DannyUK

Taming elephants

Is there something wrong with taming elephants? I've done it twice before and not had much of a problem but trying tonight I just can't seem to do it. I'm using chillies for food, has worked before but everytime I go to its mouth he knocks me back and won't take the food when pressing E.

I tried to change the food to wild chillis as i've done it with this before as well but it just won't take that anymore either. I've tried to tame it 3 times tonight and I keep dying, you can't get near it without it throwing you away and killing you. Is this happening for other people also? I've gave up with the elephant for tonight. 

Lots of threads already about this. You might do a search and see that others have already said taming an elephant is broken.

I've heard it can still be done, but you will likely die 20 times before you figure out exactly how.

• Thanks 1

I tamed 3 the night before last.. using wheat and never died once.  Where are you approaching to feed from? That tends to be most peoples error, and I also have level 3 sneaking which apparently helps over guildies who only had level 2. 

Edited by Volbeater

I tamed a lot of elephants in the past, but actually is broken. Some people talk about a sweet spot for feeding, but the truth is, that elephants will hit you sometimes and you will die.

Pretty sure they will fix it!

• Like 1

Same with my experience. It's still possible with the "sweet spot" but much more difficult then is used to be. Thats why ppls will pay 4k+ for them!

Got 2 last night with wheat,  we have a person that has every tame skill possible and all the sneaky tree too, we watched him get hit a few times but lvl 29 wild took about 40 mins. Also we streamlined a good trap so pretty much nothing was on the bottom lvl and when the elephant fell no doors walls etc was in the way. 

work fine, its just now you cant use exploit bug (feeding through door/foundation) 

I’ve successfully tamed four elephants in the past 10 days. Wear armor, there’s a safe spot to feed from, have level 3 sneaking. Use gates or pillars to trap and plan where the elephants head drops when you bola. You want to be at the elephants chest behind the front shoulder.

if you still have issues, bring Med kits or contact me in game. I will tame and sell you an elephant for 1000 to 2000 gold depending on the level. 

Edited by Gaxon

8 minutes ago, Gaxon said:

I’ve successfully tamed four elephants in the past 10 days. Wear armor, there’s a safe spot to feed from, have level 3 sneaking. Use gates or pillars to trap and plan where the elephants head drops when you bola. You want to be at the elephants chest behind the front shoulder.

if you still have issues, bring Med kits or contact me in game. I will tame and sell you an elephant for 1000 to 2000 gold depending on the level. 

Well I wasn't wearing armour maybe that's half the problem. I've tamed them myself in the past without armour and did not have this problem so I do think it's some sort of bug. I've been in the position of the shoulder area where it says press E to feed, pressing it did nothing.

I have a pen already but I shall give it another try tonight. Where are you, which grid? I might take you up on that offer if all else fails.

3 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

Well I wasn't wearing armour maybe that's half the problem. I've tamed them myself in the past without armour and did not have this problem so I do think it's some sort of bug. I've been in the position of the shoulder area where it says press E to feed, pressing it did nothing.

I have a pen already but I shall give it another try tonight. Where are you, which grid? I might take you up on that offer if all else fails.

you do it the wrong side, it s from below

4 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

They did make a change to taming. You cannot feed through walls. This includes door ways, pillars, doors and gates. As long as the head and chest is not obstructed you should be able to feed. 

Im on NAPVE B11 Dreary Skerry Paragon Company. I’ll be taming elephants, Rhinos and Giraffes tomorrow. More than welcome to tag along. 

Edited by Gaxon

i have tamed a lot of animals...and i do mean a lot, as i tame them for my entire company and for trades.

traps are nice and necessary for lions since they dismount you and kill you.

when it come to elephants the feeding spot is in front of its belly, inch your way facing the head and you will find the feeding spot and never get hit.

personally i don't bother with traps anymore. I just beat them, bola them straight from my bear then tame. i get hit now and then...but thats maybe once every 7 tames. I find every animal has its easy tame spot and its not hard to find it.

For me taming is alot more difficult now since the change they made a few weeks ago. The problem I have is they constantly glitch into the mesh of the trap. I know why they made the change but after alot of taming multiple types of animals pre and post this patch I really hope they revisit this soon. Something seems towent wrong in the coding I can't feed animals with no obstruction because it reads a doorway as an obstacle but last night I had 5 cobras come through the stone walls of my base not sure how but they came right through the walls.I hope they have time to look into this happy sailing all.

Edited by Yomaz