Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Good changes are coming

Wow, just read the new captains log that is coming.

good to see they are focusing on the solo people. My guess by what he is saying is that ships will be even cheaper to make.

i have to admit I do like the thought of ships being more expendable. More time for base building.

and yes, the player markets. They will either be pvp free completely or totally automated. 

The part about solo players feeling safer when they log off feels like a offline raid protection or something like it is coming. Never had a problem with that.

And automatic trade routes is still a little bit of a mystery. Either you send out an unmanned ship along the route which would easily be able to be sank, or you get to just put auto pilot on so you can run to the store if you need to. Either way makes for some even better raiding.

ok, since I see things getting a lot cheaper and easier I think this game might not be that bad after all

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Realist said:

good to see they are focusing on the solo people. My guess by what he is saying is that ships will be even cheaper to make.

i have to admit I do like the thought of ships being more expendable. More time for base building.

and yes, the player markets. They will either be pvp free completely or totally automated. 

The part about solo players feeling safer when they log off feels like a offline raid protection or something like it is coming. Never had a problem with that.

And automatic trade routes is still a little bit of a mystery. Either you send out an unmanned ship along the route which would easily be able to be sank, or you get to just put auto pilot on so you can run to the store if you need to. Either way makes for some even better raiding.

ok, since I see things getting a lot cheaper and easier I think this game might not be that bad after all

I've gotta ask cuz I've never seen you post something even remotely positive about this game or the company developing it so I may be missing the hints of sarcasm.  Is this  sarcastic post or are you being serious?

Just now, Vaenix said:

I've gotta ask cuz I've never seen you post something even remotely positive about this game or the company developing it so I may be missing the hints of sarcasm.  Is this  sarcastic post or are you being serious?

Lol I figured people would ask that.

the answer is no, not sarcasm. I am sure that some of it seemed like sarcasm but it was not. Mainly just laughing at the people that want it hard.

like I said in the other posts. I am a grinder so even if it’s hard it still isn’t that hard. The easier it gets for me, the more mass production I can yield. 

Everything that makes the game more squishy only intensifies my production. Give me offline raid protection, I’ll have a 100x100x15 high base up in now time.

make things more cheap but not have offline raid protection? I’ll have 50 10x10x4 bases up to where I won’t even care if I get raided.

the really cool part about it is, I don’t let anyone keep anything of value in my bases so when people waste all of the mats trying to raid and they figure out there was nothing there they get all bummed out.

i am always more likely to put a storage container in shark infested waters at the bottom of the ocean. Then if someone actually gets it good for them. If you raid me you are going to be disappointed.

my main goal in this game is for me to grind and make sure nobody gets anything good. After that I had fun for the day

7 minutes ago, Zlax said:

Link for the info?

It is here on the forums. Jat just posted it a little while ago. Go to announcements or something

The ship cost isn't the issue it is the gun and ammo cost that is the issue.  Making cannons is VERY time consuming and expensive.  

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

The ship cost isn't the issue it is the gun and ammo cost that is the issue.  Making cannons is VERY time consuming and expensive.  

I am sure they are but I mass produced Indy grinders on ark, now that was expensive. 

Pkus time consuming to others is my usual grind day. I do actually feel for the non-grinder players, but with me I can actually spend a full 8 hours on not just grinding mats but even one mat. Have you ever spent hours hours gathering nothing but stone? I have

1 minute ago, Realist said:

I am sure they are but I mass produced Indy grinders on ark, now that was expensive. 

Pkus time consuming to others is my usual grind day. I do actually feel for the non-grinder players, but with me I can actually spend a full 8 hours on not just grinding mats but even one mat. Have you ever spent hours hours gathering nothing but stone? I have

Try out fitting a PVP fit galleon... With fine or legendary level cannons.. 

3 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Try out fitting a PVP fit galleon... With fine or legendary level cannons.. 

Ah man, I wouldn’t do that to begin with. If I don’t lose anything I don’t get mad. Rather than get mad I make something that is simple and do damage to the people I’m attacking. 

Wven if I get sunk they won’t get anything and they will spend more just repairing than what they got from me.

i like the win/win situation. I might not leave with anything but if the other side leaves with less than what they had I call it a win.

16 minutes ago, Hodo said:

agreed. ammo cost is insane

Edited by TheCoolGuy

3 minutes ago, TheCoolGuy said:

agreed. ammo cost is insane

How much is the Ammo cost if you don’t mind my asking?

Edited by Realist

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

killing 5 lowlvl ai ships can cost you over 500 metal. im talking about medium cannon balls. i dont even use large cannons because its too expensive for a solo player. companys dont have that problem i guess

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

Large Cannonballs 14 metal 14 gunpowder, and 1 flint EACH...  

Medium Cannonballs, 10 metal, 12 gunpowder and 1 flint for 2 balls.

