vaylain

There is NO PVP in offline raiding so why is it allowed?

You know how I would solve this problem ?

2 PvP servers with 2 variations...

1. The one everyone is right now, 24/7 PvP on (nightriding allowed etc etc etc)

2. New PvP server with time restrictions  to PvP and certain rules. (no damage to structures or anchored ships for certain period of time , usually during nighttime)

You would find me in the 2 type of server with a lot of people (hey even old friends would play again)...

But everyone knows that nothing will be done.

2 minutes ago, Mkgego said:

You know how I would solve this problem ?

2 PvP servers with 2 variations...

1. The one everyone is right now, 24/7 PvP on (nightriding allowed etc etc etc)

2. New PvP server with time restrictions  to PvP and certain rules. (no damage to structures or anchored ships for certain period of time , usually during nighttime)

You would find me in the 2 type of server with a lot of people (hey even old friends would play again)...

But everyone knows that nothing will be done.

Hmmm so you want to split the player base up even more lol yea that's probably not a good idea. Instead how about he Devs start balancing the game out and fix the bugs, exploits and start banning the hackers that are caught. Would also be nice to put an end to the duping that has been going on aswell. I think those are more important than adding another server at the moment. 

Just now, labatts said:

Hmmm so you want to split the player base up even more lol yea that's probably not a good idea. Instead how about he Devs start balancing the game out and fix the bugs, exploits and start banning the hackers that are caught. Would also be nice to put an end to the duping that has been going on aswell. I think those are more important than adding another server at the moment. 

At least they wouldn´t leave ><  , you know there are more games out there, once you loose a player it is hard that he will come back so yeah, I would split the playerbase instead of risking the numbers of going further down.

Bad reviews also don´t help people to buy the game(not my case), especially when you enter the official forums and see 2312 topics of the same thing...

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=atlas

14 minutes ago, Mkgego said:

At least they wouldn´t leave ><  , you know there are more games out there, once you loose a player it is hard that he will come back so yeah, I would split the playerbase instead of risking the numbers of going further down.

Bad reviews also don´t help people to buy the game(not my case), especially when you enter the official forums and see 2312 topics of the same thing...

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=atlas

You are a fool to think that everyone is leaving because of offline raiding. Like I have previously said there are several reasons for why people are leaving, and making another server will not help. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, labatts said:

I disagree there are way to many other issues wrong with this game. Bugs, exploits, hacks, and the list goes on. 

And still the only thing which makes me think about leaving the game is the lack of defensives against offline raiding. And I've played against hackers too.

Bugs and exploits will be fixed.  

21 minutes ago, Willard said:

And still the only thing which makes me think about leaving the game is the lack of defensives against offline raiding. And I've played against hackers too.

Bugs and exploits will be fixed.  

You clearly only care about what you want and to make it known to everyone that you want things a certain way or else. I am just pointing out that people have been leaving the game for many reasons but you wanna keep beating a dead horse over just 1. Anyways I dont care if you leave or not. 

This is very strange, @labatts seems to be in the minority of comments asking for the game to remain as is. It seems that the majority of comments i've read are in favour of some form of ORP.
To this end I have suggested to the devs a possible method of reducing offline raiding, that will also keep those who wish to offline raid on their toes.

What the current game needs is for the players to get reputations, based on their actions, and for there to be an NPC Royal Navy (Police). Then for those players that like offline raiding and attacking targets that they are not in an official declared WAR with, they would get a worse reputation. If they are seen on the seas by the NPC royal Navy they will be attacked.

The Royal Navy should (like the Ships of the damned), come in various sized ships. But the Royal navy unlike the ships of the damned should only attack ships with players on that have a poor reputation. Therefore if the player with the bad reputation jumped overboard the Navy ship would target on the player with the poor reputation and not continue after the ship.

At the end of the day, why penalise the crew mates when maybe only one person has been raiding.

Obviously the worse the reputation the longer the aggro range of the NPC royal Navy should be.

