UDO

PvE Claim Flag concerns with Latest Update

There are some PvE specific changes we want to make as soon as possible. First of all, we want to create two server options, which will be enabled on our Official Network.

•  Sleeping/logged off players will no longer be replicated on any grid (similarly to Freeports). This should improve server and client performance, as well reduce some cases of griefing.
  • Force destruction of any character that hasn’t been logged onto in 3 weeks (2 weeks if it’s a Homeserver).

We’ll also be fixing a bug which allowed sleeping characters to contest claims, even if the claim has been inactive, so going forward only logged in characters will be able to contest claims.

this is bullshit 3 day timers on flags already and now logged out bodies will no longer contest claims ,

how are we meant to have holidays ? do they really think players take their pcs on holiday with them to log in 

logged out player by all means contest the flags but yes after 3 weeks they are gone , we need to have a certain amount of protection for going awauy on holiday 

are these devs for real do they have any idea about real life activities ???????

please dont bother replying with 3 day is long enough protection , if u cant take pc to  log in every 3 days when on holiday u deserve to lose your claim , dont reply if u r are no life 24/7 hermit gamer either who hasnt seen sun in years 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Honestly, I don't know what goes through the design cycle when they come up with these ideas.

At some point the product needs to prioritize practicality and usability over...cool ideas...impediments...and theories about what could be.

After all, the product should be designed around the users not what the developer thinks work.

Edited by Jaite
  • Like 1

Well I am hoping that they are talking about contesting claims vs contesting declaims.

This sounds right.

Maybe they just said it poorly?

The problem I think they are trying g to solve is that a sleeping body should not prevent you from claiming an unclaimed piece of land. The sleeping body should still defend the claimed land

32 minutes ago, Jaite said:

Honestly, I don't know what goes through the design cycle when they come up with these ideas.

At some point the product needs to prioritize practicality and usability over...cool ideas...impediments...and theories about what could be.

After all, the product should be designed around the users not what the developer thinks work.

That typically happens after early access.

I hope this comes with some sort of increased protection for PvE.. If all your stuff in an "MMO" depends on a buggy 3 day timer we are all screwed. I get that playing on official servers means a certain commitment, but HAVING to log every 3 days is a joke.

Problem is though that some sleepers have been there a long time without logging in. In some cases it's a genuine break. In other cases they have stopped playing the game. We just don't know which. 

Perhaps three days isn't long enough but quite frankly with a limited amount of land in the game, your claim can't be safe forever without you logging in.

You're worried about what happens if you go on vacation. So lets say you go on vacation for two weeks.... should you be allowed to occupy part of the game world for two weeks when you're not even playing? I'd argue no. If you want to own territory in the game, you should have to play the game regularly to maintain it. That's always been the rule with games where the player was able to own part of a limited world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely agree, I shouldn't lose everything just because i've gone on holiday for a week or 2.

Whenever i'm not on holiday it's fine because i'm very active, I play every day, but I need holidays too, so we shouldn't be punished for taking a break in life for a 2 week holiday.

53 minutes ago, Dumb1Bunny said:

Well I am hoping that they are talking about contesting claims vs contesting declaims.

This sounds right.

Maybe they just said it poorly?

The problem I think they are trying g to solve is that a sleeping body should not prevent you from claiming an unclaimed piece of land. The sleeping body should still defend the claimed land

I hope you are right that it is about that, but something tells me it is not. :classic_huh:

Edited by [GP] Guybrush Threepwood

We're currently evaluating our claim system and seeing what changes we can make to improve it across the board, as it definitely needs work. It's arguable that the 3 day timer may need to be increased now that we no longer allow sleeping bodies to contest claims, but due to the limited amount of land available and how PvE servers work we have to put measures in place to make sure that land cannot be sat on indefinitely. 

Players can still use Crew (which are to be fed and paid) to contest claims. The sleeping measure we put in place was more so to tackle users who hadn't logged on in days and hadn't planned to but were still contesting their inactive claims because their bodies had not died.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jatheish said:

We're currently evaluating our claim system and seeing what changes we can make to improve it across the board, as it definitely needs work. It's arguable that the 3 day timer may need to be increased now that we no longer allow sleeping bodies to contest claims, but due to the limited amount of land available and how PvE servers work we have to put measures in place to make sure that land cannot be sat on indefinitely. 

