Tikar

Will Atlas make the same mistake as retail WoW?

Description of Atlas on steam: " ATLAS: The ultimate survival MMO of unprecedented scale"

For those who dont know, MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online

Captains log 19 states:

"This means we’re going to be changing core systems to ensure that those who ... play in small groups or as solo players are still able to experience the highs seas of ATLAS.

I cant believe that wildcard studio, who delivered two of the most epic games of all time, ARK and Atlas, wants to change core mechanics of an MMO of unprecedented scale so that SOLO players can experience the lategame. This is absolutely absurd.

Multiplayer games are not ment to be played by solo players, period! Just make some goddamn singleplayer game for these people, but dont ruin an epic MMO. Do not follow the retail WoW path!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 4

Yes, WoW failed because solo players were able to enjoy it. Oh wai...

Please stop confusing massively multiplayer online for massively cooperative multiplayer online. Just because some people play solo doesn't mean they play singleplayer and do not interact with other players. There are many ways of interaction besides cooperation. 

MMO been there for more than twenty years now, and absolute majority of them tried to make solo experience possible and enjoyable. You are not in position to bend the definition of a MMO to your liking.

Edited by LaiTash
  • Like 8

I did both raiding prior and solo'd last season in WOW..

The most fun I had was soloing.  Too much stress and pressure to keep jumping through the hoops and hurdles thrown at you by the devs and boss mechanics, which has to be done in a particular order, in a set way, and with a set level of gear.   When something is that artificial and encounters are so blindly scripted with no 'intelligence' then it kills immersion.  I prefer AI, I prefer autonomy, and I like the choice to not be locked out of game mechanics because I'm the only one that has a job that allows me to stay up until 2am on Atlas.

Games are for fun, not a second job.

• Like 1

Most MMOs have tons of solo players. 

Many people just don't want to spend their free time listening to a group of people squeal for hours. 

• Like 3

I would just like to know more details because usually making things easier for solo players and small companies also makes it even easier for the mega companies. How are they gonna separate it so it doesn't  benefit the huge companies more ??

Yes Blizzard destroyed the difficulty of their game to open it for casuals who brings more money then hardcore gamer.

But you can't compare WoW with Atlas. The endgame of WoW is an closed instance, set to an specific number of Players in an raidgroup. The Endcontent of Atlas is an open World, so companies and soloplayer can cooperate to deal with it.

People exists who dont wanna be peons in some mega company. It's still an pirate game and as pirate you shouldn't be forced to do anything you won't like

1 hour ago, Vorxius said:

I did both raiding prior and solo'd last season in WOW..

The most fun I had was soloing.  Too much stress and pressure to keep jumping through the hoops and hurdles thrown at you by the devs and boss mechanics, which has to be done in a particular order, in a set way, and with a set level of gear.   When something is that artificial and encounters are so blindly scripted with no 'intelligence' then it kills immersion.  I prefer AI, I prefer autonomy, and I like the choice to not be locked out of game mechanics because I'm the only one that has a job that allows me to stay up until 2am on Atlas. 

Games are for fun, not a second job.

For player like you, there is no difference between playing dark souls or a multiplayer game. So what is the point of making a game multiplayer then? If it can be enjoyd the same way as  a singleplayer game...

with all respect. you cant compare wow with atlas.

wow was from vanilla to bfa solo friendly(yes 5man dungeons are solo friendly) so thats not an argument. a casual is not always a solo player. todays wow sucks because many many terrible design decisions like flying mounts, raidfinder and sharding/phasing.

Edited by TheCoolGuy

I don't see Atlas getting anywhere near the place that WOW was at that it could make those mistakes.

I see Atlas being a failed effort like Dark and Light.  They released something looked... pretty good and then fucked it up with every patch, until finally giving up on it when noone was interested in it anymore

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tikar said:

Description of Atlas on steam: " ATLAS: The ultimate survival MMO of unprecedented scale"

It doesn't mean I have to associate with a single one of them.  😄  All it means is that there are/will be a lot of players online.  It doesn't say MMOWGIM - Massively Multiplayer Online Where Grouping Is Mandatory - so I'll play the way I want to play, not the way you think everyone should play.  Bore off mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tikar said:

Captains log 19 states:

"This means we’re going to be changing core systems to ensure that those who ... play in small groups or as solo players are still able to experience the highs seas of ATLAS.

I cant believe that wildcard studio, who delivered two of the most epic games of all time, ARK and Atlas, wants to change core mechanics of an MMO of unprecedented scale so that SOLO players can experience the lategame. This is absolutely absurd.

Multiplayer games are not ment to be played by solo players, period! Just make some goddamn singleplayer game for these people, but dont ruin an epic MMO. Do not follow the retail WoW path!

Are you mentally challenged ? Or just trolling ? (can't tell these days if somebody is braindead or he is actually trying to troll)

MMO = does not mean 100000 man tribes/ companies. MMO = lots of player in the same area / region / map / content. 

MMO does not mean you have 1000 man tribes, it does not mean you don't have tribes, it means it allows for a large number of players to be in the same area.

MMO = TERA, WOW, Black desert, etc etc. Lots of games allow a large number of players, IT DOES NOT MEAN they are ment to play in the same tribe or large tribes!

Playing as a solo player DOES NOT MEAN you are isolated from the MMO world. You can trade / fight / build / etc as a 1 man or a small group. Learn the difference and stop trolling. Nobody is forcing you to play solo or in small tribes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tikar said:

For player like you, there is no difference between playing dark souls or a multiplayer game. So what is the point of making a game multiplayer then? If it can be enjoyd the same way as  a singleplayer game...