Reputation should not reset when you die, but should only reset when you die of old age or fountain of youth regen. To regain your reputation, you should get a reputation increase for every game Month that you don't attack someone. The worse your reputation the longer it takes to get rid of it. This would force more official wars to be fought, and get rid of a lot of the offline raiding.

In addition we should have Law enforcers walking around the Free ports. Which would then attempt to arrest law breakers as detected.

If arrested, the criminal would  only be released by the Law enforcers on receipt of a substantial fine. The amount would be based on the level of their reputation.
Once the fine is paid they would lose  approx 50% of their reputation, and a 30 minute armistice would be granted, before the law enforcer would be allowed to recapture the assailant, giving them enough time to finish their business in Freeport, and leave the area.

Payment of the fine should be in person (i.e. a crew mate from the same company would have to physically attend a freeport Naval Office to make the payment). In the event that the perpetrator is a solo player, there should be the option to be released,and to bring the payment to the enforcers within a time limit (lets say 1 hour). Failure to make the payment will double the fine, and increase the negative reputation substantially.

You could also have a Law Enforcer on board the Royal Naval ships, that could arrest the assailant at sea, and take them to the nearest Freeport for detention, until the fine is paid.

This would greatly reduce the amount of offline raiding that occurred.

At all times the reputation of a player should be visible, as per the current char/company name.

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/forums/topic/46983-royal-navy-npc-law-reputation-enforcement/&amp;page=0#comment-249657

By implementing this system it still allows for offline raiding but at a much higher risk to the attacker.

If players like @labatts what to offline raid """In the name of PVP""" then i say go for it, but remember every action has it consequence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow @labatts , you responded in less than 30 seconds. Do you even bother reading content, or do you just disagree with every comment thats not yours. SAD!!

EOC.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Critor said:

This is very strange, @labatts seems to be in the minority of comments asking for the game to remain as is. It seems that the majority of comments i've read are in favour of some form of ORP.
To this end I have suggested to the devs a possible method of reducing offline raiding, that will also keep those who wish to offline raid on their toes.

By implementing this system it still allows for offline raiding but at a much higher risk to the attacker.

If players like @labatts what to offline raid """In the name of PVP""" then i say go for it, but remember every action has it consequence.

So first of all lets point out that If you have read my posts then you would have clearly seen I have no issue with offline raid protection where things take less damage. I am strongly against if a company is offline they take no damage.  As for people that offline raid more power to them I do not care its part of the game. I am all for the reputation idea and would go even 1 step more to making it so they couldnt use markets once added in the freeport area but have to use a chaos market at more risk. 

5 minutes ago, Critor said:

Wow @labatts , you responded in less than 30 seconds. Do you even bother reading content, or do you just disagree with every comment thats not yours. SAD!!

EOC.

Once again you have not read my posts if you think i disagree with everything lol. You are obviously triggered go get some fresh air bud.

Edited by labatts

When people see the words PVP, they always immediately go into the "destroy everything" frenzy. From all the content i have read from both players and devs, it seems to me that the intention of this game WAS to be more of an immersive action, adventure, PvPvE experience. More akin to an Imagined real life survival than the shallow PVP kill everyone ""If your not in my clan you die"" neanderthal game play that most survival games have become. 
This game has become about merging tribes to get the biggest army going and dominating the biggest amount of area, rather than aiming at its full potential of becoming a kick arse trading game, with missions, dangers and of course PVP. At the end of the day who doesn't like a massive sea battle.
What a majority of players that i have spoken to object to (irrespective of clan size), is farming all evening to build a ship, only to then come on the next day to find it burned out and scuttled in harbour. Kill it at sea by all means.

You mentioned about building ship houses to protect the ships, but all this does is make the game immersion worse, as we now have to sail around looking at hundreds of square boxes all over the map; and cause more lag on the server due to the increased number of buildings required to protect everything.
Smaller clans are always at the disadvantage, as trying to keep a ship alive, and trying to also farm for protection for that ship is almost impossible. In the limited game time that most people have, due to family life and work commitments.
if ... the devs want to maximise the number of players online, and make this game more fun for the majority, there has to be a balance.  Offline raiding protection for at least ships will allow for better game play, and more sea battles. It will Increase player counts, as less people will rage quit (Who doesn't love spending all their game time chopping trees and rocks), and allow for smaller tribes to remain as smaller nomadic tribes as they wish to be, and not get forced to merge with bigger tribes to survive.

