UDO

PvE Claim Flag concerns with Latest Update

16 minutes ago, Khalista Flintlock said:

take back all the land, demo the remaining resource blocks, walls, large gates, etc
When they logged in to see that we got most of the island and returned it to its former beauty they where so happy.
not a single person that came to visit for more supplies for the home complained about the 30% tax rate
We keep our lands clean, we keep resources spawning
We have open areas of beach so people can make land fall 

So basically you used the chance to salvage a buttload of resources, got a buttload of land, set up the highes possible amount of tax (because it's so hard to make resources spawn)
and didn't even build a dock for everyone to use when they come to "enjoy" your 30% tax and possibly lose their tames due to "move to ship" bug?
Well, at least you keep the resources spawning.
I'm sure all those companies, who were on the island before you and could have done the same if not for you being first to the cake, are very happy for you.

1 minute ago, Icedlance said:

So basically you used the chance to salvage a buttload of resources, got a buttload of land, set up the highes possible amount of tax (because it's so hard to make resources spawn)
and didn't even build a dock for everyone to use when they come to "enjoy" your 30% tax and possibly lose their tames due to "move to ship" bug?
Well, at least you keep the resources spawning.
I'm sure all those companies, who were on the island before you and could have done the same if not for you being first to the cake, are very happy for you.

so salty bro?...... cant find a reason to just enjoy. trolls gonna troll i guess

39 minutes ago, Khalista Flintlock said:

So how about something positive on the whole claim flag. I have almost 400 hours in game (i have a full time job, children, and am a single parent, so be quiet with your excuses), my company(about 10 of us) where on an island that was taken over by several companies of the same size or larger. They had not logged in for quite some time. There was foundation spam, random building not in use, and entire parts of the island blocked off by large stone gates made (pre-stone nerf). 

with the latest update to the claim flag system we where able to take back all the land, demo the remaining resource blocks, walls, large gates, etc. there are still 2 active companies on the island. When they logged in to see that we got most of the island and returned it to its former beauty (removed all spam, all unused buildings, large gates, etc.) they where so happy. Now several companies in the grid have access to metals, sugars, fibers, woods, etc. They couldn't be happier, in addition to that not a single person that came to visit for more supplies for the home complained about the 30% tax rate, as they have been having to go to other grids to find those resources. 

We keep our lands clean, we keep resources spawning, we keep the wildlife cycling, there are always a wide variety of types. We have open areas of beach so people can make land fall and not have to move around walls or dodge 500 ships parked in a cove entirely too small to fit that many. our whole server grid is much better off.

I think this was a great update, and will enable the good land owners to be able to improve the overall use of the island, and the way they tie into the other islands around the area. Soon we will be opening the beach areas to public build, there is plenty of land for people to come and use.

TL:DR
New claim system helped clean an island and improve QOL for our server grid, and people where happy! Also not a large mega company. Trolls 0  -  Company 1

So there's just 2 companies on your island? Shame about all the other players who never get a foothold then, eh. And before you say people can rent - people don't like paying other players in game in PVE, especially when the owner can take the land back at any moment.

I'm all for cleaning up abandoned structures but did you have to claim it all for yourself? And tbh I simply don't believe people were happy to come to your island to farm at 30% in a clean island, they would go to Lawless or freeports with no tax, everything is available there. Freeports are clean land, we don't need players excluding others from playing the game by designating their area another clean area. You are simply trying to put a positive spin on what you know is a far worse system than Ark for the majority of players.

Edited by FruitBatCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since this thread shifted to horror stories:

In our region we have quite a nice neighborhood. There are a lot of active companies, but also some that come and go, so the land keeps cycling. Or at least it used to.
Nowadays we have a lot of tiny companies or solo people come to our region and first thing they do is go around claiming everything they can get their hands on.
There is a company that never once even joined our region-wide greetings exchange, I never once saw any of them on our island, yet every possible place that as kept for ne peopl is now under their control, taxed, and every claim that allows building to everyone is spammed with their buildings at random. I personally only have 3 claims (and one is just a place in the forest I keep so no jerk claims it so they can "keep resources respaning for but a generous 30% tax") and I share the 2 claims on the coast that i live on with 2 other companies, because they can't even get a claim for themselves. Most old companies on our island have under 10 claims and several share it with each other out of necessity now.
The other island in out region is in a similar situation. Several people dropped the game and their land was unanimously kept for new arrivals, but what do you know? There is always some of those "new arrivals" that goes around claiming all they can get, demolishing all the buildings others spend time and effort on building, except for the bank and now that island too is 50% covered by claims of a single person that now just spends a lot of time running laps around the island kkeeping upkeep going.

