Sign in to follow this  
venomvv

A little about how I tamed rhino ...

Developers! The last time I tamed my rhinoceros, my butt burned so badly that I couldn’t feed this armored asshole! I shoved him beans in his smelly mouth like a baby who didn’t want to eat and was naughty all the time ... Over and over again sending me a knockout and forcing him to tame a new one ... Can you not fix elementary problems in the game ??? ! Why is the inscription to feed there, but there is no possibility to do this ??? Why should I contrive and crawl under his belly, and only finally feed through his front paws ??? Well, that is not through the ass ... In general, a lot of time and nerves were wasted because of basic things that no one pays attention to! Dislike to you ... = /

Edited by venomvv
  • Like 1

Feed him from his stomach and you won't get hit.

Rhino is actually one of the easier ones at the moment.

Will have to try the stomach, but attempting to tame last night was an exercise in futility.   Getting it bola'd is not difficult.  Can use a ranged weapon if a mace won't work. 

Getting close enough to feed introduces you to incredible knockback from headbutts together with severe injury which makes you unable to RUN in, feed quickly, and spring back out of range.  Even having a partner's help and several nearby respawn beds doesn't insure more success.  I would find the appropriate feeding prompt, spam "E", and NOTHING would happen.  No feeding occurred.  Headbutting DID occur though, and more severe damage.  Knocked back the distance of a football field with broken bone injuries,  the attempt to return to find the feeding prompt was so slow the animal had lost taming by the time I got back.  This happened over and over again with zero gain in taming.

I think waiting for a 2x taming event and having 2 - 3 people tag-team the feeding might give you a better chance of taming.  But for the record, I find the entire process ridiculously difficult.  Might be on par with killing the bosses - I haven't done that yet - except that in this case you're trying to keep the animal alive while you're taming.  By the time I called it quits last night, I was ready to skewer and roast the devs who developed this  near-impossible tame.  Used the rhino as proxy instead.  Not nearly as satisfying.  🙄

On 1/30/2019 at 6:27 AM, gadefence said:

Rhino is actually one of the easier ones at the moment.

Not even remotely true.  The knockback and pain makes taming an order of magnitude more difficult than any other creature.

You're on crack.

2 minutes ago, SilkBD said:

Not even remotely true.  The knockback and pain makes taming an order of magnitude more difficult than any other creature.

You're on crack.

Then don't get hit. I wear plate since my mates insist on putting down taming pens around them - which makes it infinitely harder - and usually get hit 1-2 times per tame, for 5-10% damage in the entire duration. If you're dying, either is glitching in something or you suck.

Oh, it's too hard so I should not get it?  No, I don't play games because they are easy, I play them because they are hard.

In full plate (jouneyman quality), you can get hit maybe 10 times before you're murdered.

The spot on the stomach didn't work when we tried, so we're simply trying different tactics.

Rule #0, my friend.

• Like 2

Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Definition of the average online gamer posting to a forum: doing the same thing over and over then demanding developers change the game so that the way they want to do it produces the desired result.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SilkBD said:

Oh, it's too hard so I should not get it?  No, I don't play games because they are easy, I play them because they are hard.

In full plate (jouneyman quality), you can get hit maybe 10 times before you're murdered.

The spot on the stomach didn't work when we tried, so we're simply trying different tactics.

Rule #0, my friend.

So, since my company mates are going to tame a horse tonight and there's rhinos, you wanna give me 200 gold if the stomach trick works?

42 minutes ago, SilkBD said:

You're on crack.

I built a wall of gates around my taming pen to prevent me from getting knocked back too far in the event that it went down in a less than ideal position in my pen.  but for the most part it wasn't too bad as long as you can reach his stomach for feeding.

My biggest issue is that he can stick his head out so far through my taming pen, and I can't feed him from any part that is outside the pen.

It was difficult when there were vultures everywhere.  But why bother with Rhino anymore as there are like no metal nodes on beach, no need for rocks. 