You are confusing massively multiplayer with team only. The point of making something massively multiplayer is not to require that people become part of a clan or large clan, but that they become part of a massive online world populated by many players instead of a singleplayer world populated purely by AI NPC's. One need not ever join a clan to fully engage the MMO genre.  I don't think you should worry that Atlas won't continue to support and incentivize being part of a large clan, or did you not notice that at the same time they announced these change goals, they also announced unique ship bowsprits for the top 5 clans on each official server? 

Perhaps you just choose to willfully ignore said information in order to grind a particular axe you enjoy grinding rather than viewing the information more objectively.

• Like 6

I hate that most MMOs now are catering to solo players... especially in games like this where teamwork should be the key to success.   Not some dreamscape where you can build your own castle become the king of your one man nation and be unstoppable because you never login to be attacked by anyone.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

there are clearly things that solo players won't experience, but ther eshould be alternate ways for them to find enjoyment and interact with mechanics.

maybe most solo players won't use a galleon, at least not without hiring a huge npc crew, but they can still pirate adventure.

for example lets say they gate tarot behind killing the kraken, they could make an alternate, "sail all over the place" method of unlocking it for solobros. this could clearly be more time consuming but it could let them enjoy the game.

1 minute ago, Defixio said:

there are clearly things that solo players won't experience, but ther eshould be alternate ways for them to find enjoyment and interact with mechanics.

maybe most solo players won't use a galleon, at least not without hiring a huge npc crew, but they can still pirate adventure.

for example lets say they gate tarot behind killing the kraken, they could make an alternate, "sail all over the place" method of unlocking it for solobros. this could clearly be more time consuming but it could let them enjoy the game.

Please, most solo players have built galleons and lost them already and cried on these very forums about how hard this game is.   That is why the developers are going to make it even easier for them to make them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I hate that most MMOs now are catering to solo players...

What do you mean NOW? I've been playing these games since you could play them via telnet client and they've been catering to solo players even then. 

2 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

What do you mean NOW? I've been playing these games since you could play them via telnet client and they've been catering to solo players even then. 

Not all games... But yes a fair amount have.  And those are the games I just dont play.  I have been playing with the same group of guys/gals for nearly 15 years now... I remember when some them were the annoying kid in comms...  now they are married with kids...  And the thought scares me... because this is the same person who lost his house in a game  because he forgot where he built it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Case of the Scurvy said:

Last i checked wow was massively successful 

Blizzard did the right thing at the right time with WoW.

They put out a game that the casual online gamer can pick up, play, play with friends or alone, and experience a developing story that was immersive and massive.  But unfortunately it came out back when most MMOs were very group oriented... like Everquest, Asherons Call, and Dark Age of Camelot.   

11 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Not all games... But yes a fair amount have.

So can you name me a few of those glorious games of Old that didn't care about solo players?

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

I hate that most MMOs now are catering to solo players... especially in games like this where teamwork should be the key to success.   Not some dreamscape where you can build your own castle become the king of your one man nation and be unstoppable because you never login to be attacked by anyone.  

Sounds like you're looking for a CO-OP game and found Atlas instead.

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

Please, most solo players have built galleons and lost them already and cried on these very forums about how hard this game is.   That is why the developers are going to make it even easier for them to make them.

Not saying I don’t understand where you are coming from, because on a purely philosophical level I don’t care for the game catering to solo either, but there is a hard business reality here. Solo players money is just as green as large clan members, so what any developer in the right mind will do whenever possible is try to make their game appealing to both. 

The single dumbest decision this industry ever made was only marketing to males after ms pac man was a huge early hit with females (see Adam ruins Everything). Any time you arbitrarily cut out half the population from your target marketbyou’re Doing it wrong. The same applies to solo vs group oriented gamers, much as it can be an annoyance in a game clearly designed for large groups. While we’re at it, same reason Atlas has pve, because it’s dumb marketing not to if you can.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LaiTash said:

So can you name me a few of those glorious games of Old that didn't care about solo players?

WWII Online comes to mind.

Neocron 2

Darkfall Online

Mortal Online

Guildwars

even EVE Online doesn't cater to the solo player... good luck getting and operating a titan by yourself... and keeping it long.

58 minutes ago, Jaite said:

Sounds like you're looking for a CO-OP game and found Atlas instead.

Sounds like you have no clue what you are talking about and thought you would show everyone on the forums.

26 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Not saying I don’t understand where you are coming from, because on a purely philosophical level I don’t care for the game catering to solo either, but there is a hard business reality here. Solo players money is just as green as large clan members, so what any developer in the right mind will do whenever possible is try to make their game appealing to both. 

The single dumbest decision this industry ever made was only marketing to males after ms pac man was a huge early hit with females (see Adam ruins Everything). Any time you arbitrarily cut out half the population from your target marketbyou’re Doing it wrong. The same applies to solo vs group oriented gamers, much as it can be an annoyance in a game clearly designed for large groups. While we’re at it, same reason Atlas has pve, because it’s dumb marketing not to if you can.

I agree there is a place for the randoms, but they need to understand their place in the grand scheme of things.  They are not to be the top, but more or less the bottom, where they should stay.   Like in Eve, if you are a single player and you arent in a major corp you will be a no-body and continue to be a non-factor the whole time you play that game.  And will most likely never see the high end ships like Dreadnaughts, Titans, and carriers.   

Personally I think the official servers should cater to the moderate to large companies, let them fight over large amounts of land and try to dominate the world.  If you want to play with a small group of friends, it's not hard to set up a private server with a handful of grids, you can modify the overall strength of the Golden age ruins mobs to make them realistic to fight with a couple people.  It was the same with ARK, if you played solo mode, the game was scaled back to be playable alone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tikar said:

Captains log 19 states:

Lots of people have been asking for an offline mode, like Ark had but the Devs dont listen,, also why should players be forced to play in big groups ?? what bullshit is that.

• Like 1