Sign in to follow this  
Tezcatlipoca

Weight Sails

The weight sails need a revision. I built a brig with 3 weight sails as a cargo ship. The ship is so infinitely slow already with a load of about 70% load capacity that I would have been faster with 3 speed sails and 85% capacity at the end. The bonus of the sails is not so big, that at the end, although slower, but only one tour would have to do.

Weight sails add weight capacity and help it travel with weight...in theory. 

Weight sails as a whole do not have the same speed bonuses, so no matter what they are very slow going. Just add levels and add them to weight. The faster the ship moves the quicker it levels up.

On a galleon, weight sails only add 1100.  The DESIGN behind them is probably fine, it's just that the number you get is worthless.  a 3% weight increase (10% if you build 3 sails) isn't worth sacrificing 10-20% of your sail force.

Please consider just buffing the amount they let you hold.

Weight sails should work differently, for example, to reduce the penalty on the speed of the ship depending on the weight.

Edited by KNZVgame

8 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

On a galleon, weight sails only add 1100.  The DESIGN behind them is probably fine, it's just that the number you get is worthless.  a 3% weight increase (10% if you build 3 sails) isn't worth sacrificing 10-20% of your sail force.

I have no numbers, but it feels slower than handling sails...

Just now, KNZVgame said:

Weight sails should work differently, for example, to reduce the penalty on the speed of the ship depending on the weight.

That sounds like a good usecase. Same speed like a handling sail but a large reduction of the weight penalty.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca

Me and the company sailed on 2 brigs to carry over metal. One had 2 speed/1 handling and I had 3 weight and about 75% carry weight each. The weight sails were worthless and I fell behind significantly. They got back to the base and ported over, built a loom on the ship, demoed the weight sails and made speed sails.

Honestly they should just remove Weight Sails and add a weight increase to Handling Sails.

speed sails are just far and away the best. ships of the damned do not have to cope with wind so having sails with a cool bonus to wind direction are meaningless.

speed sails let you smoothly get away, they make your cargo move faster and your adventures occur faster.

Manoever sails should either go a tad faster or make your boat turn much better. even to the point that you can swing and avoid a cannon volley.

weight sails are horrible. they should increase your ship weight by a percentage (a chunky one) AND they should let you suffer near 90 percent encumbrance before you get the 75 percent penalty.

Here these two videos that will answer all of your questions.

• Like 1