Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Wind should affect ship speed based on design of ship (unseaworthy ship complaint)

Ships in Atlas are just getting more and more ugly, and as a matter of fact, unseaworthy.

Some of the ships we see going out would "turtle" (roll upside down) at the first strong wind.

Others would move at a snails pace due to the surface area being presented to the wind above the deck line.

Yes, its awesome we can build interesting designs, but lets keep that to cabins and below deck, not these god awful monstrosities we see on the sea now that would never sail in real life given the technology of the time.

At least penalize folks if they want to build a wall 3 high of 30 large cannons all on one side of the ship, all well above the water line.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

Ships in Atlas are just getting more and more ugly, and as a matter of fact, unseaworthy.

The game has 999 problems, and this ain't one of them.

LOL, sorry as much as I want realism in my games... wanting realism in ship design in this game where we have dragons, cyclops, yeti, and GIANT snakes just doesnt mesh.

I mean every ship in this game would fail horribly in a real life situation.  They lack any form of ballast and have a non-existent keel.   Then the little rudder on most of them wouldnt work due to the size, and then the placement of the anchor not to mention size, would be horrible on a smaller designs.  It would be in the way of most of the working parts to the rudder controls.  And you dont want an anchor beating against the back of your ship... that would be a horrible idea.  

The lack of a functional bowsprit and no staysails, jib sail, or really any of the actual working sails on the mast.   

Then we have cannons that are operated by one person with a rate of fire that would rival that of a modern day bolt action.  And they lob rounds so slow you can actually outrun them.

Then the largest rounds we fire are 10kg or 22lb each, and those guns are MASSIVE, unlike the real guns of that size... they were big but not that big.  

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

LOL, sorry as much as I want realism in my games... wanting realism in ship design in this game where we have dragons, cyclops, yeti, and GIANT snakes just doesnt mesh.

Weeelll yes but still i'd kinda wish we had more realistic designs viable otherwise we'll be left with just the billion cannons on one side turtleships in no time. Our ships were never balanced around those steampunk-ish designs. 

4 hours ago, Shintai said:

Agree. Sailing is already way too much arcade design of fantasy ships.

Nope. This isn't one of those games where you must connect the wheel with cable to the rudder and optimize the ship design for speed. I don't play those games for a reason. Would suck if they added that.

2 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Nope. This isn't one of those games where you must connect the wheel with cable to the rudder and optimize the ship design for speed. I don't play those games for a reason. Would suck if they added that.

It already is.

30% speed without wind etc.

The ability to be creative in this game is probably the best part of it. Anything that limits this is probably not a positive direction for the game.

2 minutes ago, Axden1 said:

The ability to be creative in this game is probably the best part of it. Anything that limits this is probably not a positive direction for the game.

There is a different between being creative and ships that have 45 cannons all one one side on platforms built above deck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

There is a different between being creative and ships that have 45 cannons all one one side on platforms built above deck.

I can take a stab at why they didn't build ships like this in real life, and I'm guessing it would be because it would fall over sideways and sink without a comparable counterweight on the other side. If I were a pvp player I would call this a slippery slope, as people, knowing them, will start coming up with equally ridiculous designs to counter or surpass this.

Pve side it would be less of a concern to me personally, but from a dev standpoint, I can see it getting nerfed because of the potential of trivializing content. All that said, I can also see the entertainment value in it in the short term. 

1 hour ago, Shintai said:

It already is.

30% speed without wind etc.

Did you read what I wrote? I don't want making the ship be an engineering feat . So I don't want it to be any harder to build and sail one than it already is.

The 30% speed into the wind or without wind as you call it makes sailing easier, which in my opinion is a good thing.

This thread is about making sailing harder, which in my opinion is the opposite direction most players want the game to go. Also if you read the latest news:

You would see that the devs have been watching what the players want, and agree, making the game more accessible and easy for the more casual player is the direction they want to go. They don't want features that exclude all but the hard core or require too much of a time investment and difficulty to master.

1 hour ago, Warspectre said:

I can take a stab at why they didn't build ships like this in real life, and I'm guessing it would be because it would fall over sideways and sink without a comparable counterweight on the other side. If I were a pvp player I would call this a slippery slope, as people, knowing them, will start coming up with equally ridiculous designs to counter or surpass this.

Pve side it would be less of a concern to me personally, but from a dev standpoint, I can see it getting nerfed because of the potential of trivializing content. All that said, I can also see the entertainment value in it in the short term. 

