  Reverting to normal client didn't fix anything, It still sits loading those two videos, no other files (it loaded a bunch of resources during first startup which seemed normal but now it's just sitting at low CPU and not looking for anything on disk so no reason for it to hang).

I will try isolating those files, and if that works, I'll re-up to the beta and do the same

I don't know if re-applying the beta will replace the video files, because if it detects they're missing, they will be redownloaded - which is basically the same that happens if you verify the game's cache and those files have been moved or deleted. If they're redownloaded after applying the beta, just move them again.

1 minute ago, Dabu said:

@Jatheish Is this compatible with Low Memory Mode?

Low memory mode, has never worked for me anyways, what worked for me was moving the AtlasTitle.wmv and LoadingScreen.wmv to a different folder, which low memory mode also has been made to encompass, after my fix was discovered.

Edited by Incarnate

2 minutes ago, Incarnate said:

I don't know if re-applying the beta will replace the video files, because if it detects they're missing, they will be redownloaded - which is basically the same that happens if you verify the game's cache and those files have been moved or deleted. If they're redownloaded after applying the beta, just move them again.

It'll almost certainly put them back.  Regardless, nuking them got me back in, and confirmed that Beta Versus Non Beta @ 4k and Max settings has almost zero difference, it's still 19-20 FPS on Non Beta.

Time to re-opt in and download again, because the bump at 1920 was still nice.

Also, had a hard time loading in because of the traveling between servers bug.  For whatever reason, I think whatever is routing me from Home Server to "current location" tries to drop me off on the ship stuck in limbo, then I got kicked out and forced to spawn again and it's working.

6 minutes ago, Dabu said:

@Jatheish Is this compatible with Low Memory Mode?

There shouldn't really be a noticeable difference, you're welcome to give it a shot and let me know what your experiences are like 🙂

Just now, Archsenex said:

It'll almost certainly put them back.  Regardless, nuking them got me back in, and confirmed that Beta Versus Non Beta @ 4k and Max settings has almost zero difference, it's still 19-20 FPS on Non Beta.

Time to re-opt in and download again, because the bump at 1920 was still nice.

Also, had a hard time loading in because of the traveling between servers bug.  For whatever reason, I think whatever is routing me from Home Server to "current location" tries to drop me off on the ship stuck in limbo, then I got kicked out and forced to spawn again and it's working.

Kind of weird that they haven't actually done something about this issue, like a permanent fix to the game keep trying to load those two video files constantly when trying to load in.
You reporting that it worked removing those two video files, is just another confirmation that there is an issue they need to fix in regards to those video files.

2 minutes ago, Incarnate said:

Kind of weird that they haven't actually done something about this issue, like a permanent fix to the game keep trying to load those two video files constantly when trying to load in.
You reporting that it worked removing those two video files, is just another confirmation that there is an issue they need to fix in regards to those video files.

The drive isn't even taxed, it's reading each of them at about 1mbps, so 2 mbps total.  While unpacking the download, steam is getting > 100 MB/sec (it's a three disk array)

what if you have a i9 9900k and 2080 ti? still try it out or wouldn't be that much of a performance increase?

5 minutes ago, John said:

what if you have a i9 9900k and 2080 ti? still try it out or wouldn't be that much of a performance increase?

Should still be an improvement, but less likely to see gains versus others.

17 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

The drive isn't even taxed, it's reading each of them at about 1mbps, so 2 mbps total.  While unpacking the download, steam is getting > 100 MB/sec (it's a three disk array)

Maybe not, but it certainly is impacting in a way that affects loading into the game detrimentally. Consider it, I have a lot reports from people saying that had 12-15+minutes when trying to load into the game when those video files weren't moved, but after for those people where it worked, they reported the same results or similar results I had, it after that fix was applied only took ~3 minutes or less to load into the game. That was only moving those two video files, so it certainly doesn't something. Also to note, a lot of people also have reported getting a lot of new fragmented data after running Atlas without the fix.

