Sign in to follow this  
UDO

remove timers when swapping or picking up tools

why this mechanic is in the game , all it does it stop gameplay for the time it takes for timers to countdown , taking players ability to do anything  waiting for timers to countdown to carry on with what we were doing is very poor game design as the idea is for player to play the game not stand about waiting before they can do what they want to do ...

while on subject of stupid game mechanics remove the damn mini games from reloading guns how is that fun ? just have it as a timer per action during the animation most of the time i just let reload with out clicking as its a stupid mechanic 

Edited by UDO
  • Sad 1

So instead of Reloading i Carry 20 Loaded Pistols and Just change them all the Time? Yeah sounds funny....

8 minutes ago, Jorm said:

So instead of Reloading i Carry 20 Loaded Pistols and Just change them all the Time? Yeah sounds funny....

exactly , swap them over then wait for timer to countdown or reload them taking 20 seconds while playing a silly mini game when being attacked 😕 hmmm yeah great mechanic 

12 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

There are lots of things in this game that are intolerable.  Those two are not anywhere on my list.

so u though u would reply to a topic that u have no concerns about anyway ? just to what ? show that u dont care or just as there isnt anything else that u feel u needed to reply too ?

so we shall say u are in the camp of liking the mechanic playing a mini game while being attacked 😕  

CDs are often used in MMOs to prevent split second on the fly weapon changes which affect pvp outcome. While some say it should only affect weapons and not tools, that too is part of the pvp system. If someone catches you off guard, you have to react and the penalty for being caught off guard is waiting for the change out. Timers are a minor annoyance but I understand their purpose.

As for mini-games, those are something that affects the efficiency of the task you are doing. Want to get more water out of the ground, play the game...want to reload faster or repair faster, play the game. If you want to sit there and not engage in the system and reload without it, well that's entirely up to you...you be you and continue to be inefficient; however, the rest of us will attempt it. Those aren't even annoying, although it sounds like you are just bad at them. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, UDO said:

so u though u would reply to a topic that u have no concerns about anyway ? just to what ? show that u dont care or just as there isnt anything else that u feel u needed to reply too ?

so we shall say u are in the camp of liking the mechanic playing a mini game while being attacked 😕  

You seem angry somebody does not agree with you. The person does not say he does not care about bad game mechanics, just that he/her does not think this is a bad mechanic.

I like the timers and I think it is a good thing they are in the game. This makes you plan ahead more and makes the game more strategic.
I hope my opinion will not anger you.

44 minutes ago, The real Captain Obvious said:

You seem angry somebody does not agree with you. The person does not say he does not care about bad game mechanics, just that he/her does not think this is a bad mechanic.

I like the timers and I think it is a good thing they are in the game. This makes you plan ahead more and makes the game more strategic.
I hope my opinion will not anger you.

timers are all screwed up they dont all countdown at saem time so in real terms your supposed 5 second timer is dependant on where u place them on the hot bar and this is considered ok ? surly they should all countdown at same time using hteor respective timers , 

ie u place pistol say slots 2 and 3 and bow on 1 or rifle u wait 10 -16 seconds before the pistol countdown starts and so on , so u can actaully wait over 60 seconds to use something u may have placed further along the hotbar ? 

they should all countdown at same time so that the shown countdown is correct not 5 seconds plus the time it takes all the other hotbars to complete  

14 minutes ago, UDO said:

timers are all screwed up they dont all countdown at saem time so in real terms your supposed 5 second timer is dependant on where u place them on the hot bar and this is considered ok ? surly they should all countdown at same time using hteor respective timers , 

ie u place pistol say slots 2 and 3 and bow on 1 or rifle u wait 10 -16 seconds before the pistol countdown starts and so on , so u can actaully wait over 60 seconds to use something u may have placed further along the hotbar ? 

they should all countdown at same time so that the shown countdown is correct not 5 seconds plus the time it takes all the other hotbars to complete  

I'd have to disagree, the timers 100% are counting down as they are intended to, 1 at a time with the first slot taking priority.  This has been the same since day 1.  Each item has a different countdown timer so weapons you need first are beneficial to have in the first slot.   If you are worried about speed have a bow and stop worrying about pistols or keep multiple loaded pistols and switch them using left alt(switches to the next loaded pistol).  This mechanic has benefits and downfalls, you are seeing only the downfalls because it adds to the difficulty of your game.  This perceived added difficulty is there to help balance pvpve interaction, you get caught off guard by an animal and you are going to have a bad day, same as if you get caught off guard by a person in pvp.  There are plenty of hotbar slots to have a 2 h weapon(spear, bow, rifle), several pistol, a pick and a hatchet. 

My usual load out is Bow on 1, bola on 2, pistol on 3 and 4, spyglass on 5, grapple on 6, sickle/hammer/alternative tool on 7, lantern/torch on 8, and taming item if I'm taming on 0, 9 is for whatever or a glider.

You can work within these mechanics and they aren't a huge detriment it just means that when prepping for new gear you have to wait a bit.  

• Like 1

what i'm getting at i know its been like it since day 1 but it really shouldn't be like it , if players are happy that it takes so long to be able to use items depending on where they are place d on hotbar then ok , but i personally think it's ridiculous and serves no purpose at all other than to artificially slow down the game play , game design isn't about stopping game play its about having it flow to be enjoyable ,  

hotbar position shouldnt be dictating cds

mini games when trying to fight mobs is not a good mechanic , trying to hit a silly white marker while running about , if u miss it takes even longer to do anything , it needs to be removed from reloading of guns, its not there for the bow , its not there for cannons or swivel guns or any other items that needs reloading ,

mini games for reloading needs to go , or added to cannons and swivels bows to make it seem like it was planned mechanic instead of just tagged on to see how it goes 

Edited by UDO

Playing the mini game or not playing it, it's still gonna be slow.  They balanced it based on the type of weapon.  Bows are near instant because it doesn't take long to grab an arrow.  It takes time to pour black powder and put a round in the guns we use then tamping them down as well.  

Hotbar only dictates it if you are putting on multiple items it will go 1 to 0.  If you are just dropping 1 item on the hotbar it doesn't adjust the cooldown to be more that is item based. 

I'd be fine to add it in the cannons/swivels at least that would add the ability to speed up the reload directly rather than just through passive skills.