This is probably why people in real life don't have ships like this and instead play a game like Atlas where they can live out there fantasies 🙂

2 hours ago, Warspectre said:

This is true... but you can build that SAME ship with twice the guns that one has...  

You dont build the top two floors above the weather deck and you add a second gundeck.   

I tested on a Schooner, I was able to double its broadside firepower from 5 guns to 10 guns a side AND 2 bow chasers and 2 stern chasers... just doing that.  And the ship didn't get over 60% weight, and once I leveled it to level 20 I could man EVERY gun on it and both sails.   

The ship was not super fast but it hit way above its level with that many guns.  

13 minutes ago, Hodo said:

This is true... but you can build that SAME ship with twice the guns that one has...  

You dont build the top two floors above the weather deck and you add a second gundeck.   

I tested on a Schooner, I was able to double its broadside firepower from 5 guns to 10 guns a side AND 2 bow chasers and 2 stern chasers... just doing that.  And the ship didn't get over 60% weight, and once I leveled it to level 20 I could man EVERY gun on it and both sails.   

The ship was not super fast but it hit way above its level with that many guns.  

That's the kind of thing I like doing. My first Sloop had 6 cannons on it. Admittedly it was more than a little cramped but I still did it. I was new to the game though and I didn't realize I would never be able to have enough crew to man all those guns but oh well. 

2 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

That's the kind of thing I like doing. My first Sloop had 6 cannons on it. Admittedly it was more than a little cramped but I still did it. I was new to the game though and I didn't realize I would never be able to have enough crew to man all those guns but oh well. 

You could man it.... it would have been the first 12 levels on crew.  But those are easy to get once you kill a couple of SotD.  I took my most recent sloop, from level 1 to 28 in one night about 4 hours hunting SotD with 2 large cannons on the back.

9 minutes ago, Hodo said:

You could man it.... it would have been the first 12 levels on crew.  But those are easy to get once you kill a couple of SotD.  I took my most recent sloop, from level 1 to 28 in one night about 4 hours hunting SotD with 2 large cannons on the back.

I was told Sloops were hard capped at 5 crew but I never tested it myself. I did toy with the idea of putting large cannons on the sloop like that, interesting to know it works. 

5 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I was told Sloops were hard capped at 5 crew but I never tested it myself. I did toy with the idea of putting large cannons on the sloop like that, interesting to know it works. 

I hadnt tested, I can check tonight when I get home.. I think I have 6 on mine.  Because I know I have 2 on guns, 1 on the sail, and then me and I picked up 2 who were from a SotD kill.   And didnt have any issues bringing them back.

Hhm, they can't stop people from making 'ugly' ships but the amount of cannons we are able to put on a ship is a bit unrealistic in some cases. Take the NerdParade video as example. 

I agree they should probably put a build restriction below the sails to keep you from building into where the sails drop into. I also wouldn't mind seeing ship weight balancing to a degree although that would probably be a lot of work to implement balancing a ships load for little reward but I wouldn't mind it either, too much weight on one side, taking a hard turn, over she goes... Most of my ships would look like a dragster taking off atm since the resource chest in the back is packed full of most of the weight since it holds tons of stuff. I am hoping they address that at some point and you actually have to build storage in the boat down the road. Limiting sloops to X amount of repair materials only, with a bit more for each ship class up to galleons etc. They probably need to make storage boxes have some more inventory first though on land. Would love to see the storage stuff turn into ship themed items when placed on boats like like crates, barrels and chests. The preservation bag already does this well in both of its environments but the storage box just doesn't look like it belongs on a ship.

48 minutes ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

I agree they should probably put a build restriction below the sails to keep you from building into where the sails drop into. I also wouldn't mind seeing ship weight balancing to a degree although that would probably be a lot of work to implement balancing a ships load for little reward but I wouldn't mind it either, too much weight on one side, taking a hard turn, over she goes... Most of my ships would look like a dragster taking off atm since the resource chest in the back is packed full of most of the weight since it holds tons of stuff. I am hoping they address that at some point and you actually have to build storage in the boat down the road. Limiting sloops to X amount of repair materials only, with a bit more for each ship class up to galleons etc. They probably need to make storage boxes have some more inventory first though on land. Would love to see the storage stuff turn into ship themed items when placed on boats like like crates, barrels and chests. The preservation bag already does this well in both of its environments but the storage box just doesn't look like it belongs on a ship.

The weight in the resource chest adds to the ships weight.  Your ship may look like a dragster but that maybe because your ships acceleration is not tied to its weight.  The top speed is.

Which is why the weight sail is pointless....  completely pointless.