@Jatheish - One shouldn't have to use low memory mode to disable those video files, especially not when one isn't experiencing memory issues - I suggest adding a seperate startup parameter for it, like -novideos or -disablevideos. Those two video files being constantly loaded when loading into the game, is NOT a memory issue, but a design/coding issue, that can have or has severe implications to harddrives. Apparently, those video files being constantly loaded from disk during loading into the game, on a lot of systems seems to be severely impacting the harddrive's performance and potentially its lifespan. You need to fix this ASAP.

Edited by Incarnate

Ok, so final outcome is that whatever you guys did in the Beta version, you've completely broken compatibility with SLI.  I can't even get into the game with it up (the system finishes reading in textures and object data, and then basically just sits and never enters the game).

For me on a 1080 @ 4K it's not much difference, but I'm now able to push 1920x1080 resolution up to pretty much max settings with a good framerate.

Now I had a hell of a time connecting through much of this but that was mostly due to the "in server transit" bug that's popping up a lot now.  Really hoping you guys can get to that as we're pretty much unable to sail (down one Galleon and not going to risk any other ships when they could pop at any moment)

27 minutes ago, Incarnate said:

Maybe not, but it certainly is impacting in a way that affects loading into the game detrimentally. Consider it, I have a lot reports from people saying that had 12-15+minutes when trying to load into the game when those video files weren't moved, but after for those people where it worked, they reported the same results or similar results I had, it after that fix was applied only took ~3 minutes or less to load into the game. That was only moving those two video files, so it certainly doesn't something. Also to note, a lot of people also have reported getting a lot of new fragmented data after running Atlas without the fix.

@Jatheish - One shouldn't have to use low memory mode to disable those video files, especially not when one isn't experiencing memory issues - I suggest adding a seperate startup parameter for it, like -novideos or -disablevideos. Those two video files being constantly loaded when loading into the game, is NOT a memory issue, but a design/coding issue, that can have or has severe implications to harddrives. Apparently, those video files being constantly loaded from disk during loading into the game, on a lot of systems seems to be severely impacting the harddrive's performance and potentially its lifespan. You need to fix this ASAP.

I'll talk to the team about it, but just keeping this thread focused on the GPU changes atm.

13 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Ok, so final outcome is that whatever you guys did in the Beta version, you've completely broken compatibility with SLI.  I can't even get into the game with it up (the system finishes reading in textures and object data, and then basically just sits and never enters the game).

For me on a 1080 @ 4K it's not much difference, but I'm now able to push 1920x1080 resolution up to pretty much max settings with a good framerate.

Now I had a hell of a time connecting through much of this but that was mostly due to the "in server transit" bug that's popping up a lot now.  Really hoping you guys can get to that as we're pretty much unable to sail (down one Galleon and not going to risk any other ships when they could pop at any moment)

Alrighty so still noticing problems with SLI. Will let our tech team know. 

Just now, Jatheish said:

I'll talk to the team about it, but just keeping this thread focused on the GPU changes atm.

Alrighty so still noticing problems with SLI. Will let our tech team know. 

Sounds good.

I've tried using the beta, but crash every time, however I've also been trying to join an unofficial server that are using a few mods, do you want the crashstack and/or dmp file?

1 minute ago, Incarnate said:

Sounds good.

I've tried using the beta, but crash every time, however I've also been trying to join an unofficial server that are using a few mods, do you want the crashstack and/or dmp file?

yes please! If you could paste the stack into www.pastebin.com and send me the link, that would be helpful. Do you crash on the Official Network too?

Replying in this thread since I've been mentioning it here...

I THINK I managed to get my galleon out of limbo by suiciding, and changing home servers.  That appears to force the game to re-initalize my location data, and popped the galleon out of server transfer.  My guess is that while a ship is in transit, it's considered "part" of the pilot.  Total wild guess.  Will reply in my bug thread as well

Just now, Archsenex said:

Replying in this thread since I've been mentioning it here...

I THINK I managed to get my galleon out of limbo by suiciding, and changing home servers.  That appears to force the game to re-initalize my location data, and popped the galleon out of server transfer.  My guess is that while a ship is in transit, it's considered "part" of the pilot.  Total wild guess.  Will reply in my bug thread as well

Aye, this bug is on the top of our list. I was actually just talking to an engineer about it and I'm hoping we can get it resolved asap, sadly it's one of the more tricky ones. Additionally, it doesn't reproduce very well in our testing environment so we have to iterate on the live game to resolve it. 