And yet there are so many very nice companies that don't claim more than they need and are trying to make the island more welcome by building community bridges, ladders, docks and just pleasant to look at towns. hell, 80% of our island used to not have tax.

Only solace for me is I know that assholes usually have short temper and will drop the game sooner rather than later.
</rant>

Edited by Icedlance
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, FruitBatCat said:

So there's just 2 companies on your island? Shame about all the other players who never get a foothold then, eh. And before you say people can rent - people don't like paying other players in game in PVE, especially when the owner can take the land back at any moment.

I'm all for cleaning up abandoned structures but did you have to claim it all for yourself? And tbh I simply don't believe people were happy to come to your island to farm at 30% in a clean island, they would go to Lawless or freeports with no tax, everything is available there. Freeports are clean land, we don't need players excluding others from playing the game by designating their area another clean area. You are simply trying to put a positive spin on what you know is a far worse system than Ark for the majority of players.

I am sorry you feel that way. If you want to go to either place that is fine. Shame on me for playing the game the way it was designed? Sorry not sorry. We are non toxic, friendly welcoming people. you are more than welcome to identify any islands that offer beach front at no cost (aside from taxes), with no worry or risk of loosing it. You are more than welcome to play ARK if in your opinion its worse. Freeport resources are not of much use outside repairs and building parts (walls, floors, etc) we offer usable resources that are not spawn blocked, land that will not be taken away, access to the entire island, friendly players, and a wonderful ally offering. Everyone will have to go to lawless as well to get other resources, you are more than welcome to find somewhere inland on any of those places as most beaches are crowded. I am not saying you have to do any of this, i am more saying the server grid we live in has become much more productive and welcoming than it has been in the last 3 weeks. 

as a side note, i started in lawless, i was a solo that would just live and be happy where i was at, i have made friends and trade connections, i have sailed to over 100 islands (not a lot by any means) and have seen maybe 1 or two islands that were welcoming and clean. it takes a lot of time and efforts to keep things locked in (land claims, up keep of crew, expansion of ports) so a 30% tax until projects are completed is not out of the questions. 

If you choose to go to freeports or lawless that is fine. Chinese company's come through all the time and farm, so im not hurt by you or your friends not coming. But for a lot of other people that don't share your same views, it is a blessing to see positive progress.  Don't be so greedy when it comes to I HAVE TO HAVE MY OWN PLOT, just rent, be friendly, and don't rent from toxic people. 

Edited by Khalista Flintlock
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Khalista Flintlock said:

so salty bro?...... cant find a reason to just enjoy. trolls gonna troll i guess

So you're saying that i am salty and that I am trolling at the same time. Are there any other ways you can use to discard my arguments ithout actually arguing?
What you're saying is pretty much "you're gonna take my 30% tax and you're gonna love it, because you can't do anything about it, haha!"
Who is the troll here after that?

• Haha 1

We had a fun episode yesterday. We only tax 5% and make certain people can get good spot on the land we got and help them along.

Some guy comes into the zone in his galleon, then finds one of the best spots there is, just recently freed. Ask if he can buy it, then when no, gets salty and angry. Talking about how bad we are, then later find out he got claims on 2 server server tiles...

Story isn't always as it seems when people complain about claims. Some wants a claim 1 tile from lawless. Other just want more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Icedlance said:

So you're saying that i am salty and that I am trolling at the same time. Are there any other ways you can use to discard my arguments ithout actually arguing?
What you're saying is pretty much "you're gonna take my 30% tax and you're gonna love it, because you can't do anything about it, haha!"
Who is the troll here after that?

let me guess you live in lawless, have a couple of friends, if not solo.... the game is designed for companies, and no you don't have to be a mega company, peak players has dropped by more than half, PLENTY of land out there, 10 out of 10 times you would tax 30% as well. have you tired to be part of a community? I have been solo since launch, living in lawless, i found an opportunity to bring friends and other connection i have made in game together to make something more than just a shanty on a beach with no long term holdings. you can do the same. 

