Pizik

realism Coast too deep or draft to shallow?

I was thinking about how ships in the real world work and was wondering if IRL you could really park a large ship like a Brig or a Gally so close to land. As I understand it IRL most of these large ships had to visit designated ports or deep water harbours; otherwise their crew would launch a dinghy to get to shore. I rarely see these being used on big ships and I guess the reason is they are pointless.

Is the draft of the ships too shallow or is the near-shore too deep? I have yet to see a Galleon abandoned because the crew beached it ^.^

Just now, Pizik said:

I was thinking about how ships in the real world work and was wondering if IRL you could really park a large ship like a Brig or a Gally so close to land. As I understand it IRL most of these large ships had to visit designated ports or deep water harbours; otherwise their crew would launch a dinghy to get to shore. I rarely see these being used on big ships and I guess the reason is they are pointless.

Is the draft of the ships too shallow or is the near-shore too deep? I have yet to see a Galleon abandoned because the crew beached it ^.^

they get too close yes. The part that is actually in the water, is way more deeper in there irl. But I get they did it this way since nobody want’s to dingy all the time. 

But I get they did it this way since nobody want’s to dingy all the time. 

I would rather they had to. It would make an interesting show as crews rowed thousands of weight in resource back and forth 😄

3 minutes ago, Pizik said:

I would rather they had to. It would make an interesting show as crews rowed thousands of weight in resource back and forth 😄

Ye thats what I don’t like haha. We have a weight schooner that takes the weight off of our weight galleons. saves a lot of time. 

The height map data and constraints used to generate the terrain would become a much bigger issue if they were to change buoyancy or mooring in the name of realism. There are so many unrealistic random peaks, points, drop offs, and sharp edges that would need to be normalized first. Which would most likely require a wipe because what happens if people had already built on these problem areas and suddenly your sandbar homestead support is 15meters below sea level. The Dingy would be the least of your problems.

The alternative would be to just fake it, cut corners, and add some sort of "too shallow to drop anchor" restriction.

Just now, Nari said:

The height map data and constraints used to generate the terrain would become a much bigger issue if they were to change buoyancy or mooring in the name of realism. There are so many unrealistic random peaks, points, drop offs, and sharp edges that would need to be normalized first. Which would most likely require a wipe because what happens if people had already built on these problem areas and suddenly your sandbar homestead support is 15meters below sea level. The Dingy would be the least of your problems.

The alternative would be to just fake it, cut corners, and add some sort of "too shallow to drop anchor" restriction.

Probably a new wipe map when the game comes out with 700 islands that are actually unique, with different coasts etc. 

2 hours ago, Pizik said:

I have seen a few wrecks because of this last part.... 

And they do have different drafts.. it may not seem like it but they do.  I can take my Sloop over some very shallow areas when my Schooner would get stuck or the Brigantine or Galleon.

I would love to see the use of dinghy more but honestly I doubt that will happen... not many people are going to RP like that.  

Edited by Hodo

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

I have seen a few wrecks because of this last part.... 

And they do have different drafts.. it may not seem like it but they do.  I can take my Sloop over some very shallow areas when my Schooner would get stuck or the Brigantine or Galleon.

I would love to see the use of dinghy more but honestly I doubt that will happen... not many people are going to RP like that.  

Plus the dingy only carries 600 weight total.

Literally useless unless they make it carry the same as the boat it's attached to.

If not, then everyone just swims instead of sinking that POS.

I wouldn't mind a sea anchor part usable on the galleon and maybe the brig to allow you to anchor in deep water without needing to risk going in to shore that can beach you in order to anchor the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Senkoau said:

I wouldn't mind a sea anchor part usable on the galleon...

I like the idea of this. Deep water anchors so you can actually moor offshore. Nice 😄

11 minutes ago, Pizik said:

I like the idea of this. Deep water anchors so you can actually moor offshore. Nice 😄

Thanks, I know I'd feel a lot safer on the bigger ships being able to drop anchor and moor them in deeper water then swim/take a dinghy/company memeber with a smaller ship into the shallower waters. Sure you may have to deal with sharks/manta ray's but at least your expensive ship is safe from running onto a nearly hidden sand bar or rock. Even if for balance reasons it doesn't protect against SotD or cyclones I'd take it over the current need to cautiously edge in with a person swimming underneath to warn you if there's a sudden shoal ahead. Some areas are a really steep drop off that goes from can't anchor to beached in an instant, especially with the anchor at the rear.

Edited by Senkoau

11 hours ago, Percieval said:

Probably a new wipe map when the game comes out with 700 islands that are actually unique, with different coasts etc. 

Yeah game is already 100gb imagine if they had 700 unique islands 😉

Would be nice tho. 

Edited by Caldrin

16 minutes ago, Caldrin said:

Yeah game is already 100gb imagine if they had 700 unique islands 😉

Would be nice tho. 

Doesn’t matter to me. Everything can be optimized. 

and yeah i like the idea of deep sea anchor , the thing i dread when exploring new islands is at times it goes from deep to shallow really really fast, or there is huge stone sticking up you dont see unless its huge waves or you are almost top of them , then maybe the dingy actually would be of use 😛

I'll give you guys a handy secret. go in your keybindings and remap your selfie cam perspective(right Alt) to your left alt(which by default is on that atrocious auto aim that i assume youve already disabled...so you wont miss it), and now...as youre getting close you can press Alt and zoom in and out with mouse wheel to see WAY outside your boat and  where, if anything is around you. When you release it goes back to normal camera. You could also press K, but that one is a toggle for it and not as handy.  With it on left Alt that leaves my hand resting right by the sail controls and the anchor key(X is the default key, which you can just spam furiously at any speed and as soon as the anchor icon shows up your boat will come to a full stop). 
I used to be so slow and cautious about anchoring for the same reasons as you guys, but now i just use selfie cam mode and whip up on any shore and slam x to be docked in no time.