Sign in to follow this  
INVALID

Beta Client: Client Side Performance Gains

Hey Pathfinders,

We've released a special client-side update on a beta steam branch which will enable some recent client-side optimisations we've been testing internally. The gains are GPU related, so those who are pushing the game to the maximum settings (4k res etc) and with less powerful graphics cards should see the most improvements.

We'd like to release this to the public but some more hands-on feedback and notice about stability would be good. If you guys experience any crashes with this client, please feel free to share the error messages in here, alongside any relevant information. When an error message pops up, after closing it/accepting the message, it will automatically paste to your clipboard, so you can head to https://pastebin.com/ and share the error in there.

To access the branch, please restart your steam applications (log off of Steam and log back on), right-click ATLAS in your game library, head to properties, select the 'BETAS' tab, and in the dropdown menu, opt into the performancetest branch. It'll download a patch and your client will be v16.34.

You will still be able to play on the latest Official and Unofficial servers using this beta client.

Thanks guys! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I will check this (and turn back up to 4k) but hard to test sailing when my ship is trapped between servers all of a sudden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only used it for about 5 minutes and already seeing fps improvement on higher quality! No crashes on startup so far. Running GTX 970 with mostly High graphics

will also give it a shot

And please fix the vultures

lost 3 rinos instant after tame  of cource vultures started to atack 

i think they started to atackof cource it had low hp

1 i coud save  equipping a saddle and using natures touch 

was on private server 

At 4k resolution with settings on Default "High" w/ Ground clutter distance maxxed, about 20 FPS on a GTX1080.  This is no real difference from earlier amount.  Sure looks nice but too much stuttering for smooth play.

Dropping to 1920x1080, I get 40-50 FPS, smooth and playable even at really high settings

Previously, to get 40-60 at 1920, I had to turn down shadows and antialiasing and a couple other things.

So quality is higher, but doesn't seem to be enough to really get me into playing at 4k.

Addendum - I will turn on SLI for my pair of 1080's.  Previously that got me an extra 5-10 FPS BUT the game tended to freeze up pretty damn reliably.

Now fix ships stuck between servers 😛

Edited by Archsenex

3 minutes ago, King Sinbad said:

Are there also CPU optimization in the pipeline? 

Yup! There's <everything> optimization in the pineline 🙂

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone, getting a lot of messages on other platforms too that people are seeing positive results. Hopefully it remains stable. 

• Like 1

OMG everything at epic settings and solid 30-40 fps 980ti 8700k 32gb ram WTG @Jatheish YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME

Download size isn't ~500MBs though, it's closer to 2.6GBs.
I'm curious to see if it does anything on my end.

Ah, I'll amend. May have been because I was on a special branch already before I swapped over 😅

I have a good way to compare, my wife and I have identical systems, 9700k @ 5ghz, 32gb ram, and an evga 1070ftw, both with identical 4k, 60hz monitors. Our systems usually run similar fps.

So I put the beta on my pc and not hers and fired both up. It looks pretty promising. At 2560x1440P all maxed and identical settings on both pcs and looking at the same things, I'm at 45-55fps and she is at 30-40 fps. So next i bumped both up to 4k and she was at 25-30 fps, and I was 30-35 fps, so not as big of a bump as 4k, but not bad

Edited by jabnlab

I only had 850Mb to download.

Quite a bit of disk activity afterwards tho 😛

5e32ffc627.png

EDIT:

I7-4900K

32Gb RAM

1080TI

Playing at 1440p, seeing maybe 3-5 fps increase. Stable 75-80FPS at sea. 50-60s at shore. For me, playing on EU-PVE, I do not seem to have any issues with the Beta client.

I never had any real issues with the vanilla client eighter tho. Some rare instances of game randomly shutting down, at most once every 2-3 days.

Edited by Calthaza
specs+verdict

Ok, I can't isolate if it's the Beta or just that the game is now having problems, but after turning on SLI I wasn't able to join the game at all, and after turning off  SLI, I am not able to join the game at all either.

Client just sits at PrimalGameData_BP.  Looking at resource monitor, it's trying to read "AtlasTitle.wmv" and "LoadingScreen.wmv" continually without end.

1 minute ago, Archsenex said:

Ok, I can't isolate if it's the Beta or just that the game is now having problems, but after turning on SLI I wasn't able to join the game at all, and after turning off  SLI, I am not able to join the game at all either.

Client just sits at PrimalGameData_BP.  Looking at resource monitor, it's trying to read "AtlasTitle.wmv" and "LoadingScreen.wmv" continually without end.

What happens if you don't use the beta?

3 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Checking now (It's a 900 MB patch to opt OUT of the beta...)

4 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Try moving them to a different folder - doesn't matter if it's to a folder within the same folder.
Thats basically the same issue a lot of people were having when people were trying to connect.

2 minutes ago, Incarnate said:

Try moving them to a different folder - doesn't matter if it's to a folder within the same folder.
Thats basically the same issue a lot of people were having when people were trying to connect.

Are you referring to those two video files?

10 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Are you referring to those two video files?

Yes, those two specifically.
It's basically using up most of the harddrive's amount of reads it can do.

I know this is a culprit when it comes to loading into the game, as I've had issue loading into the game, where doing that, fixed it, where before I could not even get into the game. The majority of those who've used the guide I've provided to accomplish the fix, have reported that it worked and that it cut their loading times down significantly. Personally, I went from 15+ minutes to ~3 minutes or less.

Edited by Incarnate
Adding context.

2 minutes ago, Incarnate said:

Yes, those two specifically.

Will Try that

@Jatheish  Reverting to normal client didn't fix anything, It still sits loading those two videos, no other files (it loaded a bunch of resources during first startup which seemed normal but now it's just sitting at low CPU and not looking for anything on disk so no reason for it to hang).

I will try isolating those files, and if that works, I'll re-up to the beta and do the same

40 minutes ago, cpjet64 said:

download size was 2.5gb but extracted size was 42gb for me 

I concur, extracted size is the same for me, though download size was 2.8GBs.