Do you own land? what is your tax rate? hows your grid doing? are you making things better for the entire grid and other people on the Island? Also do you read? there are a total of 36 people on 1 island that are happy. All of them have stated it in chat. I am truly sorry that your having a bad experience on a wonderful developing game. Patience and persistence are what it takes to succeed in this game. 

also no, we don't laugh at people, you put an two day IRL time into and island and tell me you don't want to tax until projects are complete. 

again... trolls gonna troll

1 hour ago, Icedlance said:

Sorry, you're upset, that someone is doing to you the same you did to them? 🤔

Sorry, you can't read, but use commas a lot? 🤔

We stopped their claim attempt once because we knew the people they were trying to steal from and they were just away, not gone from the game. This was prior to some of the PVE changes made regarding claim times, upkeep, etc. Not the same as repeatedly returning to reset a claim to 4 hours on long-abandoned land with no intent of doing anything other than griefing. I know context is hard, but try to keep up.

• Like 1

Page 9 of this thread is why we need claim limits.

No shade on anybody who posted, because grabbing up all the land is currently encouraged, and half the players are so toxic and stupid you wouldn't want them near you, so right now, I'd probably  consider doing the same damn thing.

But really, now that you've grabbed your little islands of paradise, it's not very gracious to go around blasting the ones unhappy because they've not been able to do the same.

Noblesse oblige, everybody.  Look it up.

If there is really going to be a "total rework" of the claim system, and they actually do something reasonable, some of you nasty folks are going to be out here crying when your land is taken away from you.    You won't get much sympathy if you're not generous with it now.

ive been sailing for hours trying to find just one spot i can claim. ive tried multiple different servers and many islands and cant find one spot to claim. not one. always recent upkeep on all of em. though i did find one that expires in about 36 hours, hoping they dont log back on cause im about to give up...

On 1/30/2019 at 4:08 AM, Jatheish said:

We're going to be making a change to PvE claims so that the inactivity timer starts at a base of 2 weeks instead of 3 days. Additionally, if you are a person/group with a larger amount of claims, the amount of inactivity timer you have will scale with that and have a lower limit of 3 days. So large companies with multiple flags have less amount of time where their base can be inactive versus those with just a few flags. We'll think on having a minimum before the number starts shrinking, or perhaps it'll just be 1 flag = 2 weeks. These numbers may not be exact and might change by the time we deploy, but that's the general idea. Hoping to get this out to you guys tomorrow. This may not be the perfect/most optimal solution, but we'll go ahead and make this change until we have thought more on our claim design for the overall game.

TLDR:

- Inactive claim timer will cap at 2 weeks, and bottom out at 3 days based on the number of claims you have

- Sleeping players won't contest claims

- NPC Crew can contest claims, but you'll have to feed and pay them otherwise they'll mutiny!

This might be a temporary change as we further evaluate how we want the claim system to work, especially with our new philosophy in mind.

I think I may be confused and have spent an hour now looking this up.  Were sleeping bodies supposed to stop a claim? I hadn't played in 5 days sleeping on my base and when I logged in now all my buildings belong to someone else, I cannot get out of the house or get my tames out (PVE).  Is this how it is supposed to work? I feel like now I have to start over as I cannot interact with what I built and if it goes to two weeks?  Mostly can someone confirm that we should have lost all our land?

On 1/30/2019 at 3:08 AM, Jatheish said:

We're going to be making a change to PvE claims so that the inactivity timer starts at a base of 2 weeks instead of 3 days. Additionally, if you are a person/group with a larger amount of claims, the amount of inactivity timer you have will scale with that and have a lower limit of 3 days. So large companies with multiple flags have less amount of time where their base can be inactive versus those with just a few flags. We'll think on having a minimum before the number starts shrinking, or perhaps it'll just be 1 flag = 2 weeks. These numbers may not be exact and might change by the time we deploy, but that's the general idea. Hoping to get this out to you guys tomorrow. This may not be the perfect/most optimal solution, but we'll go ahead and make this change until we have thought more on our claim design for the overall game.

