archaegeo

For the love of God, let it just rain at sea.... (Cyclone suggestion)

I dont know of anyone who doesnt hate the current cyclone mechanic.  It is not exciting, it is not even dangerous if you choose to play it, its just tedious, and its every single time it rains.

There should 100% just be normal big wave storms that reduce visibility, maybe do the cold thing, but most of all, just rain at sea.

Suggested fix:

Cyclones should be their own uncommon weather event that wanders across a grid and is visible from a long distance.

You can choose to sail around them, or if you choose to go through them, then you have to be repairing the entire time you are inside the system.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Agree, currently the homing cyclones are not only an annoyance without any danger. It´s also an abuse mechanic to sink anchored ships that is too far from the shore.

• Like 1

cyclones are the worst part of the game right now. they should exist as storm systems that move independantly of players rather than the "spawn on players" model. and they should be rare, not guarenteed.

• Like 4

Seeing as I rarely sail anything bigger than a schooner, I sail right through them.  They just arent worth the time for me to worry about them.  But the most fun I have had sailing was through an archipelago with shallow areas and rocks, in the fog during a storm.  That was fun navigating.  

I love cyclones but that said if they were a bit more rare would be nice, I like your post about other storms, huge waves and rain, add some fog cold etc but not a wall of cyclones all the time. 

One of my favorite battles with SOTD was in a cyclone. Was Epic.

Slightly more rare as they can fuck up an invasion raid pretty hard, other than that I don't mind them

I was always ignoring them and sail through,sometimes if my ship hasnt repaired then i try to avoid them but lately im always on galleon and just straight through them. No point dodging when they literally spawn infront of on top of you. Not fun

If they just spawned randomly in the sea I would be fine, but the homing mechanic is the problem

• Like 4

To me cyclones are the worst part of this game hands down! Not interesting! Not fun! Waste of time! They just stop you from playing the game until they end.

They are like the 100 year storm that comes every 20 minutes.

Just remove them.

• Like 2

The problem with cyclones is that they just ruin whatever you are currently doing, and you just have to sail through them for 10 minutes. 

Fights with SoTD's, hunting flotsam etc. A cyclone starts? Oh well, ten minutes of dodging spouts with nothing to show for it.

• Like 3

It will be sunny, hot, and clear skys... then suddenly rain and cyclones surrounding you with literally no chance, warning, or time to head to the nearest island to anchor till the storm passes.  It is probably just my bad luck but I always seem to have it start to rain as soon as I see 5+ ghost ships on the horizon and inevitably get pushed straight into them.  This has happened so often that every time I see a ghost ship, I fully expect it to start raining.

• Like 2

Yeah, it was scary and exciting the first time, but after that, it's just a nuisance that adds nothing to the game as a player and goes on far too long. So yeah, this has my vote to get some down tuning. 

Ya, I hate them not because they are all that dangerous, but because they are a waste of time. I either am waiting for rain before setting out on a ship journey, or sitting out the rain anchored somewhere, waiting for it to end.

I now realize that when I get stuck in rain at sea, to just wait it out. I've only taken serious damage or sunk when the cyclone starts when I'm very close to shore and attempt to go in to anchor. The visibility is so bad, it is very easy to run aground and sink the ship.

i think the tornado mechanic is interesting. like if there was a raid event where you have to board an evil ship in the storms to do a thing, that would be fun. but getting torandoed while sailing to get paste so i can put a door on my outhouse...isn't.

I agree with tuning them down a bit, either in duration or frequency.  A regular rainstorm without the tornado would be pretty cool as well.  I'm pretty sure I encountered that in a tropical region briefly - rain without tornadoes, so it can be done.

5 minutes ago, Defixio said:

i think the tornado mechanic is interesting. like if there was a raid event where you have to board an evil ship in the storms to do a thing, that would be fun. but getting torandoed while sailing to get paste so i can put a door on my outhouse...isn't.

Ya, one way to fix it would be to make it correspond with some event other than rain. Like around a certain type of island that has some kind of reward for going there. Or some type of SotD that generates the cyclones.

ARK Scorched Earth had the sandstorms. They occurred every so often and were just as annoying as these cyclones, although they happened separately from the rain, so happened less often. Many of the weather events seem to have come from that version of ARK. The heat waves were in Scorched Earth too.

to be clear folks hate engaging in the tornados. Mmany folks sail along zone walls. if a tornado happens, they cross over. If they're about to go on a great adventure sailing and it begins to drizzle,  they drop anchor and play cards until the rain clears. if rain is encountered mid journey, folks will divert to an island to anchor.

it's just not worth playing with them.

My opinion, And suggestion.

Make cyclones and rain a REAL weather event. Take the time to model these events correctly. It should NOT affect the whole grid. Give us a build up. Maybe the wind shifts prior to a storm, maybe it gets really dark in a area and you can see heat lightening in the clouds. Maybe it's just a slight rain for awhile.

But Cyclones? They should be rare, They should be avoidable and not a mob that you spawn on top of players. They should be off in the distance that maybe pulls you in via wind direction if you get to close. 

Their damage should be tripled or more! They should be something you want to avoid or have risk of heavy damage. 

The weather system in Sea of thieves, is honestly the ONLY thing that game has over Atlas at the moment. How weather and storms are handled in that game was really immersive. It got dark, You could see blackness on the horizon, Lightening and thick fog. You knew there was a storm over there. You knew it would really mess you up, and most importantly you knew to avoid it if all possible.

Atlas is really amazing in my opinion. They have done a fantastic job on the waves and ocean in general. But they could take it to the next level if they just spend some time on a very important aspect of the weather out in the oceans.

• Like 1

im taking more damage sitting still and the cyclones are hitting me  and they do 200-500 damage per time they hit my brig , this is not fun nor needed, im sitting still and they will hit me and i take all from 500-2500 damage , so they need to make them rarer, storms sure, but cyclones all the time no thanks

• Like 1

yea i hate the storm since day 2. there is no real weather system in this game its just a bunch of random triggers. same with temperatures... -52°Celcius at the bottom of the ocean! LOL what a joke.

16 hours ago, Defixio said:

to be clear folks hate engaging in the tornados. Mmany folks sail along zone walls. if a tornado happens, they cross over. If they're about to go on a great adventure sailing and it begins to drizzle,  they drop anchor and play cards until the rain clears. if rain is encountered mid journey, folks will divert to an island to anchor.

it's just not worth playing with them.

Yeah, that's what I do to avoid them on long trips. I ride the grid line and at the first sign I cross over to the next grid. But, that does not help within the grid.

I can't say how many times I've been within 60 seconds of my dock and one hits. Now I spend the next 10 minutes driving in circles.

These and some of the other things really make me wonder about the direction the devs are taking the game. It seems too often to be in the direction of endless grinding in a world that wants to destroy everything you have grinded for at every turn. I understand the idea of challenge but so often its just challenging my tolerance.

I really do like this game. I hope they get some of these things worked out quickly.

2 hours ago, TheCoolGuy said:

yea i hate the storm since day 2. there is no real weather system in this game its just a bunch of random triggers. same with temperatures... -52°Celcius at the bottom of the ocean! LOL what a joke.

Yeah, ocean water freezes at around -2c, so im completely baffled how its -52c down deep.

2 hours ago, archaegeo said:

Yeah, ocean water freezes at around -2c, so im completely baffled how its -52c down deep.

Not Earth...

And it can get VERY cold down deep depending on the pressure and saline levels.