This game is not all about PVP, it has to be a balance to be truly great.

Edited by Critor

2 minutes ago, Critor said:

When people see the words PVP, they always immediately go into the "destroy everything" frenzy. From all the content i have read from both players and devs, it seems to me that the intention of this game WAS to be more of an immersive action, adventure, PvPvE experience. More akin to an Imagined real life survival than the shallow PVP kill everyone ""If your not in my clan you die"" neanderthal game play that most survival games have become. 
This game has become about merging tribes to get the biggest army going and dominating the biggest amount of area, rather than aiming at its full potential of becoming a kick arse trading game, with missions, dangers and of course PVP. At the end of the day who doesn't like a massive sea battle.
What a majority of players that i have spoken to object to (irrespective of clan size), is farming all evening to build a ship, only to then come on the next day to find it burned out and scuttled in harbour. Kill it at sea by all means.

You mentioned about building ship houses to protect the ships, but all this does is make the game immersion worse, as we now have to sail around looking at hundreds of square boxes all over the map; and cause more lag on the server due to the increased number of buildings required to protect everything.
Smaller clans are always at the disadvantage, as trying to keep a ship alive, and trying to also farm for protection for that ship is almost impossible. In the limited game time that most people have, due to family life and work commitments.
if ... the devs want to maximise the number of players online, and make this game more fun for the majority, there has to be a balance.  Offline raiding protection for at least ships will allow for better game play, and more sea battles. It will Increase player counts, as less people will rage quit (Who doesn't love spending all their game time chopping trees and rocks), and allow for smaller tribes to remain as smaller nomadic tribes as they wish to be, and not get forced to merge with bigger tribes to survive.

This game is about territory control. And not everyone goes around killing everyone not in their company. I have seen lots of companies not allied together get along and this was on a lawless server. This game isn't suppose to be just about sea battles there is suppose to be land battles as well it should be like 50/50. Like I previously said there should be offline mechanic that makes ships and buildings more resistant to damage when the company is all offline but not totally immune. This game is built for larger companies its not suppose to be easy for solo players where wold the challenge be then, and by making it easy for solo players you make it 10 times easier for larger ones as well.  Also that is why they have 2 servers one PVE and PVP your probably going to get the 'kick ass trading game' you want in the PVE. But yes on the PVP server it is mainly about PVP lol. 

You completely missed the point, and if that is what  the devs think too, then so have they. This game is not about PVP its about PvPvE. Stop trying to make it like every other dead arse bullshit PVP survival game, that goes down the plughole the same way all the rest do. 
To make this game SUCCESSFUL it needs to be about balance.

I have no problems  with fighting other players, I do it everyday and enjoy it.

As I said its about balance. I lost over 30 members  of my company (we still have plenty left btw), simply because this game is a constant PVP to PVP to PVP to PVP. There is no let up.

You enjoy playing that way, but the majority dont. Hense why over 500,000 player bought the game and there are only around 10-12000 MAX playing at its busiest time, now the game is a few weeks in. 

If you want a game that eventually will become 2 massive tribes fighting each other or against a few Noobs,. then great have fun. Just remember to turn the lights out when you end up on your own, as that is the quickest way to kill this game.

This game has the potential to be more than the next in the line of mindless  kill or be killed games.

I dont want to play a trading game on a PVE server, its boring. I want to play an action adventure trading exploration and conquest game on a PvPvE servers.

There doesnt need to be a them and us situation (i.e. your PVP or PVE, Choose one). The game play/mechanics just need to be adjusted to allow for both.

If we all started to compromise a bit, we would get a great game.