TLDR:

- Inactive claim timer will cap at 2 weeks, and bottom out at 3 days based on the number of claims you have

- Sleeping players won't contest claims

- NPC Crew can contest claims, but you'll have to feed and pay them otherwise they'll mutiny!

This might be a temporary change as we further evaluate how we want the claim system to work, especially with our new philosophy in mind.

This still hasn’t been fixed yet. Any timeline as to when. You were hoping for today but v17 just came out and it wasn’t in it.

all i can say is this the land claim change happen late in the early morning hours and many many companies lost alot of fully built base and lost so much and now they are out now for the sleepers yes they are gone but others that weren't got hurt in the fire blast range and many lost too much to rebuild again.

one asshole company on the island i'm at , got on early and spammed claim flags all over the island at every spot they could , they effectively took over lots of players bases either completely or enough to be able to remove half or more and access their stored items, something was very wrong with the system immediatly after the patch 

players have lost parts of their bases to this as their claims originally overlapped sleepers, players logging in to find their bases gone / unable to get out , i would say at this point that the game needs a wipe too many areas are now gone not just inactive players but active

for some bizarre reason the system gives priority to new claims when it come to the overlaps , which destroys established players work if they are caught in it ,it should be exisiting claims have priority 

then players wonder why players have so many claim it's so they have claim protection around their bases so any overlap is nowhere near their main bases

Edited by UDO
  • Sad 1

I am not sure if I got an answer? It sounds like yes this is how it is supposed to work. Is the timer going down slowly? I log in 8 hours after saying 1 day 22 hours and it is at 1 day 13 hours.  This doesn't make sense?

On 1/31/2019 at 4:56 PM, Khalista Flintlock said:

Do you own land? what is your tax rate? hows your grid doing? are you making things better for the entire grid and other people on the Island? Also do you read? there are a total of 36 people on 1 island that are happy. All of them have stated it in chat.

also no, we don't laugh at people, you put an two day IRL time into and island and tell me you don't want to tax until projects are complete. 

again... trolls gonna troll

I do have land. I have 0 tax. I have a lot of allied neighbors. Most of them have 0 tax. Now there are some companies that I am still on very friendly terms (friendly enough for them to give me free stuff from time to time) that  have tax. It's 10 to 15%. Also there is a company on the other island in our grid that has no tax and yet built an entire town comparable to some of freeports in size. That company made sure everyone they ever talked to has all the seeds and share rare resources if someone needs them.
There is a chinese company that arrived to the island a bit later. They have A LOT of people. They are content with having 20 claims and don't claim any more, they did have 30% tax. I told them it was rude to their neighbors and they lowered it. They aren't building anything pretty, but they do come help people with killing alphas.
I am indeed a solo player, but I have a couple small companies living in my claims (that I would gladly concede if they weren't too densely placed to unclaim). Every new person on our island gets a free horse from me. My neighbors picked up the tradition and give bears to new people. Most of the taming traps in our neighborhood are communal. Everyone used to have unlocked doors and sometimes unlocked crafting stations for emergencies until some company passed by and looted everything they could.
I've built a small pier for boats to dock at, a lot of ladders and am building some pleasant to look at buildings around my place, as well as a full sized stone dock (which will stil ltake a long time since stone buildings are nerfed).

I've put a lot more that "two days IRL" into my island. It is the nicest friendliest place. We used to have a lot of free space for newcomers, but some newcomers just have to claim everything they see. That is a problem that we are working on.

Sooo, what "ongoing projects" of yours require you to have 30% tax?

And this line "36 people on 1 island that are happy. All of them have stated it in chat." sounds like bullshit.
Some people call those they don't agree with bigots. Some call them trolls. Doesn't make their opinion any more correct.

Edited by Icedlance

On 1/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, pope_kd said:

We stopped their claim attempt once because [...] Not the same as repeatedly returning to reset a claim to 4 hours on long-abandoned land with no intent of doing anything other than griefing

You don't know what their intent is. They didn't know what your intent was.
Did you ever try to talk your differences out? Because that's how you play MMOs. You talk with people.
I've called my chinese neighbors "cancer" once, but now we're good friends. Though we don't talk much since they barely speak english (enough however to understand, that "cancer" was aimed at them).