Players can still use Crew (which are to be fed and paid) to contest claims. The sleeping measure we put in place was more so to tackle users who hadn't logged on in days and hadn't planned to but were still contesting their inactive claims because their bodies had not died.

Just add offline mate !!!

16 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Perhaps three days isn't long enough but quite frankly with a limited amount of land in the game, your claim can't be safe forever without you logging in.

You're worried about what happens if you go on vacation. So lets say you go on vacation for two weeks.... should you be allowed to occupy part of the game world for two weeks when you're not even playing? I'd argue no. If you want to own territory in the game, you should have to play the game regularly to maintain it. That's always been the rule with games where the player was able to own part of a limited world.

The focus should be on actual inactive players not players who can play when they can.

Yet, the focus is almost entirely built on a active daily 3-day timer? They should want a game that brings in a variety of players not just a single type of player. If someone is logging in every 5 days because they can only play on the weekends then they will never get to experience any of the official servers. We can come up with a hundred reasons why the current system is bad but at the end of the day the focus should be on real 'inactive' players.

These inactive players haven't logged in for weeks, they haven't built anything or interacted with any of their storage, smithy and ships etc. These players should be marked as inactive because they haven't logged in in the last 3-4 weeks. These are inactive players not the ones who still log in to play but now they can't because they must be actively logging in every 3 days.

Edited by Jaite
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jatheish said:

They will always find something to gripe about. I think its great to have them not contested by sleepers due to the fact some are creating alts just for this reason.

• Like 2

Technically it is now safer on a lawless island due to 4 days instead of 3 on claimed. And they mentioned how they was going to help solo and small companies. Oh the irony.

Edited by Shintai

Not sure that all working well. 

In our island there is one place with 4 or more flags that was protected by one sleeping body. (it was yellow, so anyone can build here, and it's no good for resourses in little island)
In our server online 3-4 at the moment, all timers are gone many days ago, but i cannot reclaim this land anyway. I don't know removed his body or not, but i think it is removed. My flag contested, but no markers for anyone.

But i dont see bodys of my mates too. 

Sorry for my bad english)

They had to go overboard with the change as usual. The force killing of bodies 3 weeks old was fair enough. But then they had to go all the way.

26 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

How about you "evaluate" before making changes, maybe involve the community and then change it? You and your team always move from one extreme to the opposite extreme without any thought about it whatsoever it seems. It should be plainly obvious that if you remove the ability to contest while sleeping, 3 days is way too short. People do have jobs, they have a private life and even go on vacations. Dedication is fine, but please get real. How would you feel if you take a 2 weeks break with your family and when you return, will have lost everything you worked for in your spare time for the past months?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

If you think there's a "limited amount of land" on PVE servers you're high as fuck or don't play your own game, there are hundreds of stealable claims right now from people who haven't been on since Day 1, let alone a three-day timer.

I have a 5 day vacation coming up from the 12th-17th and sleeping in my own claim apparently isn't going to be good enough to hold my own land even though I've played 473 hours since release? 

Here's a thought -- active time spent on a claim contributes to bonus upkeep. Inactive players/unused claims wouldn't benefit from a basic run-through, but would still be reset to a three-day. Claims that are used often would stack a ton of extra time over time, making them harder to take.

This isn't really a hard concept to work out and I'm not sure why your team struggles so much with basic gameplay/balance concepts. 

Edited by pope_kd
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, pope_kd said:

If you think there's a "limited amount of land" on PVE servers you're high as fuck or don't play your own game, there are hundreds of stealable claims right now from people who haven't been on since Day 1, let alone a three-day timer.

I have a 5 day vacation coming up from the 12th-15th and sleeping in my own claim apparently isn't going to be good enough to hold my own land even though I've played 473 hours since release? 

Here's a thought -- active time spent on a claim contributes to bonus upkeep. Inactive players/unused claims wouldn't benefit from a basic run-through, but would still be reset to a three-day. Claims that are used often would stack a ton of extra time over time, making them harder to take.

This isn't really a hard concept to work out and I'm not sure why your team struggles so much with basic gameplay/balance concepts. 

Then tell me why most people on these forums complaining because of no land, are PVE’ers? 

