Aridhol

Can an npc or two keep a brig afloat in a freeport, if they repair it?

The title really asks the question, has anyone tried taking a Brigantine into a freeport, with a full complement of repair material, and left some npc's in it overnight to keep it afloat?

It would really be a nice boost to gameplay if small companies could leave a single ship in a freeport overnight for a modest level of pvp protection as long as they properly prepared for the upkeep costs overnight.

Does anyone have any information on this, is it even possible, or will npc's even attempt to repair when anchored in a freeport?

Let me know, I am most interested in this thought.. I'd love to live out of a ship with a small group, but am well aware that leaving a brig unattended in random places will 100% of the time result in it getting griefed, and while its not that hard to remake a brig.. having to do it every time you log back in would get old, really, really fast..

NPC crews don't do repairs at freeports. Well not my crew at least. If you can repair the ship manually every 7-8 hours you can do just that. However (depending on number of players of course) i wouldn't aim for a brig if you want a mobile base. 

Edited by LaiTash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

NPC crews don't do repairs at freeports. Well not my crew at least.

I know they have to be assigned to nothing, and have a repair hammer in their inventory?

If they don't repair in freeports, then this thought is promptly ruined. Seems like a change that the dev's should make asap to give us small groups a big QoL change. At the moment I'm like 99% of the way to being done with this game @Jatheish but would love some way to change my mind on this. I'm just tired of the large group politics (and I hate building a base on land, I just wanna sail! I don't mind farming for boat-stuff, but land-defense is boring to me..)

1 minute ago, Aridhol said:

I know they have to be assigned to nothing, and have a repair hammer in their inventory?

None of this works. They will repair it everywhere else even without the hammer, but not at freeports.

None of this works. They will repair it everywhere else even without the hammer, but not at freeports.

Whelp, thanks for the destruction of my hopes and dreams! (joking 50%, I know its not your fault lol)

This is definitely a change I think the devs should consider, however! 

Whelp, thanks for the destruction of my hopes and dreams! (joking 50%, I know its not your fault lol)

Yeah i know. I play with a friend who can outrepair the decay, and having a blast actually sailing now without all the basebuilding BS.

I just dread the day when she will forget to log in and repair the ship :skull:

Yeah i know. I play with a friend who can outrepair the decay, and having a blast actually sailing now without all the basebuilding BS.

I just dread the day when she will forget to log in and repair the ship :skull:

I'm curious, how often do you have to log in to achieve this? And I assume you have to repair every single plank, that'd get pricey fast (not that I'm complaining, if I could make it work then I'd do it)

I'd really like to just have a small group and sail. I don't mind pvp if its while I'm online to fight back in a fair fight, even if I get wrecked I know its because I was beaten fair and square.. offline crap just sucks

12 minutes ago, Aridhol said:

I'm curious, how often do you have to log in to achieve this? And I assume you have to repair every single plank, that'd get pricey fast (not that I'm complaining, if I could make it work then I'd do it)

I'd really like to just have a small group and sail. I don't mind pvp if its while I'm online to fight back in a fair fight, even if I get wrecked I know its because I was beaten fair and square.. offline crap just sucks

Math says planks should begin to leak after 9 hours (on a schooner). We don't trust math so log in every 7 hours just to be on a safe side.

We gather like 2.5-3k of wood and thatch (thankfully can have loads of fiber so we don't have to worry about it) before going to sleep - so we can just log in, repair the damage, log out. Enough to repair twice. It doesn't take long to farm this amount at freeport.

Edited by LaiTash

3 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Math says planks should begin to leak after 9 hours (on a schooner). We don't trust math so log in every 7 hours just to be on a safe side.

We gather like 2.5-3k of wood and thatch (thankfully can have loads of fiber so we don't have to worry about it) before going to sleep. It doesn't take long to farm this amount at freeport.

Is there a faster decay rate on a brig, do you know? I'm wondering how well a brig would do..

Still, thank you for the info, that's very helpful, and not completely impossible to manage I suppose?

Знаете ли вы, что на бриге скорость затухания выше? Я задаюсь вопросом, как хорошо бриг будет делать ..

Тем не менее, спасибо за информацию, это очень полезно, и не совсем невозможно управлять, я полагаю?

Ship damage to Freeport:

Sloop - 6 dmg/min 

Shooner - 7 dmg/min 

Brig - 8 dmg/min 

Galeon - 10 dmg/min 

15 minutes ago, KNZVgame said:

Ship damage to Freeport:

Sloop - 6 dmg/min 

Shooner - 7 dmg/min 

Brig - 8 dmg/min 

Galeon - 10 dmg/min 

Thanks for this list - very helpful

On 1/29/2019 at 6:06 PM, Aridhol said:

If they don't repair in freeports, then this thought is promptly ruined. Seems like a change that the dev's should make asap to give us small groups a big QoL change. At the moment I'm like 99% of the way to being done with this game @Jatheish but would love some way to change my mind on this. I'm just tired of the large group politics (and I hate building a base on land, I just wanna sail! I don't mind farming for boat-stuff, but land-defense is boring to me..)

Freeport living goes against everything the game is. If you can’t handle a Pirates life simply don’t play the game. It’s suppose to be a challenge, ruthless, and survival of the fittest. That is the whole point of atlas and you’re missing it. 

• Sad 1

I would add that all DEVs made alot of skills that totally unclear!!!

For example - there is a skill in captaining tree that makes your crew repair your ship faster. The question is - when it works?

- Is it works only when I'm on the ship?

- Is it works when I'm within some distance from the ship?

- Or maybe it works on all ships within company and only one company member should learn these, so all ships get bonuses?

- Is it work only when I'm online, or it works 24/7?

- Should I go sleep to the ship's hold to make this bonus work when I'm offline?

So many questions!!! : )

On 12/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, George Catcher said:

For example - there is a skill in captaining tree that makes your crew repair your ship faster. The question is - when it works?

- Is it works only when I'm on the ship?

- Is it works when I'm within some distance from the ship?

- Or maybe it works on all ships within company and only one company member should learn these, so all ships get bonuses?

- Is it work only when I'm online, or it works 24/7?

- Should I go sleep to the ship's hold to make this bonus work when I'm offline?

I think it applies to the crew members you personally claimed.  So in theory maybe you could just have one company member learn them and unclaim the crew and let him claim them.

On 12/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, George Catcher said:

Yeah those tarot cards are totally unclear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they worked when you post screenshots of your PVE base on the forum where nobody gives a shit.

So little answers!!! 😉

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 1

Lol, its funny. The captaining skills are quite unclear indeed. It is a good question.

I dont think the devs even know how it works. AFAIK, you gotta be on the boat for the skill to have any effect, if you claimed crew but someone else is sailing the ship I dont think you will get that bonus. Lol who knows.... or cares really ... :(