Sorry for going off topic! 😬

2 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Aye, this bug is on the top of our list. I was actually just talking to an engineer about it and I'm hoping we can get it resolved asap, sadly it's one of the more tricky ones. Additionally, it doesn't reproduce very well in our testing environment so we have to iterate on the live game to resolve it. 

Sorry for going off topic! 😬

I can get you whatever info about the ship I've got experiencing it right now that I can

I just downloaded the beta to test performance gains if any on my systems. I am seeing about 10 fps gains while on islands averaged from 40-68 fps to 50-78 fps; Also seems to be able to reach higher fps at times  (80+ Fps).  Using 9900K 5.2Ghz/2080TI OC/32GB DDR4 4000/Samsung 970 SSD.

Edit: Using 3440X1440 Monitor Capable of 120 hz/ Everything is on Ultra/High in the settings.

Edited by NobleToker

1080Ti , playing on custom settings based off the high but with clutter density turned way down for easier fiber gathering.  

Download size: 119.7 MB.  However it took about 10 minutes to unpack and install, I found this odd.  

FPS Prior to this was around 60, I don't play in 4K as I just don't care.  That being said, my graphics card is always heavily taxed.. not sure why.  sitting at around 90-99% load.. my hopes is this will resolve that issue.

Results: 

Saw a 15 FPS gain, playing with settings and tuning them down some was able to jump to 110 or so FPS stable.  However I am still taxing this card at 90-99% load no matter what settings (unless I run low then it drops to like 40% load..)

I am unsure of the culprit here.  But am worried about card longevity.  

@Jatheish :
Here you are, the crashstack on pastebin.com: https://pastebin.com/0mbJ6J1d.

I haven't tried yet on the official, as I was too quick to begin reverting back to the normal client, however I stopped it, when it was at 20%.
So when it was done applying the performance beta, I couldn't actually launch it, because it kept and is still causing issues. I now keep getting the error, that there aren't sufficient resources. So I'm now working on getting the client working again, when I do I will update you with regards to the trying on the official network.

[EDIT]
Apparently, 89 files failed to validate, ~78MBs of data was re-downloaded.
Will test on official servers, once they're up, because it seems none are currently up.

Edited by Incarnate
Update
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kalryn said:

1080Ti , playing on custom settings based off the high but with clutter density turned way down for easier fiber gathering.  

Download size: 119.7 MB.  However it took about 10 minutes to unpack and install, I found this odd.  

FPS Prior to this was around 60, I don't play in 4K as I just don't care.  That being said, my graphics card is always heavily taxed.. not sure why.  sitting at around 90-99% load.. my hopes is this will resolve that issue.

Results: 

Saw a 15 FPS gain, playing with settings and tuning them down some was able to jump to 110 or so FPS stable.  However I am still taxing this card at 90-99% load no matter what settings (unless I run low then it drops to like 40% load..)

I am unsure of the culprit here.  But am worried about card longevity.  

Turn on vSync and Clamp your framerate.  You have to do it manually in the ini but if you force the card to cap at 60 you'll gain a reduction in heat

22 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Turn on vSync and Clamp your framerate.  You have to do it manually in the ini but if you force the card to cap at 60 you'll gain a reduction in heat

where did they hide the ini file?  

1 minute ago, Kalryn said:

where did they hide the ini file?  

It's stored in ..\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor.

Pre-Beta FPS- average 115fps.

Post-Beta FPS- average 125fps. HOWEVER, the game DOES stutter quite a bit more. The atlas map is also dropping frames quite terribly and causes some freezing issues. The graphics definitely look better, but the stutter and map lag is a little frustrating. Just letting you know my results! Hope this helps. 

@Jatheish - I was able to get on the official network, but it did stutter quite a bit and seemed sluggish on my system, even on low settings.
So obviously, the crashes I were experiencing with the performance test applied, would seem to be due to mods.

I got no difference with the fps. I was wondering because about 3 weeks there was a patch with 500+mb, at this time i was able to Play Atlas on highest Resolution settings without any problems. just for one day. after the next patch it was low fps and not playable on high Settings like before and like now. sorry for my bad english