Momo Ochita

hardware spec required for a private server

As title say, I'm looking for some spec on CPU and RAM for a possible 5x5...

i was looking for CPU at some amd ryzen 7, they are good at it? or i7 are better?

And for RAM, what's the best? 

this doesn't help at all...

just asking for some idea of build, if not possible 5x5 (how it's not possible?) even smaller like 4x4... no one want to take a ws/pc/server and spend money and after get something you can't use for what you bought for

Some baseline:

for every grid you want 1 CPU + 3GB of memory, assuming that each grid only hosts 4 islands and only 1 connected player. You also probably want to reserve 1 core for the redis server + 1 core for the operating system. So if you want a 5x5 you need either some multi socket server or multiple machines.

I am running my servers on a 2.4Ghz Xeon, and it works fine (although i set the tickrate to 15 in the Engine.ini), but, i also am not running 25 grids

5 minutes ago, Momo Ochita said:

this doesn't help at all...

just asking for some idea of build, if not possible 5x5 (how it's not possible?) even smaller like 4x4... no one want to take a ws/pc/server and spend money and after get something you can't use for what you bought for

Ram is the killer.   Allow 6gb per grid to start and expect ti to grow as players use stuff and build things.  MAny well tell you to get intel i7, but they are wrong, go with a ryzen adn get twice as many cores. It will only make a difference if all your cores are maxed out, and by the time you max out all  cores on a ryzen the i7 has already melted so 🙂 

But ram is the thing, each sector in a grid is like running a single ark server, not exactly but you get the idea, so you're wanting to run 25 ark servers on one machine, need lots of ram.

Going for a multi socket or a CPU such as the Ryzen 2990WX might work, however if memory bandwidth is insufficient then there will be a bottleneck again.I don't know how much memory bandwidth Atlas tends to consume as I haven't monitored that, I only know how much memory it actually consumes.

17 hours ago, Momo Ochita said:

i was looking for CPU at some amd ryzen 7, they are good at it? or i7 are better?

Map 3x3 with 0 players connected http://prntscr.com/me7a2y With an Intel  i7-7700K OC - 4c/8t - 5GHz, 64Go DDR4 2400 MHz and a NVMe hard drive.

But the RAM usage with also depend how many island do you have on each grid. 

Our server i7 2nd gen with 16 gb ram is at 75% usage for 4 grid's and starting up takes around 380 seconds.
It's slow but stable so far hosting up to 20 ppl online at the same time (usage increases by time!).

In compare, same server (for testing purpose before putting it online) on my gaming pc, i7 7700k with 32gb ram,
runs smoothly at 35% usage (me and up to one friend testing).

To calculate what hardware would be best, it depends on how many ppl will be online, how many islands per grid,
how much they are going to build and stress your server. As even the official go by 4 grid's per ip (server) you should
think about if a 5x5 would work on a single pc.

Edited by Firedragon
  • Haha 1

To run my 3x2, I need ~30 to 35gb ram, and it eats 50 to 60% of a modern 4 core CPU.

You're looking at 1 to 2 servers per 2 to 3ghz per core, mileage will vary based on CPU of course. and 4 to 6gb ram, per server.

Going from there, to run a 5x5 you're looking at 25 servers; so ideally 12 to 24 cores + 25 * 6 gb ram. So with that you're going into (dual) CPU and high ram server hardware territory. So ram wise alone you need 150gb, whereas 200gb probably is more on the safe side as stuff spills over the 4 to 6gb as times goes on.

5 hours ago, Dofolo said:

To run my 3x2, I need ~30 to 35gb ram, and it eats 50 to 60% of a modern 4 core CPU.

You're looking at 1 to 2 servers per 2 to 3ghz per core, mileage will vary based on CPU of course. and 4 to 6gb ram, per server.

Going from there, to run a 5x5 you're looking at 25 servers; so ideally 12 to 24 cores + 25 * 6 gb ram. So with that you're going into (dual) CPU and high ram server hardware territory. So ram wise alone you need 150gb, whereas 200gb probably is more on the safe side as stuff spills over the 4 to 6gb as times goes on.

yea, a 5x5 grid is too ambitious for 99% of us 🙂

I have a previous gen system running a i7-4790K CPU, 16GB RAM (2400), Gforce 970 GPU, and an older 7200 RPM hard drive.  I am able to run 5 servers (using the server tool created by ChromeSDK) and play on the same machine with the highest graphic settings with no issues.  My bottlenecks are load times (due to my slow old HDD) which takes about 5-10 mins to start up and total RAM space.  The CPU itself sits at 20% or less so that doesn't really seem to be the issue.  I only play with one other person so more people may cause the CPU to work more.  As others have mentioned before each server seems to consume about 3GB of RAM so @16GB I was at my limit (I upgraded to 32GB yesterday and I still sit @ about 16GB used).

