Momo Ochita

hardware spec required for a private server

Folks, this game like Ark benefits far more from high frequency single thread performance than just having a bunch of cores.  Yes, I give about 4-5GB of memory/ram to each grid, but having a newer generation CPU with HIGH single thread performance will take you much further in keeping your server fps high across your grids.  Old first or second gen X series server cpus are pretty horrible single thread performance compared to modern (last 3 years) cpus out there.  For my 10x10 and 7x7 with 300+ players I would MUCH prefer half the cores with higher single thread performance on a box than a couple dozen slower cpus.  Later gen i7's are great, but there are some pretty cheap server 6 or 8 core CPUs out there which will give you a bit more bang for the $$ IMO.  Google CPU Benchmarks and look at the single thread performance of the cpu you're looking to use and compare.   My rule of thumb is nothing less than 1500 rating then make sure each grid has 1-2 cores here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

• Thanks 1

The course of the discussion in this topic started TOO well, so as not to stumble upon someone's disputes in the end. I want to say thank you to everyone who responded here, even if "nothing new" was said. If several people confirm the same information, this indicates that the information is up-to-date and verified. I'm just glad to read the same thing twice, it helps me make a choice. So thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. If my hard drive survives this month, I'll start experimenting with CPU and RAM as you suggested.

Edited by Juamanix