Anyone having issues getting their server to update to 16.34 .

Running steam update and it tells me i am up to date at 16.33

Yep, same here - my server is at 16.33, and seems to think it's fully up to date.

The client only updates to 16.31, but maybe that's planned.

Ever since that update, by the way, we can't connect to our dedicated server... It asks for the password, but immediately gives a Host Pending Connection Timeout when we try to log on.

Everything worked fine yesterday, and the only thing we did since then was update.

This sucks 🙁

Edited by Vincula

I also have the issue, my server goes to 16.33 and 4 of my players (myself included) cannot even get our clients past 16.31, so all unable to play..... GG Grapeshot, turn your copy/paste of Ark into an even worse version

• Haha 1

I see there is a server update this morning (well, it's that end of the day where I am, anyway).

Hopefully, that will fix the issue... I can't check until I get home later today; I only have access to the server from work, not my client machine.

10 hours ago, Calucifer said:

GG Grapeshot, turn your copy/paste of Ark into an even worse version

That happens every once in a while... It did with ARK too; most often in the early days. Usually, though, one of their 27 unannounced daily patches will fix anything at some point, given enough time 😛

Granted; these guys have a pretty damn alternative approach to creating a video game, but at least they usually keep working at it like a bunch of highly enthusiastic hyperactive ants on crack until it works (unlike a LOT of other developers, who publish grand-looking plans right up until they've sold enough copies, at which point the game is reduced to a defective Pacman clone and nothing ever happens again). It might not always work during development, and it's next to impossible to get any sort of information out of the devs even on updates that have been rolled out, but at least they actually seem to be putting in the hours, just like they did with ARK.

To be fair, I think they have learned from the ARK development, but most of it's about how stuff works in-game. For example, creating buildings in ARK, especially in the early versions, was... Let's just call it "challenging" and leave it at that. Contrast with how that works in ATLAS from the get-go (i.e., better than it ever did in ARK, even after numerous improvements); it seems they did learn their lessons there.

As for the community communication skills; not so much, but nobody is perfect 😀

Nope, still not working. (But not entirely working either.)

Atlas client still v. 16.31, dedicated server v. 16.39.

Are the rest of you up and running, or are you also still getting that annoying timeout?

Update: Okay, I did some testing, and an ominous pattern emerged... It seems I can actually join any server - except any server on which I have an existing character.

Apart from the fact that we never had the usual kick/server crash that usually seems to set this off, this is beginning to sound an awful lot like something I heard about while reseaching this problem.

I think I remember that the fix in that case was given as "delete your character", but I hope I'm wrong.

I'll research it some more, test, and update again.

Edited by Vincula
Update

Minor versions can connect with each other. Doesn't matter if your client is 16.99 and the server is 16.00. You can still connect to it. Major version are what prevents you from being able to connect, such as v15.14 client and v16.39 Server. Also unofficial servers usually lag behind in terms of patches. They don't always push the minor updates to unofficial servers right away.

21 hours ago, Calucifer said:

I also have the issue, my server goes to 16.33 and 4 of my players (myself included) cannot even get our clients past 16.31, so all unable to play..... GG Grapeshot, turn your copy/paste of Ark into an even worse version

Don't blame Grapeshot for your user error. Minor version differences are all able to connect to each other. 

• Haha 1

Okay, we tried deleting our characters - we did a full reset of all servers - and now everything is working again 😀

It looks like it was the same problem that's already been reported to the devs after server crashes, transfer failures, and updates.

To elaborate: to fix this, we cleared the redis server and deleted the ShooterGame\Saved folder. Yep, it's a restart of your pirating career, but at least you can play again.

Luckily, we've found a quick and easy way of distributing changes to the .ini files to all 225 save folders ahead of time, so the only thing we need to do now is to put on the tricorn hats and eyepatches and make the seas unsafe once again.

Sigh. Our brand new brigantine... Oh, well.

Yarr, maties... Hope this is useful to someone else as well!

2 hours ago, Sakura said:

Minor versions can connect with each other. Doesn't matter if your client is 16.99 and the server is 16.00. You can still connect to it. Major version are what prevents you from being able to connect, such as v15.14 client and v16.39 Server. Also unofficial servers usually lag behind in terms of patches. They don't always push the minor updates to unofficial servers right away.

Don't blame Grapeshot for your user error. Minor version differences are all able to connect to each other. 

But they are to blame whent the fault is with them and not us. Minor, yes, but with the amount of changes that were between the patches it was hardly minor.

12 hours ago, Sakura said:

It's not exactly a game-breaker when there is a known and working fix available, I would agree to that.

But since this problem isn't actually caused by user error (at least not according to anything I've seen from devs or other users), and the only known solution so far is to basically kill everything with fire and start over from scratch, it's not exactly in the "working perfectly" category either... Especially not for a game where progress requires such a significant investment of time.

Yes, I know it's still in (very) early release, that problems and bugs are virtually guaranteed at this stage, and that you should always expect to have to reset occasionally due to updates and changes. I usually don't get scared away from a game just because of stuff like this (I'd even go so far as to say that I enjoy a good problem)... But I do get a bit worried that the less forgiving users probably outnumber me rather massively, and if things like this happens too often, a lot of them might give up on the game, which could end up burying it.

I fully agree with your basic message, which is - if you'll allow some interpretation on my part - to just leave Grapeshot be and let them get on with it, instead of whining our asses off at any given opportunity. But no matter what you or I think, the fact is that Grapeshot will be blamed for this by a lot of users, because Internet "logic" dictates that if you get a sudden problem, and you did not make any changes beforehand, then it's always the developers' fault - especially if this happens just after an update.

I just hope they get it fixed before it generates too much fallout in the community... I'd hate to see this game die before it's even born.