I also like the QoL changes they will be implementing, and that it's on the forefront.  Most notably for me is the Territory Message box-size.  Very cool that they're altering it!

Also like the bookshelves coming, I just like bookshelves in all games :)

More reason to spend time underwater sounds fun too.

Different thread of information than what Realist was talking about, but good changes coming nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

I live on a ship and couldn't care less about base building. All my stuff is on that little ship (and i'm kinda attached to it yeah), i want it to be sturdier, not cheaper >_>

Base building is not what made me buy this game.

And oh... automatic trade routes? wtf?

Edited by LaiTash

Yeah bookshelves are a great QoL addition. If you regularly do flotsam, SoTD, AoTD you have to start throwing out BP's because you amass so many. Somthing that stacked them would be great.

I'm worried though about their compensating changes for the stone-sap debacle. It could be a case of the "correction" being just as bad as the "mistake".

Sap nodes everywhere will just take away some of the pleasure of trading, living in difficult biomes or traveling to harvest. Leave this in the game for those who like it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Yeah, it sounds good on paper. I have to admit I'm skeptical because we had a few patches a while back that were really positive and then we had a string of patches that burned out any goodwill those patches brought for me. I'll reserve my judgment until we see more positive changes than negative ones. 

Bleh. I didn’t like it when they made the ships cheaper and I don’t like it now. For me,  a galleon should be something special. The cheaper you make it, the more that feeling goes away. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheCoolGuy said:

killing 5 lowlvl ai ships can cost you over 500 metal. im talking about medium cannon balls. i dont even use large cannons because its too expensive for a solo player. companys dont have that problem i guess

Crap sorry I should have been specific. My fault. The ammo itself, per ball, how much does it cost?

31 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

I live on a ship and couldn't care less about base building. All my stuff is on that little ship (and i'm kinda attached to it yeah), i want it to be sturdier, not cheaper >_>

Base building is not what made me buy this game.

And oh... automatic trade routes? wtf?

Yeah dude, he said it in the announcement. Automatic trade routes. All I know is is will be good for pve players and the pvp players that like raiding trade companies. Won’t be good for pvp trade companies themselves lol

i have a feeling ships will become stronger pretty soon as well. Might be a few months down the road but enough people will complain and they will have more armor/durability.

but no, the cheaper the better I say. And by cheaper I don’t mean weaker. I mean building it faster.

Agree with OP, this captain's log sounds very positive. It sounds like they may start going back on the stone nerf as early as this week, which matters a lot to me as a solo player.

Bounties seem to have entirely disappeared from the upcoming February patch notes, which seems like a good decision as far as allocating development resources.

Offline protection is important. Too many people have justifiably ragequit after losing ships every night.

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

Large Cannonballs 14 metal 14 gunpowder, and 1 flint EACH...  

Medium Cannonballs, 10 metal, 12 gunpowder and 1 flint for 2 balls.

That isn’t too bad. Gunpowder is still flint stone on charcoal right?

Yes. If you mean flintstone. It’s 2 flint 1 coal I believe

Edited by Percieval

7 minutes ago, Realist said:

Crap sorry I should have been specific. My fault. The ammo itself, per ball, how much does it cost?

Like I said...

14 metal + 14 gunpowder + 1 flint per large cannonball

10 metal + 12 gunpowder + 1 flint for 2 medium cannonballs.

So for every broadside on a base model schooner of 5 medium guns you are looking at 25 metal + 30 gunpowder + 2.5 flint.  

Just now, Percieval said:

Yes

Yeah shouldn’t be too bad then. Always been favored to maxing out ammo on every auto turret in ark so I will enjoy mass producing common balls as well. 

Mid you can work on both offense and defense at the same time then you are doing something right

Just now, Hodo said:

Like I said...

14 metal + 14 gunpowder + 1 flint per large cannonball

10 metal + 12 gunpowder + 1 flint for 2 medium cannonballs.

So for every broadside on a base model schooner of 5 medium guns you are looking at 25 metal + 30 gunpowder + 2.5 flint.  

Sorry again, my bad. I saw the other guys quote talking about how many cannonballs were needed to kill a ship before I saw your quote. I had multiple quotes when I checked

You make 100 medium cannonballs.  

The complete breakdown of that is.

1000 metal, 1200 gunpowder (  2400 charcoal, 1200 flint) and 100 flint.   

And that will last about 6 SotD maybe 7...  

Yeah shouldn’t be too bad then. Always been favored to maxing out ammo on every auto turret in ark so I will enjoy mass producing common balls as well. 

Mid you can work on both offense and defense at the same time then you are doing something right

Sorry again, my bad. I saw the other guys quote talking about how many cannonballs were needed to kill a ship before I saw your quote. I had multiple quotes when I checked

Each medium cannonball does about 1200 damage to a SotD.  Your average low level SotD has around 30-40k health.   So figure about 25-30 hits.