Just extrapolating... a full-time 5x5 grid would require 75GB or RAM to run smoothly.  It may still work with less RAM but it will likely depend on where the active players are located.  If all players are on the same server, it may run better than if spread across multiple servers which will probably tax your CPU much more.

If you spend 30 seconds searching with intelligent criteria you would find hundreds, if not thousands of places where minimum server specks have been mentioned. But to make it easier for you

2 cores above 3Ghz and 4-6 GB RAM per grid and NOT running in a VM. A little Ryzen 7 can barely manage 8 grids IF it has 28GB of RAM to back it up. 

If you want real a real performer look at the old dual x5690 boards and 128+GB RAM. Easily 24 grids and half the price!

What about an older server that runs dual CPU Xeon Processors 4 cores each(2.4ghz), and 32GB ram?

4 minutes ago, Maji said:

What about an older server that runs dual CPU Xeon Processors 4 cores each(2.4ghz), and 32GB ram?

What did I JUST get done saying?

We are running on Dell R710s with dual x5690 and 144GB RAM. Each one runs 24 grids with ease. And cost about $750 each

We are running 15x15  (less 20 corner grids, 205 grids) on the following machines:

1. HP GL580 512GB ram 4x Xenon X7560 ...

2. Dell R710 128gb 4x Xenon something... 

Empty grid avg ram 2.5, CPU %2

5 persons and buildings avg. 3GB and 10 - 15 cpu. 

The spec's are wildly variable. Best bet is hit Ebay. Buy a Dell 410 or some such with 128gb ram.  Begin the journey of frustration that is Grapeshot's lack of documentation. 

• Like 1

There is no 4 CPU R710. The R700 series is dual CPU only. It Might be an R810, but those are only 8 core CPUs and cost a fortune. I dont know anything about the HPs

The best source for R710s is Newegg.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:41 AM, Momo Ochita said:

I'm using a i-5 (gen2) 16gb of ram and 4 grids will smash the cpu to 100%.  3 grids =  75-80% cpu usage.   I have a 3x3 separated between multiple machines

Basically, for every grid, you will need 2 threads (4 CPU cores = 4 threads sometimes 8).   5x5 = 25 servers or 50 threads and 100GB of ram (min).   (2) Dual Xeon box (server) is what you will need for a 5x5 or if you have a few PCs laying about you do what I did (spread it out over a bunch of potato boxes).  Xeon's usually deliver about 12 threads per CPU.  24 threads / 2 = 12 servers = 4x3 grid.  you probably are looking at 350.00+ (per server) or more (depending on the age of the server) for two Xeon dual CPU servers with about 64GB of ram each.  

OR (if you have money literally dripping out of your orafice)

you can do something like... 8U/multi-core, Scaleable Xeon's (not that I recommend supermicro but omg....)

448 threads = 224 servers = 15x14 grid. 

Edited by RogerRoger101

40 minutes ago, RogerRoger101 said:

I'm using a i-5 (gen2) 16gb of ram and 4 grids will smash the cpu to 100%.  3 grids =  75-80% cpu usage.   I have a 3x3 separated between multiple machines

Basically, for every grid, you will need 2 threads (4 CPU cores = 4 threads sometimes 8).   5x5 = 25 servers or 50 threads and 100GB of ram (min).   (2) Dual Xeon box (server) is what you will need for a 5x5 or if you have a few PCs laying about you do what I did (spread it out over a bunch of potato boxes).  Xeon's usually deliver about 12 threads per CPU.  24 threads / 2 = 12 servers = 4x3 grid.  you probably are looking at 350.00+ (per server) or more (depending on the age of the server) for two Xeon dual CPU servers with about 64GB of ram each.  

OR (if you have money literally dripping out of your orafice)

you can do something like... 8U/multi-core, Scaleable Xeon's (not that I recommend supermicro but omg....)

448 threads = 224 servers = 15x14 grid. 

So... what was already said.

2 minutes ago, smooreace said:

So... what was already said.

are you mad millennial just because someone added more specific information that you may have not known?

Lol... that explains everything! Barely 3 brain cells to rub together!  We need little baboons like you to clean our toilets! 

Just a little hint... if youre going to pretend to be smart, try at least being smart enough to use grade-school grammar!

1 minute ago, smooreace said:

Lol... that explains everything! Barely 3 brain cells to rub together!  We need little baboons like you to clean our toilets! 

Just a little hint... if youre going to pretend to be smart, try at least being smart enough to use grade-school grammar!

hey grampa just shh and go to bed.