3 minutes ago, Critor said:
3 minutes ago, Critor said:

You completely missed the point, and if that is what  the devs think too, then so have they. This game is not about PVP its about PvPvE. Stop trying to make it like every other dead arse bullshit PVP survival game, that goes down the plughole the same way all the rest do. 
To make this game SUCCESSFUL it needs to be about balance.

I have no problems  with fighting other players, I do it everyday and enjoy it.

As I said its about balance. I lost over 30 members  of my company (we still have plenty left btw), simply because this game is a constant PVP to PVP to PVP to PVP. There is no let up.

You enjoy playing that way, but the majority dont. Hense why over 500,000 player bought the game and there are only around 10-12000 MAX playing at its busiest time, now the game is a few weeks in. 

If you want a game that eventually will become 2 massive tribes fighting each other or against a few Noobs,. then great have fun. Just remember to turn the lights out when you end up on your own, as that is the quickest way to kill this game.

This game has the potential to be more than the next in the line of mindless  kill or be killed games.

I dont want to play a trading game on a PVE server, its boring. I want to play an action adventure trading exploration and conquest game on a PvPvE servers.

There doesnt need to be a them and us situation (i.e. your PVP or PVE, Choose one). The game play/mechanics just need to be adjusted to allow for both.

If we all started to compromise a bit, we would get a great game.

So you are saying the Devs missed the point to their own game lol. If its not about PVP then why is there two separate servers ? Im not trying to make it into something that it clearly is already. You clearly have the wrong impression of what this game is about. So if you want the PVPVE there are unofficial servers you can play for now but thats all you have. And as for the balance that will hopefully come in the future its still early EA give it time. 

Yes, that is exactly what i am saying, and so are alot of other people. Devs dont always get it right. Hense why they release games as Early Access.

Just because someone comes up with a great concept , doesn't mean that you dont take on board other peoples ideas. Thats one of the main principals of business. Do your Market research, and adjust the product to best suit the largest target market. No company can ever succeed on the back of just one person. 

They have the opportunity to make something that can last and be a trully fun game. It really depends now on whether they are open to listening, or narrow minde and inwardly looking.

Unfortunately, after watching the last town hall they did, it get the feeling that they are being run by a bunch of geek programmers who like mindless PVP and grieving. They need to start focusing on the Lore, play-ability, and mass appeal. Rather than just Trolling, Grieving and killing.

Look, we have a different idea of what makes a great game.  We are probably both right, for our own gaming style. I just think that they have the opportunity here to make something completely different to the normal MMO FPS PVP BS that is so frequently made these days.

This game was sold to me as EVE meets ARK. So far ive seen the ARK, now its time to start seeing the EVE.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Critor said:

Yes, that is exactly what i am saying, and so are alot of other people. Devs dont always get it right. Hense why they release games as Early Access.

Just because someone comes up with a great concept , doesn't mean that you dont take on board other peoples ideas. Thats one of the main principals of business. Do your Market research, and adjust the product to best suit the largest target market. No company can ever succeed on the back of just one person. 

They have the opportunity to make something that can last and be a trully fun game. It really depends now on whether they are open to listening, or narrow minde and inwardly looking.

Unfortunately, after watching the last town hall they did, it get the feeling that they are being run by a bunch of geek programmers who like mindless PVP and grieving. They need to start focusing on the Lore, play-ability, and mass appeal. Rather than just Trolling, Grieving and killing.

Look, we have a different idea of what makes a great game.  We are probably both right, for our own gaming style. I just think that they have the opportunity here to make something completely different to the normal MMO FPS PVP BS that is so frequently made these days.

This game was sold to me as EVE meets ARK. So far ive seen the ARK, now its time to start seeing the EVE.

If they want to reach something as half as deep as eve was when i stopped playing in 2014, they eventually will have to give up most of the hardcore survival stuff. The reason is pretty simple, you can't babysit your online crap 24 hours a day for weeks or months, because it's impossible even for those who have the time and are willing to commit to do that. 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, Critor said:

No. PVP means PVP and PVE means PVE. Do not conflate the two.