Allow rhinos some metal from rocks.

• Like 1

The Rhino's knockback is certainly a pain, but just like the other tames, you just need to learn how and where to do it so you don't get hit. EZ PZ. When it comes to tames Rhino's, like the gentleman up above said are easier to feed than others. For instance, I find Bulls and Giraffes way harder. If you're using traps, where they are and the direction they are facing in the trap is important for determining the angle you approach feeding from, but as the gentleman above said you always want to feed from the stomach if you have the direct line to be able to do so.

Edited by TinyCuts

Taming a rhino, just like taming an elephant is EZ clap. Man people are impatiënt or just not willing to do anything. 

9 hours ago, gadefence said:

So, since my company mates are going to tame a horse tonight and there's rhinos, you wanna give me 200 gold if the stomach trick works?

For sure no.  I'm not going to hold authority that i'm 100% right that the stomach didn't work.  I'm saying it didn't work for us.
I'm going to try and again... and I hope I'm wrong and just not doing something right.

44 minutes ago, SilkBD said:

For sure no.  I'm not going to hold authority that i'm 100% right that the stomach didn't work.  I'm saying it didn't work for us.
I'm going to try and again... and I hope I'm wrong and just not doing something right.

Try about half way between his feet, a bit more towards the rear, inch to his gut looking at his face. You'll get it, then it's easy.

The hardest part of taming is figuring out the method that works best. It might seem difficult but the odds are that there are easier ways to do it you haven't thought of. If you think you can just go in without prep or any strategy then you are likely going to have a lot of trouble.

Getting a good first tame is always the hardest and requires a structure to trap it in. My personal method is to tame while riding a bear or another rhino. Just damage it on the animal of choice then bola while mounted.

Can u feed while mounted ? Thats what this thread is bout. Bola a potential tame isnt the issue...

3 hours ago, gadefence said:

Try about half way between his feet, a bit more towards the rear, inch to his gut looking at his face. You'll get it, then it's easy.

Well.... I owe you an apology.  I was wrong, you are and were 100% correct start to finish.  Once you get in its stomach area, it can't hit you and it becomes the easiest tame in the game.

I apologize.

RHINO TAMING UPDATE:  The gentlemen above were correct.  We confirmed tonight that the primo way to feed the rhino is through the belly.  Thank you for the great tip!  My apologies to the devs, with the caveat that they don't tamper with this.  For now, it works, and it makes taming a rewarding effort rather than the infuriating debacle I experienced last night.  <wipes off skewer and slides it back into the knife drawer with relief>

Oh, an addendum to the rhino taming: we didn't use turnips to tame during this 2x taming event.  We used chilis.  

8 hours ago, SilkBD said:

Well.... I owe you an apology.  I was wrong, you are and were 100% correct start to finish.  Once you get in its stomach area, it can't hit you and it becomes the easiest tame in the game.

I apologize.

Sorry if I seemed harsh but I wanted you to get an easy way to tame it and not scare other people off the correct way to tame rhinos too 🙂 Glad you got your rhino.

" we didn't use turnips to tame during this 2x taming event.  We used chilis.   "

The only difference between turnips and chillis is how much taming efficiency it loses per feeding. IT loses a lot more with chillis. If you're looking to get +14 lvls on a 30 you need turnips, else you'll get 13 to 12, but other food types are definitely usable.

Sadly turnips were not an option, so we had to punt.  If turnips become available in the future, that will definitely  be our taming food of choice.

Grown turnips are better than wild. easily like 5% per. I agree the feeding even from the stomach is hit and miss. We had had tames that hit us 2-3 times and tames that hit us every time we walked up there. The key IMO is to have multiple people stocked, armored, with bolas who know what to do and lots of communication. If someone dies then the next guy takes over while the other guy is getting back and rinse repeat. If the tame goes well, then great. But if it goes badly at least you have a action plan and don't wind up losing tons of bonus wild levels to being stubborn and doing it alone.