And rules of punctuation are different in different languages. English is particularly stingy with commas.

Edited by Icedlance

3 minutes ago, Icedlance said:

You don't know what their intent is. They didn't know what your intent was.
Did you ever try to talk your differences out? Because that's how you play MMOs. You talk with people.
I've called my chinese neighbors "cancer" once, but now we're good friends. Though we don't talk much since they barely speak english (enough however to understand, that "cancer" was aimed at them).

I do know what their intent is when they flat out say it in voice and text chat. Any more stupid commentary on a situation you aren't a part of, or 

1 minute ago, pope_kd said:

Any more stupid commentary on a situation you aren't a part of, or 

Yeah, one last thing. You are extremely pleasant to talk to on forums. I don't doubt you are as lovely in the game, no surprise your neighbors are so eager to please you.

6 hours ago, Webling said:

I am not sure if I got an answer? It sounds like yes this is how it is supposed to work. Is the timer going down slowly? I log in 8 hours after saying 1 day 22 hours and it is at 1 day 13 hours.  This doesn't make sense?

Sounds like it is working as intended, mostly. If you hadn't logged in for 5 days, your stuff would have been claimable. It was 72 hrs of inactivity before it was up for grabs, but the patch 3(?) days ago that changed it from showing negative timer also changed the inactivity timer and now it is currently it is 48 hrs of inactivity before your stuff is claimable, which, is theoretically supposed to be going to 2 weeks.

A patch 2ish nights ago also changed it so that sleepers no longer contested claims, and killed off any bodies that hadn't logged in for 3 weeks.

It sounds like the company that grabbed your stuff - about 2 hours before you logged on - and they hadn't been on in those 8 hours in between your logons.

TL:DR - Current claim timer is 48 hrs of inactivity and sleepers do NOT contest claims, but NPC crew still do.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UDO said:

one asshole company on the island i'm at , got on early and spammed claim flags all over the island at every spot they could , they effectively took over lots of players bases either completely or enough to be able to remove half or more and access their stored items, something was very wrong with the system immediatly after the patch 

players have lost parts of their bases to this as their claims originally overlapped sleepers, players logging in to find their bases gone / unable to get out , i would say at this point that the game needs a wipe too many areas are now gone not just inactive players but active

for some bizarre reason the system gives priority to new claims when it come to the overlaps , which destroys established players work if they are caught in it ,it should be exisiting claims have priority 

then players wonder why players have so many claim it's so they have claim protection around their bases so any overlap is nowhere near their main bases

UDO you and I seem to have a lot of the same problems with this patch. Some asshole company on our island plopped a claim flag down right In the middle of the island within 20 minutes of the patch, was a sea claim and was huge. It would of removed literally parts of 3-4 different companies bases. Luckily I was online and went and sat in the circle. When jat eventually posted in your previous thread about npc’s I moved a couple npcs to the edge of my claim and built boxes around them. If I hadn’t been online I think there would of been about 12 less people playing this game. The overlap rules in this game are ridiculous.

Edited by AtlasRyan

2 minutes ago, AtlasRyan said:

The overlap rules in this game are ridiculous.

Sea claims are especially bad. They check collisions same as land claims, but have more than double range.
Fortunately they are behaving a bit weird currently and sometimes instead of transfering building ownership it makes them behave like lawless with timer ticking down until demolish is allowed. Not sure if it's intended.
Also I recently placed a new claim and it somehow stole a shipyard from my neighbor that was and still is in his claim and nowhere close to mine. This was a completely fresh claim with no overlaps.

18 minutes ago, Icedlance said:

Sea claims are especially bad. They check collisions same as land claims, but have more than double range.
Fortunately they are behaving a bit weird currently and sometimes instead of transfering building ownership it makes them behave like lawless with timer ticking down until demolish is allowed. Not sure if it's intended.
Also I recently placed a new claim and it somehow stole a shipyard from my neighbor that was and still is in his claim and nowhere close to mine. This was a completely fresh claim with no overlaps.

Edit: sorry i didnt see your comment about "no overlaps" that is strange.

Edited by AtlasRyan