The vast majority of players that join PVP servers do so with the intention and aim of fighting other players, this blood lust is what drives them and motivates them to play on such servers. This game isn't some simple PVP game like say Counter Strike where you play for 10 minutes kill a few people and then the game resets. Games like Atlas and ARK have a lot more depth and require more long term planning especially at the higher levels in order to be dominant. You may view someone that goes around and sinks all your ships and deletes all your tames as a "griefer/troll/nasty/evil" whatever player but in reality its a strategic move to weaken and eliminate you.

When it comes to offline protection history has proven that its a terrible idea that will never work. On paper it sounds great just like socialism but its a disaster in reality. It has been tried in many games before and never works. They tried it in ARK it failed there as well and it will fail in Atlas too if added. All it does is create more issues then it solves. It results in exploitative PVE pockets in PVP zones which throws off the balance and in particular the raiding/loot system.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 2:30 AM, Zlax said:

The devs should take a long hard look at how eve did this and make an atlas appropiate version

This game is not and never will be Eve online.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sand man said:

This game is not and never will be Eve online.

Exactly. They are nothing alike. You simply can't transplant some mechanic from a game that is completely different and expect it to work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Force said:

Exactly. They are nothing alike. You simply can't transplant some mechanic from a game that is completely different and expect it to work.

Which part of me saying "atlas appropiate version" says, copy paste?

Just now, Zlax said:

Which part of me saying "atlas appropiate version" says, copy paste?

It's rather irrelevant. This whole idea of adding offline protection is against the spirit and nature of the game. It was a failure when tried in ARK it will be the same with Atlas. A broken idea is a broken idea no matter how you dress it up. It doesn't get any better.

• Like 1

Just now, Bullet Force said:

It's rather irrelevant. This whole idea of adding offline protection is against the spirit and nature of the game. It was a failure when tried in ARK it will be the same with Atlas. A broken idea is a broken idea no matter how you dress it up. It doesn't get any better.

I never advocated for ORP did I ? I said, look at how EVE dealt with this and do an ATLAS appropiate version.

1 minute ago, Zlax said:

I never advocated for ORP did I ? I said, look at how EVE dealt with this and do an ATLAS appropiate version.

EVE is a completely different game. It's mechanics are not suitable for a game like Atlas and ARK.

31 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

EVE is a completely different game. It's mechanics are not suitable for a game like Atlas and ARK.

Having lawless zones work like low sec in EVE would help ALOT of the small companies out, adding a reputation system for attacking random players would go along way aswell, you wanna offline random people all the time? Fine go ahead, but now your locked out of going to freeports and lawless zones (yes the wording on lawless would have to change then) and then add 2-3 pirate coves around the map thats basically freeports but for people with bad rep.

Now all of a sudden there is a consequense to randomly burning ships and being a big bad pirate.

Now lets let companies declare war on eachother to negate the rep loss, with a timer obviously so that just meeting some random company and declaring war instantly wont help prevent it (like 12 hour to start a war, and mutual agreement to end it).

The problem is that currently there are ZERO ingame consequenses for being a dick, and thus the internet WILL be a dick.

Also, I have zero idea how to do it so that it fits thematically, but having some claims become "city" claims, and working like the siege menchanic in EVE, where you first shoot down the bubble and then after a set time you can actually siege the base underneath. This will provide real PVP action instead of the current pseudo pvp that happens. Maybe via the mythic and then having a town hall building that requires mythic upkeep to keep the city defended.

And then limit it to having 1 city claim pr island, and/or have an exponential cost assiciated with having more cities.

Edited by Zlax
  • Like 1

This game was sold to us as an MMO with PVP. Not a survival 24/7 AKA rust or ARK. If I wanted to play a survival game I would play one of those. This is why people are in here

• Like 2

Let just time to all trash player who only PVP for PVP because they can't do something other to PVP offline put all other player out of this game. After this they will go to an other game and this can start to be playable.

The developers can not take the responsibility of making a balance game if the players just want to break it and if it's the major part of the active players.

You can go for PVE and you lost major part of the game it's bad.

• Confused 1