• Like 1

Just now, Percieval said:

Then tell me why most people on these forums complaining because of no land, are PVE’ers? 

Because they aren't actually checking the claims, they just see a big red circle and turn their ship around. 

We talk to them all day on our grid and will flat-out tell them which ones are stealable right now if they aren't dicks about it in General. 

• Like 2

There was plenty of claims to be had before the change if you wanted it. After this 90% of the land or so is up for grabs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

How about instead of a timer you have a power up? The more you're there the higher it goes. Stay away from it, say for a week, and it loses power and can be contested/taken. This will encourage large guilds to free up some of those unused claims as well. A win for everyone. Maybe even add distance to it as well. The farther it is from your main claim the faster it ticks down in strength. To reset it go stand on it for X amount of time.

Edited by Stabby

Not sure what PVE server you play on?!  There was 100% a problem with people not being able to claim land on NA PVE due to inactive sleepers.  It was extremely rare for someone to find land that was not being blocked by a sleeper.  On that note, I do feel 3 days is short and have faith that that value will be changed soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Astiria said:

How about you "evaluate" before making changes, maybe involve the community and then change it? You and your team always move from one extreme to the opposite extreme without any thought about it whatsoever it seems. It should be plainly obvious that if you remove the ability to contest while sleeping, 3 days is way too short. People do have jobs, they have a private life and even go on vacations. Dedication is fine, but please get real. How would you feel if you take a 2 weeks break with your family and when you return, will have lost everything you worked for in your spare time for the past months?

because with this type fo game it isn't extreme at all. 

They cannot appeal to everyone, what about those who want 3 weeks holiday? or away for a month or are away from their computer for serval weeks at a time, what about those people? The problem is when you set a rule for one group of players then you have to do it for everyone else. A universal rule has to be set to make it fair across the board. Also i'm sure non ones taken in account how the a-holes of the community will abuse this (trolls/grefers) 

imho real life should never dictate how a game should be made.

1 minute ago, Stabby said:

How about instead of a timer you have a power up? The more you're there the higher it goes. Stay away from it, say for a week, and it loses power and can be contested/taken. This will encourage large guilds to free up some of those unused claims as well. A win for everyone.

Then those who are way for two weeks will complain that's too low, then those who are three weeks away, you get my point?

• Like 2

Inactive players - automatically killed AFTER 28 days of not logging in.

Lawless - buildings decompose in 4 days.

Claimed Land - sleepers lose land after not playing in 3 days.

Basically those that have claimed land are treated worse than lawless land, and even inactive players have 4 weeks before they are killed. But a player inactive for 3 days, which is essentially an extended weekend could lose everything?

Inactive players 4 week timer should be reduced to 3 weeks, it's not necessary to be 4 weeks. If someone hasn't logged on for 3 weeks it is unlikely they will again.

Claimed Land should not be claimed after inactivity that is even shorter than Lawless land.

3 weeks should be what it is. After 3 weeks a sleeping body on claimed land will be killed and then the land claimable. Don't punish players for taking 2 weeks holiday. Yes I'm aware you can hire crew members, but that is only one option you are forcing on players. Extend the time from 3 days to 3 weeks and stop punishing solo players, as per your latest Captain's Log.

6 minutes ago, Herasea said:

because with this type fo game it isn't extreme at all. 

They cannot appeal to everyone, what about those who want 3 weeks holiday? or away for a month or are away from their computer for serval weeks at a time, what about those people? The problem is when you set a rule for one group of players then you have to do it for everyone else. A universal rule has to be set to make it fair across the board. Also i'm sure non ones taken in account how the a-holes of the community will abuse this (trolls/grefers) 

imho real life should never dictate how a game should be made.

Then those who are way for two weeks will complain that's too low, then those who are three weeks away, you get my point?

Get a friend. This mechanic would encourage guild recruitment. Perhaps there could even be a craftable item that's placed on claims (mastercraft) that will extend it up to two weeks. Make it brutal to craft. The crafting equivalent to Golden Ruins. Trading rare items could make this a fun mechanic as well.

FYI my job requires that I travel to China, Europe, Australia, etc. Sometimes for up to two months. But I always have advanced notice. I could get guildies or friends to babysit my/our land.

Edited by Stabby
  • Like 2